Colossus ERT - WEDNESDAY 4TH JULY

Marc

It really was an awesome event, I'm surprised me & Peaj and lots of others too managed all 11 rides, weird to think you can do so many inversions in just 30 mins... Felt so dizzy and my ears felt like they were on fire afterwards! :P Was great to meet some new people too, can't wait for more future meets and events like this! :)

I didn't get any pictures as we weren't allowed to get any in the ride/maintenance areas, but I look forward to seeing the ones during the ride time. A lucky few got to do a lift walk, and walking under the last inversion was cool, gives you a real sense as to how close to the ground it actually is. Random bit of cool info I learnt on the trip when we were talking to one of the members of staff about the rides computer system and how it compares to others, The Swarm's was recently slightly reprogrammed to improve the capacity by taking less speed off of the train on the top set of of magnetic brakes so that the circuit time was less = higher capacity. Ooh, there was also a cake for Colossus' tenth birthday there, aw. ^_^

Thanks to Thorpe Park and everyone who organised the trip. (and thank you Ian for the lift back to Richmond station) :D

Colossus :wub:

How some people managed 11 rides I will NEVER understand. I felt like my brain was hemorrhaging after the 3rd ride, so I quit and ran around with the camera instead, so apologies for any rubbish photos that may surface! :P

But overall I think it was really successful - many thanks to Thorpe for doing this for us, and to the staff that stayed behind!

It was nice to see people again too, and to meet some new faces. It's safe to say I look forward to future meets :)

Thank you TPM and Thorpe Park for the event! Walking up the lift hill was a very odd but awesome experience and the staff who ran the event were great. Also added birthday cake after a ridiculous amount of rerides on Colossus. Only downside of the day was The Swarm playing up and running one train but the rest of the park was pretty quiet considering school trips have started.

It was nice to meet new people and catch up with people I hadn't seen for a while.

A huge thank you to Thorpe Park for hosting the event and treating us with real warmth and kindness. The lift-hill walk was quite scary if you don't like heights, however it really was a unique way of seeing the park.. even if the whole lift wobbles quite a lot in the wind.

Very impressed at the turn out, particularly when you consider how short notice the event was planned.

Had a great time and really nice to see everyone again and only managed 10 of the 11 goes on the ride, reaffirmed to me that I am ratehr fond of the old-timer still. :)

Massive thanks to Thorpe Park and TPM for the event, it took a lot to get there but it was worth it in the end. Loved seeing everyone again, and reiterating what Mark said already, we were really made to feel welcome on our visit and I think everyone hugely appreciated it. For someone probably still too interested in how the rides work and are run, the ability to ask questions about almost anything was brilliant for me in itself! Really hope more events like this can be done again in the future. :)

Massive thanks to Thorpe Park for doing this - an ERT, tour of the ride area (as well as the chance for a lift hill walk) and workshop after park close for free is something well and truly brilliant for any park to do.

Somehow managed all 11 rides, though my shoulders have felt a bit tender today.. The tour was great too; my personal favourite being walking under the final inversion. :wub: Also great to meet some people for the first time, always nice to put faces to names and a thanks to everyone for being friendly and such. (Annnd, a thanks again to whoever offered me a lift home - though I've forgotten who that was now :$).

One thing I'd just like to say though - if we're lucky enough to have another ERT event organised, I think the 'advertised' start time should be say at least 10 minutes after park close. It was said the ERT was 6-6:30, and we didn't get on till 20 to 7 ish? I don't have a problem really with waiting around and that (did leave more opportunity to chat to people), but it just allows people to ensure they can get timings right with getting home and such. (Not a grumble - if it is coming across that way - as after all, there needs to be a bit of time given for staff to have a break, get organised, etc., but just something to consider for next time I'd say :) ).

Again, thanks to Thorpe and TPM for getting this organised, and - fingers crossed - we'll get a similar event at some point in the future! :D

One thing I'd just like to say though - if we're lucky enough to have another ERT event organised, I think the 'advertised' start time should be say at least 10 minutes after park close. It was said the ERT was 6-6:30, and we didn't get on till 20 to 7 ish? I don't have a problem really with waiting around and that (did leave more opportunity to chat to people), but it just allows people to ensure they can get timings right with getting home and such. (Not a grumble - if it is coming across that way - as after all, there needs to be a bit of time given for staff to have a break, get organised, etc., but just something to consider for next time I'd say :) ).

There was some delay with the ERT starting due to having to turn the ride off so staff could safely enter the ride area to collect a guests camera in the area, its sometimes quite hard to predict these things but we will bare this in mind next time :)

Massive thank you to Thorpe for arranging the whole event! It all went very smoothly and all the staff involved were professional yet fun and friendly throughout.

Me and Ben managed 10 rides out of the 11 sent, had to take a break about halfway! It was great fun going 10 times even if it makes you sore and dizzy (I felt like I'd had a few drinks after 10 rides!), and a few of the rides were also in the ran which added to the experience! And closing our eyes throughout one of the rides was quite odd too!

After the ERT we had a short "briefing" and then they brought out a cake and we sang happy brithday! We then lined up and drew straws as 3 people got to go up the lift hill. Mark9, Daniel9 and another member (can't remember their name!) were the lucky 3. Whilst they had their lift hill walk, the rest of us got Swarm lanyards with numbers on (which we were allowed to keep) so they could note us all down on a register, then we were split into smaller groups and taken around various areas of the ride: the maintenance workshop, brake run and underneath the final inline. All three areas were very interesting and we learnt quite a few things about the ride, and there were some things which even I didn't know despite working on it for 2 years! For example, they have wheels for winter and summer (and when its like it is at the moment they put a mixture of both wheels on!). Going under the final inline was awesome as you really see how low to th ground the ride actually gets! Oh and we got to go and touch the track ;)

We were also taken to the top section of Crust where we could get good photos of the four inlines. It's a shame that such a great and iconic view of the ride is hidden away form the public eye! :(

We then all met back and they cut the cake, although I didn't feel like having any after all those rides! They checked everyone was there (and I have to mention Ben saying "Yes Miss" when they read his name out, that was just...brilliant! :lol:) and then that was it!

So all in all, a great event and some great opportunities to leanr more about the ride and ask questions. It was also great seeing everyone again and seeing some new faces too! :D

Once again a big thank you to both TPM and Thorpe, and to the staff who stayed behind to run the event :) As Josh said, fingers crossed we will be privelaged with more events like this in the future!