Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to come out rudely. Of course the actors put effort into what they're doing, otherwise the scare maze wouldn't exist in the first place, it would just be a walkthrough with no scares.

It's just the mazes seem to decrease in quality as the event goes on, but it entirely depends on if you get a good or bad run and if the maze is busy or not. Sometimes, the quality of the acting and the overall experience is great and sometimes it is really poor. The actors are never consistent and that's why it feels like sometimes they are putting less effort in than other occasions.

As a bit of an actor myself I know how it's a hard job and you have to stay in role, it is great to get praise when you are putting your all into what you are performing or doing. I may have worded my phrase wrong as I know it's a hard job and they are doing a great job, just the consistency of what they do varies massively.

I hope that makes more sense.

I think it's tough because when you're an actor in one of these attractions it must be very tiring, very quickly. 

It only bothers me when actors and actresses go out of 'character', not that some have much character anyway, and ruin the immersion. In Studio 13 yesterday, one actress just seemed completely uninterested and simply stood in front of my group, and said "stop" with no expression on her face. Then she just stared at her feet for a second like she was bored to death, before finally just moving out of the way and stood plainly next to us.

I know she was probably very tired, but she could have added something extra like taunting us, circling us etc...

On the other hand, some of the actors (not in Studio 13) were fantastic, especially the Face it Alone team. So well done them, it's just not very consistent. Oh and don't get me wrong, I know not everyone can act like an Oscar-winner, but in my opinion a couple of them were awful, and people tend to remember bad experiences more than positive ones.

How does one audition for at FN actor job? I mean, do they have to go up to the judges and try to scare them? I'd love to have this job when I'm older.

I think, at least for other scare attractions, training and auditions are more about creating a character and sticking with it. Like what to say, body language, and other things to convey personality and characteristics.

As for jump scares, I can't imagine that take much training. I was chatting to one after my Face it Alone last night and he said they had to watch a video on how to do it professionally without being punched yourself or punching the guests! Not sure how much of that video story is true though! He could have been chatting from his arse tbh.

Would you guys recomend going to saw alive straight away, and then doing valentine or the other way round?

SERIOUS ANSWER ALERT

Personally, I'd start with either MBV (which seems to have a lower throughput than the others) or Studio 13 (since it's new).  Then did Studio or MBV next - depending on what one you did first - followed by Cabin and BWP, which will no doubt have opened by the time you've done 2-3 mazes.  Leave Saw Alive till last.  It's the most logical way to do it in my opinion. :)

Went to the park yesterday, and I was really suprised by which mazes I enjoyed the most/found the scariest.

As I only did Saw Alive last year, I was going into all these mazes never having done them before, so keep that in mind.

We had fastrack, so Saw Alive was up first. It was literally walk on with the fastrack at 5pm, but had a huge normal queue at 140 minutes, which I found weird. Anyway it was a LOT lighter than I remember, we could pretty much see everything and I must admit that the theming as a whole is brilliant. However, it was definitely the weakest maze. We must have encountered around 5 or 6 actors, all who really just bashed chains around, or grunted in our faces. There was also no pigs, and the freezer scene was really really predictable and had next to no impact. There was also no final payoff, and the maze ended pretty much randomly. 4/10, from me.

Next, we had Studio 13. Going in, the first actor/the receptionist were really good, and started the maze off well. Once we were in, the first couple of actors were brilliant, really getting into our faces. However after the first few jump scares from the production scene, we reached the "doll scene" I believe, or a bit before it, and we were expecting a huge scare when the Director said "Action!" but nothing happened, except the lights and the music came back on. However, the strobes were good, the theming and use of music was brilliant in my opinion, and the final few actors really got into their roles, scaring us all. The final corridor was also brilliant, and a lot darker than I expected. We didn't wait to see the chainsaw man (men???!?), we just heard loads of extremely fast and heavy footsteps coming towards us and the revving, so we legged it out the door, which was hilarious and great fun. Overall, not very scary at all and quite low on actors, and I also can't compare it to Asylum, but it had a great theme/theming and it was extremely entertaining, so 7.5/10 from me.

After, we headed to My Bloody Valentine, and I'd heard awful things from pretty much everyone, including my friends who had gone on it, however we were extremely suprised and it turned out to be our favourite (and the scariest!) maze of the night. The actors were absolutely everywhere, and they all got really really in our faces, and were all extremely aggressive/intimidating. The first actor in the hospital scene suprised us, by literally throwing the leader of our group (who spent the remainder of the maze running through, screaming whilst being relentlessy picked on!) into the hospital wall, and smashing some sort of weapon/item right near his head, before chasing us out of the room. Setting the scene for the rest of the maze, there seemed to be an actor around basically every corner, all extremely interactive and very, very angry. There didn't seem to be any "victim" miner actors, who I'd heard about, pretty much every actor (there seemed to be loads!) appeared to be out to get us. The final room, or 2 rooms, I can't remember, had about 3 Harry Warden characters, who were crazy, slamming every wall in sight, touching pretty much all of us, and causing us to run out of the maze, probably faster than we did on Studio 13! Extremely suprising, and easily my favourite maze, with possibly the best theming of the night (when you could see it!). The only downside was we didn't go through the crawl tunnels, but had the section with the low inflatable ceiling instead. However, due to the absolutely incredible actors, this gets a 9/10 from me. Loved it.

