The Swarm

JoshC.

As far as I know, a Swarm train won't leave the lift hill until it has cleared the penultimate set of brakes (the one just before where the trains get moved into the workshop).  

On a different note, Swarm's fire effect went off every circuit today!  Though I've noticed it was going earlier than usual - just at the train was starting the zero-g roll, as opposed to when it was half way through.  Is there a reason to that that anyone knows of?

Swarm can dispatch the second the previous train leaves the lifthill.

What's the point of dispatching in the inline twist versus in the final brake run? Doesn't make operations any faster or better does it? Really confused as to why they dispatch it so early instead of giving riders an extra 10/15 seconds to get on and operations being as equally decent.

You're an idiot. As long as the following train doesn't have to sit on the brakes then OF COURSE it makes it go quicker. 15 seconds adds up over the hour, and the day. Look at the London Underground where every single second counts.

You only need them to send 4 trains 15 seconds quicker and then you've got an additional 28 riders out than you would've done (as loading is less than 60 seconds on Swarm).

What's the point of dispatching in the inline twist versus in the final brake run? Doesn't make operations any faster or better does it? Really confused as to why they dispatch it so early instead of giving riders an extra 10/15 seconds to get on and operations being as equally decent.

It makes operations faster as the trains are being sent more often each hour.  I wish they ran Swarm like this all the time.

I could be wrong here, but I believe they can dispatch it before the other train hits the breakrun but the train will crawl up the lift quite slowly until the other train has hit the breaks, it sometimes stops on the lifthill for a few seconds if dispatched very early. (I think)

That is exactly what happened. Crawled up probably about half way, then regained normal speed. Never stopped though.

It doesn't actually make operations faster if you think about it. As long as the train isn't STOPPED in the break run before entering the station, the throughput is EXACTLY the same. If there were more trains running, it would be different but on a 2 train op it won't make throughput any higher if the train is dispatched in the inline twist versus in the final break run(as long as it's not stopped).

Don't call me an idiot, it's rude and you have no structure to your point so if you want it be rude to me, make a good point instead of firing a load of rubbish at me and being extremely rude about it.

If you send the train as quickly as you can on Swarm, you will get higher throughputs. It's really not a difficult concept.

Please explain to me how sending the train when the other is in the inline twist versus in the break run makes any difference at all. Surely then you will have an empty station of people waiting for the next train for about 15secs before they can board?

I'm not dumb, I just fail to see behind this.

Please explain to me how sending the train when the other is in the inline twist versus in the break run makes any difference at all. Surely then you will have an empty station of people waiting for the next train for about 15secs before they can board?

I'm not dumb, I just fail to see behind this.

Think about what you are saying, you are being quite dumb. Sorry!

Getting the ride dispatched sooner means it will leave the top of the lift hill at the very earliest opportunity, in turn the one after can leave the lift hill all the sooner if the other train is further ahead. This accumulates quickly to push up the throughput. Also, with the other train gone the finishing ride glides straight in without stopping, saving more time.

It really does work.

Think about what you are saying, you are being quite dumb. Sorry!

Even if I am being so dumb about all of this , there is no need for some people to be so rude about it. Everyone else can think about what they say before being so horrid just because I asked a question which I couldn't see a justified answer to.

Cannot be bothered to argue with any of you anymore. Maybe I'm wrong , but it doesn't mean you all have to have a massive go at me for doing so. People make mistakes and have different opinions, everyone is an individual, and you don't have to have a go at me for being me. Fed up with several people feeling like they can control everyone's opinions on here(it's happening to others aswell). Everyone has their own opinion and the right to think the way they want, I was merely asking a question which I didn't understand.

I hope this post wasn't too dumb or idiotic for any of you either?

I fully understand what you are saying, it doesn't matter if the train is sent quicker if the second train isn't anywhere near the station. As long as the train is being sent before the second train arrives at the station through put is at a max (to which I have yet to see on a regular basis...) and again if this pattern continues.

However if every train is sent whilst the other is on the inline as oppose to the final brake run before the turn to the station, through put would be exactly the same...

Dispatching the train before the next train has arrived at the station does improve throughput but not as simple as some people imply. There will be a point in the track where dispatching sooner will have no effect. What needs to happen to get the max throughput is to dispatch the train so it reachs the top of the lift hill by the time the 2nd train enters the station. This can be worked out by circuit time minus the lift hill. If the lift is slowing down then really its been dispatched too quickly and could have been dispatched later. (That is excluding a few things which change that but that is the simplest I can put it).

