Fright Nights 2013

Confuzzled

Why would you put actors on the rides? The capacity would drop even further, and that's the last thing the park needs.

and there isn't really much an actor can do on-ride

Not so sure what would be scary about a person in halloween make-up sitting behind you on a ride, you'd get that at fright nights anyway with all the fancy dress haha

more fright night updates on the theme park guide page, seems like on cabin in the woods, to make it 'emmersive' all they have done is put a couple of trees and stones near the entrance and repainted the stone wall entrace , to a woody colour. , I hope the maze has allot more themeing inside it and creates an emmersive envirement.

Painting some fibreglass stonework orange certainly fooled me into thinking it was made of wood.

Well what was I expecting after all? It's still massively better than most of Thorpe Park's previous Fright Nights efforts!

...Also it's interesting what they are doing with The Asylum. All of the existing exterior decor has been taken down it seems...

When people compare this to Universal's effort, it makes me want to scream.

Guys, we know Thorpe are trying to recreate HHN's success, but Thorpe's budget is almost non-existent when compared to Universal's.

Stop getting so upset when it doesn't look as impressive as anything in Orlando. If you're that bothered, get your butt down to Heathrow?

When people compare this to Universal's effort, it makes me want to scream.

Guys, we know Thorpe are trying to recreate HHN's success, but Thorpe's budget is almost non-existent when compared to Universal's.

Stop getting so upset when it doesn't look as impressive as anything in Orlando. If you're that bothered, get your butt down to Heathrow?

Yes I know Thorpe's budget is tiny compared to Universal's, but this genuinely looks like one of the haunted house things you'd see at a small seaside resort, not the UK's Thrill Capital. I'm sure it'll be impressive inside but it looks nothing like a cabin whatsoever from the outside. Of course people are going to compare the two mazes as they are the same IP and it's not like Thorpe aren't being backed by a major film company such as, oh I don't know... LIONSGATE!

I have been to Orlando and I went via Gatwick thanks.

Just to clarify, Thorpe's actual cabin set piece is inside or in a different location in that area. They uploaded a picture to instagram with a picture of the window of the cabin. By the looks of MBV they are making a huge effort and its so frustrating to see fans of Thorpe constantly criticising every move they make. The stones and trees do look much better and add some sort of a theme even if its poor compared to Universal who used to make sets for the horror films in the first place. (and yes I do understand that Universal may not have made the sets for TCITW but they have previously made horror sets)

And before we see it and see that its not up to the standards of Universal just remember the budget for Universal and the budget for Thorpe, completely different and even if Thorpe is owned by a large company, Fright Nights is popular but its no where near as popular as Universal who start their event before the month of Halloween has even begun. I am happy that Thorpe have even tried to make this event successful.

Nobody was criticising Thorpe Park that I can see. Somebody just pointed out the difference for fun because it looks pretty amusingly pathetic in comparison. I am actually excited looking at these photos. So why the big overreaction?

Plus it's actually easy for a theme park to 'theme' their rides, with the money Thorpe Park ought to have. There are people whose jobs are to meticulously design sets on restricted budgets, and not much of that expertise is on show here, that's all.

I love the look of those fir trees at least, can't have been very cheap!

Comparisons to HHN have to be expected (especially for CITW), when the park are saying you don't need to fly out to America for a great Halloween event. In that, they are pretty much saying Fright Nights will be as good as HHN; they've set the bar extremely high.

For CITW, I wasn't expecting much of an exterior - they simple don't have the logistical space, and I doubt the budget, to create of such high immersive level. Hopefully, as time goes on, we'll see more and more money splashed out into FN, and hopefully more on the actual look of the event.

We do know not to judge things based on their exterior as well; look at Se7en and Curse. They had a fair amount of good quality theming in tents, so I do expect the inside of CITW to be rather special. But as Fred says, first impressions do count, and hopefully people won't be too let down by the exterior. Then again, that will come down to expectations, and I doubt somewhat that most people will have seen Universal's attempt to compare / expect..

Ok lets think of thhe HHN vs TP thing like this.

Ticketprice: £5 with AP whilt in Orlando you would pay like £50 for the evening. Thorpepark

Rides: Thorpepark

Set design: Univeral

Coustumes: Universal

Budget: Universal

Park themeing: Universal

Mazes: Universal

Scares: TP as they are persistant and you could have an actor follow you for half the maze and not just a jump scare.

Overall: Universal but you have got to think of the value for money TP gives us to have a great night.

Ok lets think of thhe HHN vs TP thing like this.

Ticketprice: £5 with AP whilt in Orlando you would pay like £50 for the evening. Thorpepark

Rides: Thorpepark

Set design: Univeral

Coustumes: Universal

Budget: Universal

Park themeing: Universal

Mazes: Universal

Scares: TP as they are persistant and you could have an actor follow you for half the maze and not just a jump scare.

Overall: Universal but you have got to think of the value for money TP gives us to have a great night.

How are you judging 'Mazes' there? Surely a maze can only be judged on the scares, set design and costume, which you've all judged in separate categories? Just interested really. :P

Comparisons to HHN have to be expected (especially for CITW), when the park are saying you don't need to fly out to America for a great Halloween event. In that, they are pretty much saying Fright Nights will be as good as HHN; they've set the bar extremely high.

That was the quote I was looking for! I'm sure they said something along those lines but couldn't remember where it was and if I had just made it up :lol:

Speaking of Press Releases, there's been a few new ones released - http://www.thorpepark.com/press/releases/default.aspx

The most interesting one gives loads of facts:

• Over 200 scare actors – including 30 Harry Wardens, 50 monsters, 20 roaming actors but just one Billy Doll
  • 500 grizzly props – including severed fingers and limbs
  • Over 5000 metres of pathways flanked by one-way mirrors, hidden walls and doors
  • A wardrobe of over 300 costumes
  • 30 gas masks
  • 20 doctor’s gowns
  • 500 pints of fake blood
  • 10,000 litres of black paint
  • 350 sticks of theatrical make up
  • 50 strobe lights and special effect lighting
  • 40 fog machines
  • 20 air blasts
  • A creative team of over 100 people worked over 2000 hours to create the total experience

Sounds good! :D