General Election 2015

JoshC.

And I find it incredible that such an educated fellow could even consider that the case! It just goes to show how far we have slipped from reality if we are thinking these frivolous things are actually essential to anyone and should be provided by the state on an individual basis. We used to provide libraries, not give people books!

Except the UN now classifies the internet as a basic human right.

I hope all that can vote, do vote.

As a first time voter, I started this election knowing nothing, I did my research (though it should be taught in schools) and found the importance and passion in voting! I hope people over the age of 18, are picking up their pencils today

I'll be going down to my local polling station at 6pm, lets hope the decisions we make, are a good one for Britain.

And I find it incredible that such an educated fellow could even consider that the case! It just goes to show how far we have slipped from reality if we are thinking these frivolous things are actually essential to anyone and should be provided by the state on an individual basis. We used to provide libraries, not give people books!

It might sound harsh but if you really have nothing and no work you should be housed and fed, so rent paid and food vouchers with minimal disposable cash on top. Suddenly work would look a whole lot more attractive to people who currently chose not to, as would making people work for their benefits.

I see what you're saying, and this is sort of where my fear of misinterpretation was coming in earlier!

I struggling to put exactly how I feel about this all into words, so sorry if the following sounds like a rambling load of nonsense...

The welfare system should of course not be there for people who simply 'don't want to work', and it should be made to be a very unattractive option for people who consider it.  But then there's the people who actually really need it, who have fallen on hard times, etc.  The main focus should be being housed and fed; most definitely.  But if they can't afford some of the 'luxuries' like internet or a (simple) mobile phone, then it could leave them out-of-touch with society.  It starts to make things an uphill struggle in my opinion, which just doesn't help matters.  As you said earlier, living on benefits shouldn't be easy, but it shouldn't be unnecessarily difficult.  It's of course very difficult to get the balance right, and it seems the balance sways towards being friendlier rather than stricter.  

Ian mentions the free access of public libraries.  Personally, I've local libraries to be appalling, from their opening hours to their resources.  They feel out-of-touch and neglected in today's society.  Maybe if these were improved (and quite significantly), I'd feel more okay with saying that having your own basic phone and internet connection wasn't a necessity.  

I guess also my opinion comes from someone who's grown up with technology becoming ever-advancing.  If I was looking for a job, my first thought would be 'Let's look online to see who's hiring, where to go, hints and tips, etc'.  Any application would include a mobile number so wherever I am, I'd get the call.  If I didn't have the internet or a mobile phone, it would be more difficult to get the ball rolling and keep it rolling in my opinion.

As I say, I'm really struggling to get my thoughts down on this (I've spent the past 40 odd minutes typing and deleting, typing and deleting to get to this!), so sorry if it doesn't really flow or anything..  I guess calling them a necessity is wrong, but I just feel that in today's society, they're basic tools which can really help anyone, and help is what people should have the most access to.  I think it's a case of there's quite a fine line about this all, and I we're simply just on different sides about it?

He's definitely a tit, if nothing else.

Dirty deed done for another 5 years, unless of course we go back to the polls in September :)

The voucher system is a great idea, but it wouldn't work because present direction is to give benefit claimants a pile of money and tell them to get on with it, whereas previously certain benefits would go directly to the supplier and the bit to live on to the claimant, it all now goes to the claimant, this will only end one way, badly, but we won't see the effect until universal credit is rolled out nationally.

Vouchers is by far the way forward.

As for going back to the polls in September it is highly unlikely to happen. The coalition set out that the next election will be in may 2020. There is only 2 eventualities where an election can take place before then. (Cant remember them exactly so I suggest looking it up if you are interested)

You're talking about a vote of no confidence or vote of dissolution, either can, in theory, happen at any time.

The fixed term Parliament act kind of causes a bit of a problem if there is no clear majority or no coalition can be formed, Dave can continue a minority government as long as it passes a confidence vote in the house, but they'll never get any new legislation through and can be subject to a vonc at anytime.

(Confidence Vote and Vote of No Confidence are two different things).

...but they'll never get any new legislation through and can be subject to a vonc at anytime.

Or, they'll only get anything through if it is so good they all agreed on on it. Could work! I wonder if they could all be adult enough to make it work though?

Food bank use went up as they didn't exist before/weren't advertised. People on benefits will have to work for their money instead of just being handed it.

I have a friend, she's 18, and both her parents are disabled and currently unable to work. They deserve benefits, and for you to say people like that don't is disgusting. I know you're an idiot and you're only making these comments here for a reaction/attention, but for a real look at life on both sides you have to experience it.

And I think that sums up the problem; the benefits system needed (and still needs) cutting and fixing, but they have gone about it with a streak of evil instead of sense. 

If the exit polls are correct it'll be a shame. Rather than the conservatives winning I think it is more the case that Labour have lost it. They simply did not present themselves as a viable alternative. 

I have a friend, she's 18, and both her parents are disabled and currently unable to work. They deserve benefits, and for you to say people like that don't is disgusting. I know you're an idiot and you're only making these comments here for a reaction/attention, but for a real look at life on both sides you have to experience it.

Disable benefits is perfectly fine unemployment benefit I completely disagree with. I'm not saying this for attention either, thank you very much. It is my honest opinion. Being called an idiot is rich as well, you have no idea of my background or education and just because I have an opposing view doesn't give you a right to go around insulting people.

Just to play devils advocate, why is it OK to cut unemployment benefit and not disability benefits? (Not that I think that either should be cut).

The cost of disability benefits is around 4x that of unemployment benefits if you exclude benefits that both parties would be entitled to (such as housing benefit, council tax etc.). Surely if it's a money issue, then all benefits should be cut equally, no?