At the end of the day (heh) you aren't going to motivate a team to provide a high throughput by saying 'go fast enough to make sure the train is just far away enough so it doesn't stack', you're just going to want them to go as quickly as they bloody can. Especially considering the amount of other delays that can happen in The Swarm's station. For example if a guest has walked up the exit (happens a lot), if you've sent the train before the second has reached the brakes then as a host you'll have time to get rid of them and get back to your button before the other train stops, meaning there was no added delay at all. It massively minimises any added delays. Doing things like that is what will get you 1200+, so yes, there is always a point to going as quickly as you can.

Even if I am being so dumb about all of this , there is no need for some people to be so rude about it. Everyone else can think about what they say before being so horrid just because I asked a question which I couldn't see a justified answer to.

Cannot be bothered to argue with any of you anymore. Maybe I'm wrong , but it doesn't mean you all have to have a massive go at me for doing so. People make mistakes and have different opinions, everyone is an individual, and you don't have to have a go at me for being me. Fed up with several people feeling like they can control everyone's opinions on here(it's happening to others aswell). Everyone has their own opinion and the right to think the way they want, I was merely asking a question which I didn't understand.

I hope this post wasn't too dumb or idiotic for any of you either?

A way of thinking about it is the biggest effect on queues is guests. If staff are working fast and show urgency, this tends to follow through to the guests. For example, people normally run pretty quickly onto Dragons Fury because of the way the cars continually move through the station (the same happens on Rapids and Log Flumes). However go over to Rattlesnake and because the cars stop four times through the station, there is no urgency to guests, they take their time getting on, make themselves comfortable, faff around with bags and your throughput goes down the pot, queues spiral out of control, operator closes the window in anger etc.

I don't really see the point of Swarm operators dispatching a train super early as there is more chance of the other one playing catch up, giving one train more time to load then the other, however I don't see the harm in it if the staff are good enough for the trains to never stack. It reduces queue time is ultimately the aim so I can only see it as a benefit to everyone.

Thank you Mark, I really appreciate you writing that. I do understand it is a sense of urgency within the staff and the fact that they are putting more effort into trying to increase throughput instead of it actually being about the train being dispatched so early.

If I had received a decent answer like that in the first place, none of this would have started up. But seeing as some of you decided to call me dumb or an idiot I am going to take offence. And no, it's no the first time it's happened on this forum. I have seen many people been taken a victim by people who think they have control over others. There are some people on this forum and have no respect and decide to go round calling everyone idiotic because they think they are more superior to everyone. I'm not going to name any names but you know who you are. Get it sorted, this is meant to be a friendly community where we can share opinions and discuss theme parks, it's not a place where you can go around being horrid to everyone because you feel superior. I know I'm not an admin but some others on this forum have been victims of nasty messages by others and they would agree with me if this came up as a proper issue.

Once again get it sorted, some of you(not necessarily in this topic but in general) have very aggressive attitudes on this forum so get it sorted before this forum turns into one big massive fight.

According to Thorpe park guest services it turns out swarm operates on 1 train in the morning to, and I quote "In order to save energy we will remain on one train unless there is a demand for the second train."  They did also mention that it is down to engineers schedules in why the 2nd train is added late but just so you know why 1 train operation happens on off peak and 40 minute queues form at least you know you are saving the planet.

So in other words, if there's demand for 2 trains, they'll run 2 trains.  If there's not demand for 2 trains, they'll run 1 train.  GROUNDBREAKING.

I agree that Swarm should run 2 trains in the morning every day to be honest, given the fact it's the newest 'big thing', as well as the closest to the park entrance.  No doubt the park are aware of that, and that would be the ideal situation, so there must be a practical reason why they don't do it.  Shame really.  I guess they could change their engineering schedule or something, but I doubt any of us will know what sort of implications that could have on other rides or budgets...

Agreed. It's pretty simple to sort between rides with good/bad throughput these days though! :P

Great Throughput:

• SAW - The Ride
  • X
  • Loggers Leap
  • Rumba Rapids (sometimes)

Not-so-great Throughput:

• Colossus
  • Nemesis Inferno
  • THE SWARM

Since when did Saw the ride have a good throughput? Swap the Swarm and Saw around ;) 

Agreed. It's pretty simple to sort between rides with good/bad throughput these days though! :P

Great Throughput:

• SAW - The Ride
  • X
  • Loggers Leap
  • Rumba Rapids (sometimes)

Not-so-great Throughput:

• Colossus
  • Nemesis Inferno
  • THE SWARM

Even in terms of hitting each ride's individual targets this is... a bit wrong. X's throughputs have been dire whilst The Swarm's been doing really well (regardless of how many trains have been provided by engineering).