New For 2015?

OldFarmerDean

I've heard annual pass days have been really busy in the past, especially now so many people have thorpe passes? think I'll just give it a miss if it is on a weekend, I'll probably have work anyway!

No it was dead on last years annual pass day, the initial crowds let to like 30 main queues on like swarm and stealth but they went down really quickly and were all at like 5mins by 11am :P

I seen a picture from closed season of Flying fish mid way round (so probably testing) while showing the bit of snow they had... that's my prediction completely wrong to have a scorpion express style refurb to flying fish and/or move it to fungle safari site. I'm really worried we won't see anything new for 2015 - thorpe will probably advertise the loggers leap tunnel as new!!  :rolleyes:

You have to prebook for the annual pass days so the numbers are limited to a moderate amount (or at least that's how they've done it the past few seasons).

And what's to say we won't get something new in some form for 2015? Let's say they wanted to open something for the summer. They still can, planning doesn't take forever especially when it can be reserved matters. The council might already have had some plans submitted but they just haven't been put up yet (look back at previous applications, the received date of the plans and registered date can be up to 3 weeks apart). Towers have built a whole new coaster (okay it's in the development area so they don't need planning for it) and not mentioned it yet so what's to say Thorpe doesn't have something up their sleeves?

I'm really worried we won't see anything new for 2015

It will be a year of focusing on events to boost gate figures. Which can be good as it will benefit their image as a resort however I'm not sure its a long term solution. Yes it does need to be done but there should not be anything stopping them from doing events and a new ride. 

But thinking like that is how you end up with Storm Surge.

It's a strange obsession that a park desperately needs something, ANYTHING new year upon year in order to get guests to visit...

Plenty of parks across the world don't add something every year and are able to survive... Presumably because they have a returning market of people often larger than a market of new visitors...

New rides are nice, but if the park spent money on improving the appearance, customer service and operations then I would be more enticed to return than a cheap investment.  I've got nothing against second hand rides if they are good, but Storm Surge is a clear example of money that should have been spent on other things.  (I know it was already owned by Merlin but there must have been shipping costs etc.)

Maybe, what TP need to do, and what they should of done all along, is not add something new every single year, trying to scrape the last bit of nutella out of the jar, but take  the approach of every other theme park in the world. 

Instead of adding something every year, every other year, or every three years make something spectacular, spend lots of dollar on one thing rather than Angry Birds Land, Saw Alive and Storm Surge.

If they took the investment money from SAW Alive and Storm Surge, The Swarm could have been a lot better. If they didn't open angry birds land, thats a couple extra million that could have gone on 2016's attraction. 

But in their eyes it's those little investments is what the general public would come back for... To be fair quite a lot of people I know that go once every year or two, will say I won't bother going this year as there is nothing new. So it works in the short term for Thorpe, but they don't get to see the bigger picture which could be so much better like you're explaining!

The way the British culture seems to work is that people need a reason to return. For a lot of people the rides alone don't entice them back as they want something new. Money wise the way the park has been running makes sense. The periods of investment work as they attract new guest's and encourage them to spend in the park.The swarm has other reasons in why I didn't work which I won't waste my time explaining.

However having said that I don't think it is the best path that could be taken.The reason it works is because of the whole UK industry being set up as it is. If more people had been to Cedar point or Europa park then that strategy of investment probably wouldn't be as effective. As people would demand more high quality attractions.

People will only say "I won't bother going this year because they have nothing new" because they have been spoon fed new attractions for the past 14 years. 

As I am sure everybody is aware the difference between Merlin and every other Theme Park operator in the world, is quality. Merlin have this big idea to expand as quickly as they can without looking back. Whereas If you look at places like Walt Disney World, who (as individual parks) see investment on a large scale once every so many years, still pull in millions more guests, something Merlin could only dream of.

Disney make a crap ride the most amazing experience in the world,

Merlin make the best rides in the world utter BS. 

Admittedly I like new investments regardless of how small as it gives me something to look forwards to...

If Thorpe didn't invest in a new attraction of some sort I doubt they would get that budget in the same figures to spend cleaning up the park like Chessington have... that's why it's annoying when they don't get something new as not much else has gone on in the park otherwise.