Then, we had Cabin. The beginning section was great, the actors all really picking on every member of the group. However, it was really short for us, as we found the control room really fast, due to catching up with the group in front of us. When we reached the control room (there was literally about 15 of us stuffed in there, with both doors shut) nothing happened. One button appeared to cause the actor in the mask room to repeatedly sway the mask in the air towards the camera whenever we pressed the button, but nothing else worked apart from that, which was dissapointing. Then the actor in the mask room banged on the door, trying to open it, so we moved on. We ended up at the front of the now 20+ strong people group, and ended up being seperated, as the people behind us were stopped before the little crawl section. So, we finished the maze off with about 4 people, and the ending section was brilliant. I'm not quite sure what actor was in the spinning tunnel room, I couldn't actually see, but he looked huge! Then, as we were going through, a clown literally jumped out and grabbed me through a hole in the wall, and during the whole night, this was the only moment where I was genuinely terrified, and I screamed out loud and literally ran away from her (embarassing, I know!) and then she continued to follow me, so I continued to scream, and then in the whole last section with the really crazy energetic (zombie maintinence workers??) actors, jumping all over the ramps, all the actors saw me screaming and decided to pick on me, every single one grabbed me! It was crazy, so despite a really short beggining section, this was definitely one of our favourite mazes, and the most hectic. (and for me, scary!) 8.5/10. (We only did the mazes once each, and to be fair, this probably takes at least 2 runs through to really appreciate it, but still, an extremely strong maze!)

Finally, we had Blair Witch. I'd heard good things but this was a bit of a let down. The entire maze was just people with baseball bats and hoods, either crawling up to us, hitting a tree, or grunting. The end section in the shed was much better than expected however, the fog was extremely strong and there was loads of people in there, so it was pretty jumpy in there, and filled with screams from every direction. The maze had a great atmosphere however, and tension-wise was the best. I'd say I give this a 6/10.

Overall, the park was busy as hell, we got on about 10 rides, and each main coaster once. The only downside of the day, was we queued up for Swarm at 11 in the morning, which apparently had a 65 minute queue (which wasn't too bad), and ended up getting off it at half 1! Absolutely awful start to the day, considering we got on Colossus and Saw within about 20 minutes of eachother in the morning. After that though, we got on Inferno and Stealth within around 90 minutes, which wasn't that bad, and we later did Stealth and Swarm (twice!) in the dark again later on, so overall the queues weren't terrible for us, except Swarm in the morning! We also got on a few other smaller rides in the day, so we didn't really mind. We were mainly there for the mazes, which all had less than 20 minute fastrack queues, which was great. The main queues for the mazes looked awful though, averaging at around 140 minutes. Thorpe really need to do something to help with the queue times for the mazes, it looked awful!

Anyway, overall we had a great day and with the exception of Saw and Blair Witch, all the mazes were brilliant! Saw and Blair Witch were still great fun however, so it was definitely worth going on every maze, they were just weaker. I can't imagine how people would have survived without fastrack for the mazes though, so operations-wise, that was awful. Still, I had a brilliant time and it was a good day at the park overall. I'm also going to Alton tomorrow, so I can see how Fright Nights stacks up against Scarefest!

Personally I was really really dissapointed with the event as a whole. The main thing is the actors. They never kept in role or ever laughed and communicated with you. Always to serious or looking extremely bored. Their makeup was awful and not scary at all. Inside the mazes they seemed fed up. I went to my local event Broadditch Farm last night and it was IMO the best event I have ever done. Best actors, makeup and scare mazes. They had fun with you danced around and had conversations. In the mazes they ass extremely good and always made you have a good time. Here's some example of what makeup should look like... from broadditch.

26b659fee4483e4cbf7f5733dbbbd88e.jpg4595f40758dc418f6313438b6d058bf2.jpg9502c9b98649bcf0f243f0932ceaade2.jpgbdbbd4c38d3f886ec9f5e9a882da7bc9.jpg

Do the mazes in the following order

Studio 13

My Bloody Valrntine

Cabin

Saw

Queue up for Blair Witch 30 minutes before it opens or leave it until after 8pm

Do rides (during the day) in the following order

Saw (always gets the most queues

Colossus

X

Stealth

Inferno

Swarm (I say Searm last because it started on one train when I headed to it at the start of the day first).

Well on Tuesday I got fastpass for Cabin in the Woods and MBV.

CITW was walk on with fastpass, MBV was 10 minutes with fastpass, so we were chuffed with that! Might be different on every night though...

I didn't notice any overselling of fastpass when I visited this week, they'd sold out on a lot of the packages and time slots! They also weren't letting in too many fastpass holders which was great!

I also thought general customer service was a lot better too, at least in my experience. I felt like all the staff made an effort and I think that really shows! :)