SW7: SPOILER TOPIC

MarkC

Drop the 'The', and we have Smiler.

Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Rita, Th13teen, Smiler? I'm unsure, whilst it has the subtle sinisterness about it, it just doesn't seem very striking or powerful. Will wait until there's an official announcement before I give any more judgement.

Though if I'm being perfectly honest, the first thing I thought about when I read that was Doctor Who...

Posted Image

This was spotted on site earlier. I wonder who the manufacturer will be?

As for the name, I think it's awful. I mean 'The Swarm' or 'Th13teen' are hardly amazing but The Smiler really is p*ss poor. What ever happened to the names like Oblivion and Nemesis? I somewhat doubt this will be the name though because it seems too focused around that smiley face logo. Unless the face is the single most important thing involved with the story of this ride, I think we will be referring to the face as 'The Smiler' and not the actual rollercoaster itself (thank God)...

"The Smiler" sounds tacky if I'm honest, that's the sort of thing I'd expect from an RCT3 pre-named ride. With SW7 I was expecting something more technical, to fit in with the X-Sector theme, even if they were to go with something that was the complete opposite approach of theme to that of Oblivion and the surrounding rides. Ah well, it's just a rumour with reasoning... I hope it isn't true, even though I'm more bothered about the actual ride itself rather than the theme or name. :ninja:

I thought The Smiler was the trade mark name for the image of the face with spirals not the ride but remember around this time of 2009 Th13teens name was known as Surrender but saying that it was as early as August when we got the name for The Swarm August 1st I believe but take it with a pinch of salt

I thought The Smiler was the trade mark name for the image of the face with spirals not the ride but remember around this time of 2009 Th13teens name was known as Surrender but saying that it was as early as August when we got the name for The Swarm August 1st I believe but take it with a pinch of salt

Excellent point, Jack.

The SW7 (I refuse to call it The Smiler) logo is still an IP of Merlin Entertainments. Look at Liam's photo again. One of the entries is "The Merlin Entertainm... [something]", which could just be a registered trademark of the company currently in use. It may even be the actual Merlin Entertainments logo. Point is, Intellectual Property doesn't just consistent of rides and attractions for companies like Merlin - logos, slogans, event names etc., even the actual owned property (I.e. Warwick Castle, which also appears in that list) all count as part of the Merlin Entertainments Group property. It's possible that, as Jack said, "The Smiler" is simply a name assigned to the logo so that it becomes a recognised intellectual property of Merlin Entertainments (which would make sense, as it appears to be focal to the ride promotion and possibly even the actual ride experience itself) and therefore cannot be reproduced for other purposes not involving Merlin or Alton Towers in some way.

Seems like people have a lot of free time on their hands to be able to pick up on something like that.. :P

I guess it could be for anything really. Would laugh if it ends up being a new name for X:\NWO if that gets a name change with the rumoured retheme. In honesty though, would prefer if this was not the name of SW7.

Seems like people have a lot of free time on their hands to be able to pick up on something like that.. :P

I guess it could be for anything really. Would laugh if it ends up being a new name for X:\NWO if that gets a name change with the rumoured retheme. In honesty though, would prefer if this was not the name of SW7.

If this is payback for the Wikipedia comment...

... well played, fine sir. ;)

Oh yeah, and in case I haven't made it clear, "The Smiler" isn't even laughable. It's like one step below being a registered sex offender. It's atrocious.

The more and more I hear the name, the less and less I believe SW7 will actually be called The Smiler. Don't forget that SW7 is a derelict building with a robot spider thing plonked in the middle as far as we are aware right now. I don't see how anything to do with SW7 (again as far as we are aware of right now) can be labelled with 'The' in front of it other than that creepy ass face. I personally see the hypnotic face being labelled 'The Smiler' and it will be labelled only for reference to it somehow or another regarding the SW7 story. I did just think though, the station building is gonna look mega sexy once it's all finished by next year!

SPOILER ALERT:

The revolving tunnel is gonna have to be quite long if it is two eurofighters stuck together

Hmm unless they have 2 tunnels maybe

I'm not sure if I have to suggest this is a spoiler since this is in the spoiler topic? :P

but yeah, I really like the tunnel idea, I hope before it turns the whole 360 it swings around a bit similar to the way of Hex, they could really fit an amazing story into this, can not wait :blush:

^ I really like the Hex concept, never thought of that before! Inverting hex would be crazy and weird.

I remember Mr Sanbrooke himself telling me a couple of years ago that Hex only tilts about 35 degrees. It still feels like you're tipping right over though. If Alton could pull off an inversion using the same method as Hex then it would be trippy as hell!

I'm sure it's 15 degrees in each direction. That's what it says on the ever reliable Wikipedia and I'm sure it is said as that by knowledgeable staff in one of the behind the scenes tours / talks of Hex knocking around somewhere on you tube.

I'm not sure why SW7 would include some sort of anti Hex where you turn upside down with an illusion that you don't. Movement which your brain can't account for with sight is what causes motion sickness. Would spend more time closed for cleaning than X!!

How does the venerable Lord Sanbrooke know all this? I've never seen such information about Hex (or other Madhouses) online ever...

I'm sure you can find the plans for the hex type of rides on the manufacturers website or something, I've seen it before

EDIT: well you used to be able to but Vekoma's changed their website and made it all confusing

• 1 month later...