2013 Changes

daboywunda

Didn't know where to put this, as it's not hugely important, but may as well put it here.

http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/RBCNGE/ngeResultsForm.aspx?intref=RU.13%2f0215

Thorpe have reapplied to have the dome open to 3:30am. It turns out that when last year's application was passed, it was only granted on a '1 year trial' (ending in May), to see if it would work out. This was probably due to the fears of local residents (on top of reducing the number of nights from 70-ish to 42).

There were many fears from the locals about this, but whether those fears have gone unfounded I dunno. One thing the application says specifically is they need a decision of it ASAP so they can organise the summer event, otherwise the organisers (so I presume MoS) may pull out and look elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see where this goes...

• 1 month later...

Didn't know where to put this, as it's not hugely important, but may as well put it here.

http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/RBCNGE/ngeResultsForm.aspx?intref=RU.13%2f0215

Thorpe have reapplied to have the dome open to 3:30am. It turns out that when last year's application was passed, it was only granted on a '1 year trial' (ending in May), to see if it would work out. This was probably due to the fears of local residents (on top of reducing the number of nights from 70-ish to 42).

There were many fears from the locals about this, but whether those fears have gone unfounded I dunno. One thing the application says specifically is they need a decision of it ASAP so they can organise the summer event, otherwise the organisers (so I presume MoS) may pull out and look elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see where this goes...

Going back to this, the opening hours of the dome have been granted on a permanent basis - http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning%20Applications%20On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=181720&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Runnymede_AA/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning%20Application%20Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Runnymede_AA/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

So:

-The public can be in the park between 9am and midnight.

-The Dome is open to the public until 2am.

-The Dome can stay open till 3:30am up to 42 times a year, with no more than 6 per calendar month.

Good to see it's been granted. Whilst the nightclub thing isn't really for me, they seem to be quite successful at the moment, and this can only help in expanding the events and making them better!

They should give some consistent late night summer openings a try, like 22.00hrs close for the whole of the summer holidays rather than just events. See what it does for attendance generally, how much more of a spend they get out of everyone if they keep them there for two meals/a lot more snacks and also pick a bit of 'enter for the evening only' trade at a reduced gate price.

Would be worth a try, that's what I'd do. If it doesn't work out they can just stop it.

They should give some consistent late night summer openings a try, like 22.00hrs close for the whole of the summer holidays rather than just events. See what it does for attendance generally, how much more of a spend they get out of everyone if they keep them there for two meals/a lot more snacks and also pick a bit of 'enter for the evening only' trade at a reduced gate price.

Would be worth a try, that's what I'd do. If it doesn't work out they can just stop it.

Exactly, longer opening hours would be much nicer. Especially as that means on a busy day you will be able to get on more rides. If disneyland paris can be open that long, I can't see why thorpe can't be ;)

I'm not sure how it would turn out to be honest, however with the permission to have the park open late, I think thorpe should give it a go. Fright night hours should also be extended because at the moment they are being decreased :mellow:

Exactly what pluk said - 2006 was 7 years ago, the park was quite different and was still quite family orientated at that stage. With the current target market and marketing strategies, it's surely worth a go?

I guess the only thing which could be holding them back is budgets? It's all well and good have the opportunity to be open that long, but if they can't afford to (or would much rather focus late nights to the MoS events), then I guess that would indeed hold them back. As James said, the FN hours seem to be shortening, and really and truly, that's probably the best time of year to be opening really late.

Surely if they can keep some rides open till 11pm for the MoS events, they can keep the park open till 10pm for FN?

I do agree it would be nice, and I guess what has been said is true, 2006 is a long time ago, even though it dont feel it!

I guess we would need to see a busier park throughout the year though to make it possible any time soon, whilst the weather hasnt helped much it does seem fairly quiet on park.

I think it is what they offer after 6pm that is the point. If they offer nothing then I rekon the park will be dead still. If they were to offer something like, live DJ's and small bands playing around the park every weekend then people will start going there to hang out. The problem is the target audience. Thorpe's audience are teens. Teens dont tend to have that much cash to spend, which makes it a waste opening. why spend more on staff when you get nothing extra back?

I would love to see the hours open longer- on a busy day at thorpe you can't manage many rides with the current hours.

I think that I would like to see 'more' entertainment around the park in general. If thorpe had something extra to offer on peak days, it would entice more people to come. It would be great to experiment with the hours especially as the prices are already high, but the question is, can merlin budget it?

Another thing I would like to see is chessies hocus pocus halloween things hours extended...

yeah but while everyone says that they should bring back the fright night hours from the past, I'm not to sure how the staff would feel about working for that long all day. And it would be like a supermarket at night, creepy and strange at 11:00 with no one but super chavs around. ;)

I know this might be a bit optimistic but I feel these are what the hours at thorpe SHOULD be. I feel that on offpeak days the hours should be to about 7pm, peak days should be till about 9pm and fright nights and thorpe blasts till 11/12ish.

I think thorpe are actually considering extending their hours especially with this permission. Also the arena has been added to the map with people in it along with more partying people around the park. Maybe this is leading towards more entertainment?