The Swarm

JoshC.

Throughput can be improved in multiple ways. Multiple trains help but the size of the train is a great influence. Maverick is a good example, 6 tains but 12 per train so can olny achive something like 1200pph where as millenium force with 3 trains and 36 riders per train achives 1700pph with just 1 train on the track with no blocks half way round. Swarm really should have 3 trains but to have that the ride would require something after the magnetic brakes and for the magnetic brakes to be friction brakes so it can count as a block. That way when the ride team are being efficent the station wouldnt sit there empty.

Yes I know that, what I meant was that there are more than two trains so that's 30 or 40 people ...

Sorry, that still does not matter. I don't know how else to explain it.

10 people in a train of X 

28 people in a train of Swarm 

Does X dispatch a vehicle 3 times every time The Swarm dispatches one? No. It matters not a jot how many people are in the ride at any one time (how many trains there are), only how many are carried out of that station (how many trains are dispatched). X is a slower ride with blocks so more trains can in there at one time, not more dispatched.

Sorry, that still does not matter. I don't know how else to explain it.

10 people in a train of X 

28 people in a train of Swarm 

Does X dispatch a vehicle 3 times every time The Swarm dispatches one? No. It matters not a jot how many people are in the ride at any one time (how many trains there are), only how many are carried out of that station (how many trains are dispatched). X is a slower ride with blocks so more trains can in there at one time, not more dispatched.

Ah, makes sense now!  However I never said that X had a higher throughput than Swarm, as Swarm does over 1000 whereas I thought X did 900 in it's current guise (which I now know it doesn't).

Swarm's throughput can be greatly affected by a multitude of factors, such as people standing in the exit; guests being 'polite' and waiting for people to walk off the train before they go through the gate etc.

For example, the Swarm could send say 45 trains in an hour, which is 1,200 roughly if you allow for single seats to be empty. But that could mean you send those 45 trains every minute for ages, and then something causes a slow dispatch that takes a few minutes, or you could consistently send trains every minute and a half or quicker, for example*

It doesn't matter when they get dispatched, or how they get dispatched; it just simply means X number of trains makes Y as a throughput. As someone rightly said beforehand, in theory the best dispatch time is when the train hits the end of the final running brake before it turns towards the transfer/station, that way the train will never go on tick over, and they will never stack or stop; therefore meaning your turnover time is at it's maximum without stacking trains. And as long as the train doesn't stack, it doesn't matter when you send the one before, if that makes sense?

Aww no I want to add to this throughput malarky.

X.. has 10 people in a train.. say it is being dispatched once every minute (sounds like thorpe) that gives you a maximum 600. They wouldn't be able to do every 45 seconds to get the 900 required.

Swarm is sexy though. Love a good old swarm train.

Arguably the best throughputs on park? Can any rides top Swarms throughputs at thorpe?

Most probably the best on park, especially with the way the staff work on it.

Only major ride which I think could possibly match it would be Inferno, which I'd guess is around the 1000-1100 mark?  

Wildly off topic too, but what are throughputs like on Loggers / Rumba (or log flumes / rapids in general)?  I imagine on a good day they'd be able to get quite high?

• 5 months later...

Something I noticed when I visited on Saturday was that the atmosphere around the ride was the best it has ever been when I've been in the area. The soundscape and the tunes were all playing and collaborating as usually I only hear a couple of them playing at a time.

One thing which did disappoint me though was that none of the effects were working. The mist under the plane wing, the two water effects and the fire effect were all off/broken. I have heard they were working during half term, it was just a shame to see none of them on!

I noticed the lack of effects as well, it's such a shame that they install these effects on their coasters and then never bother to use them!  The Swarm is supposed to have mist under the plane wing and coming out from under the helicopter, water jets from the fire engine and helicopter, the two water sprays as the train goes past, alien noise in the tower building and under the first drop (currently only plays under the drop), fire explosion, LED's on the train and several other smaller things.  The only ones I noticed in Feb half term were the fire explosion on one of the days and alien noise under the drop.

It's such a shame that they install these effects and never use them, it was the same throughout most of the 2014 season - for a coaster that relies so much on the theming and experience rather than the ride itself, it's very poor that they aren't maintaining these effects, and it makes you wonder why they bothered to install them in the first place!

Also, the theming looks rotten and tired already - it's supposed to look like the crashes have just happened but there's moss growing on the plane, fire engine, church and queueline, the signage is peeling from the billboard and the entire area could do with a jet wash!  It really wouldn't take much to give things a clean once in a while, especially considering that it has just been closed for months.

For a relatively new ride it's just poor.