Theme Park World

MarkC

Apart from posting there links all over the forum, they don't force us but most of the theme park sites are run by the "younger" enthusiast of us all and they do tend to mis read thing's which the other more mature of us would know the difference between fact & opinion and will then post that on their own site which then other theme park sites pick up and then get posted on the forum.

Over-all confusing us to which is true fact and which is speculation.

We need to restrict the amount of theme park sites on Facebook, because in the end they only re-post what we already know, I follow about 7 and they all post one after each other the same thing, it's silly really.

I don't really understand why people are picking on this site in particular. There are dozens of other sites like this, yet there has been no previous negativity towards them. Pointless maybe but people may enjoy running them.

Because this person/site appears to be rather abrasive, posts like they are the font of all knowledge but seems actually quite clueless, has spammed up the forums with toot and taken stuff without crediting.

I'm all for encouraging newcomers and of course it is none of my business if they set up a facebook group, but common courtesy in real life and here would be to come in with a bit of civility, get to know the people and the place, how it all works and slowly integrate themselves. Not repeatedly hit me in the face with a facebook group shaped brick.

I don't mean to be harsh, but plenty of subtler things have been said but they don't seem to be taken in by the user, although I would have rather TPW had chance to answer the question before this conversation happened. My question is worded politely and for all I know he has some fantastic ideas and connections that I want to know about and follow on facebook.

I think that a fine line needs to be reached between people's opinions on the person and the views of their site. Many people will no doubt have judgements of Theme Park World / Confuzzled as a member (and perhaps by extension, as a person), and will expect his site to mirror such judgements.

As I said in Chat last night, an increasing number of younger teenagers are having a go at these sorts of things (heck, even I had a go at one a couple of years back, which was a waste of my time really, but ah well). Being the generation brought up with technology that we are, these sorts of thing are common not only with theme park fan sites, but also in general.

The trouble with some of these sites is that they go for ideas which are perhaps too broad in aim (I won't name other names, but Theme Park World for example; suggests ALL theme parks, which no doubt this member - nor anyone really - can achieve). Yet people will try and ultimately fail and be criticised harshly. Then we also have sites claiming they'll get exclusive after exclusive, high quality media and so forth - again, something which cannot be achieved by a teenager by themselves on a free-hosted site. Some sites also steal other's works without credit, don't list sources or just make stuff up, which again is something criticised largely and gives these sort of sites 'bad names', if you will. Again, I will use the example of Theme Park World's recent 'Facebook Problems' topic, which seem to more be a less-than-subtle way of trying to get his Facebook page promoted even more; a simple 'Oh, sorry guys, this link is no longer working, I don't know why, can anyone offer any help?' in this thread would have been better, but oh well, live and learn and all that.

I have no problems with these such sites really, as long as they are run responsibly and to a good standard. If such a site steals others' works, spam other forums about their site, or whatever else, I will lose respect for it - which goes for all sites really; theme park orientated or not. After all, where would sites such as this one be of it didn't start off small?

No doubt the people who run and make these sites enjoy doing it, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. Perhaps it's a way of showing their enthusiasm or knowledge of the park, or just 'something to do'. Personally, I'd much rather not see these dozens of sites (most of which probably won't expand beyond an okay Facebook page) and instead see more good quality conversation and discussion in the 'major sites' that we've got, with new ones that are set up growing well due to them being well thought out and have a dedicated person / peoples behind them. Of course, that is an idealistic scenario, but I think it would in general make theme park sites better in the long run.

Perhaps if major sites and their communities were more welcoming to newer members and 'n00bs' (NOTE: I am not saying that everyone on every major theme park site is unwelcoming here, but there are certainly members across the majority of forums who almost go out of their way to be unnecessarily unwelcoming for no apparent reason) and gave some members a chance instead of ignoring them just because they are n00bish, some may not feel the need to create such sites, and in turn discussions such as these would not be happening. Another thing worth remembering is how everyone is of different ages, different maturity levels and so forth - every new member isn't going to be a theme park expert who knows the best way to post and such; going back to the live and learn thing I talked about earlier.

Okay, I'm rambling a lot here, but I will continue nonetheless. Constructive criticism is the best way to go for these sort of sites. For example, I'm currently confused about Theme Park World - is it a Facebook only site at the moment? Is there any particular focus of the site / page; all parks, UK parks, Merlin parks? Also, I think it is perhaps over-zealous to say the site brings "the latest news before anyone else"; especially when the site has yet to achieve that. Perhaps the page could serve as some sort of 'information check point', which can round up the news for the past however many days / weeks, and has a variety of sources, complying all the news into an easy to reach point? But then you have to ensure everything is accurate, there's a variety of sources so you're not just posting what another site has using different words, etc.

I do unfortunately think that this site / page will be another which fails to make it past the 'okay Facebook page' stage. However, there's no need to strike people down for it; after all, we all have a common interest and should support the like-minded as much as we can in continuing their enthusiasm. When people make mistakes, help them out. Perhaps with this specific member people may feel they have given him chances and helped him out enough and have decided that they've had enough. Whilst this opinion is more than fine, rather than making every chance to have a dig and such, help keep this particular forum as friendly and nice looking as possible, and try and keep quite. Take any issues to moderators and Private Messaging, try and get all of this sorted, and just help everyone get along.

Okay, I'm pretty much finished now. I understand that this is completely off topic, perhaps a little unnecessary, and what I am saying will not agree with everyone. I was going to write a final word to moderators / admin on what I think should be done to help this issue, but as I had a fair bit to say, I've posted it in the 'Feedback' topic here: http://forum.maniahu...140#entry141340

runned by the "younger" enthusiast

What; accidental irony?. Anyway, fair enough if they are negative but I don't see any problem with neutral stuff.

Over-all confusing us to which is true fact and which is speculation.

This is done everywhere, including this forum. It's just easier to see everything not posted from an official source as speculation. The people who have the facts won't risk their jobs telling us.

I don't really wish to get any more involved with this but something to bear in mind here is: it seems the people who "have an issue" are the ones that are chat regulars and therefore have to put up with TPW's constant spamming which occurs in there, as well as their general attitude (which got their original account banned let's not forget). Those that do not therefore don't see the issue and can't understand why some members are becoming frustrated with it all.

I don't want to sound rude but tbh if they had a politer and less spammy approach to this, if they did not keep creating new accounts here (they've recently made a third one) and weren't previously banned then it would be easier to have a positive attitude towards it all.

Maxy, I'm not starting an arguement here, I've moved on from all the constant skype bitching so you can move on from that :D I have no interest to explore this further using this platform, any issues please feel free to contact me either in PM, in person or other social networking outside of TPM where I will be happy to discuss.

I guess if over-exposure is the issue then so be it, still no reason to be so outwardly cold to someone you don't even know?!

If he's trolling then fair play at creating pointless 'drama', top troller. But if he's just a 12 year old with serious issues hiding behind a computer screen then the response he's getting is overwhelmingly negative

Honestly you read newspaper articles about cyber bullying leading to suicide, the fact is the reasons behind it are irrelevant and bullying can always be explained by other things. For his sake I hope he is just a troll.

Wow, what a pleasant way to treat another human being. Different people enjoy different things, there's nothing wrong with someone (whatever age they are) enjoying theme parks and wanting to have their own bit of authority and have a Facebook page. If you're really going to let something so mediocre ruin your day then you need to take a step back and look at yourself.

If you have a problem with another member on this forum then take it up with a member of the mod/admin team and we will be more than happy to help, rather than post bitchy posts on here about them.

I can't begin to imagine how 'ThemeParkWorld' is feeling now but I want you to know I'm truly sorry on behalf of this forum for the way you've been treated. If there's anything you want to talk about then feel free to PM one of the team.

One last thing, continuing from what Tommy mentioned in his post. It could only take one small thing like this to send someone over the edge, you have no idea how much what you say can affect the person it's about. Please just think before you post, thanks!

Just one thing. Thorpe Park Mania started out as two teenagers sharing their interest in Thorpe Park. If we had received this kind of bullying by people we'd have closed up shop immediately. Regardless of the methods being used by Theme Park World, no one has really reported any of his posts or made their feelings known to the admin team in private.

• 8 months later...