Fright Nights 2019 - General Discussion

TPC

20 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Ah, 2011.  Easily my favourite year of Fright Nights, the excitement surrounding Experiment 10 at the time was huge!

I think for this year, at this point I'm just hoping that Creek Freak Massacre is a good, solid maze because the rest of the lineup looks poor.  There used to be such a huge buzz about Thorpe during Fright Nights; the mazes around the park, the audio, sights, smells, it was such an incredible event and it just feels marketing-led and poorly executed nowadays.

At least Inferno in the dark is always good.

I am not in plans for inferno in the dark this year I am in plans for Colossus this year I am sure that's very good going over the cobra role in the dark. The swarm in the dark last year so good front row right-hand side I did I like how that side goes up first plus I pretty good view of the park plus I did front row this year I will do front row Colossus right hand seat I bet that's got a good view of the park at night as well.  Inferno will be on my next visit in the dark I bet that's good going through the tunnel at night. 

11 hours ago, Glitch said:

Blair Witch will be 6 years old this year. 😫

Yes true at least that is the last survivor of the lion's gate mazes I bet this one is going to be good with the new layout be surprised if they make us go around in circles. I did not find Blair witch that scary at least there is good interaction with the actors.

I'm not sure why blair witch still remains, surely there is something more exciting they can do with the space. I did it last year and well it was better than dead creek woods but pretty poor, and not many actors.

When you look at Tulleys for example, they only really have one dud maze (VIXI) but they have 8 others and circus of horrors too, and seem to be going from strength to strength, while Thorpe's FNs feel a bit stagnant. The roaming actors at tulleys are a laugh and they definitely create an atmosphere. When a maze seems to be getting mixed reviews (again other than VIXI) they seem to reinvent it, like the colony and the cellar. It seems that thorpe just doesn't care as I'm sure they think people (like me lol) will turn up regardless of how much they change so why bother.

They've taken a leaf out of tulleys book with doing a copy sister to the chop shop, but I feel they shouldn't have stopped there.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, jessica2 said:

I'm not sure why blair witch still remains, surely there is something more exciting they can do with the space. I did it last year and well it was better than dead creek woods but pretty poor, and not many actors.

When you look at Tulleys for example, they only really have one dud maze (VIXI) but they have 8 others and circus of horrors too, and seem to be going from strength to strength, while Thorpe's FNs feel a bit stagnant. The roaming actors at tulleys are a laugh and they definitely create an atmosphere. When a maze seems to be getting mixed reviews (again other than VIXI) they seem to reinvent it, like the colony and the cellar. It seems that thorpe just doesn't care as I'm sure they think people (like me lol) will turn up regardless of how much they change so why bother.

They've taken a leaf out of tulleys book with doing a copy sister to the chop shop, but I feel they shouldn't have stopped there.

I have been thinking a few days if big top comes back sometime in the future and they go with a 3D version of it like twisted clowns would it work I am doing tulleys for a change after attending fright nights next year I know they charge for rides but I understand the event is more about the mazes than rides I know they charge u for. The booster and the frog hopper ride lastly I will say lets see how creek freaks goes I am calling it that for short if u all understand what I am talking about I understand in the middle of the platform 15 maze the house is there's that belong to the family who runs the creek woods sawmill as we saw it in the trailer.

2 hours ago, Platform15fan said:

I have been thinking a few days if big top comes back sometime in the future and they go with a 3D version of it like twisted clowns would it work I am doing tulleys for a change after attending fright nights next year I know they charge for rides but I understand the event is more about the mazes than rides I know they charge u for. The booster and the frog hopper ride lastly I will say lets see how creek freaks goes I am calling it that for short if u all understand what I am talking about I understand in the middle of the platform 15 maze the house is there's that belong to the family who runs the creek woods sawmill as we saw it in the trailer.

I think it would be quite difficult for the park to replicate Twisted due to the very intricate paint job it has alongside the funhouse elements which compliment the 3D.

The park did have Freakshow 3D though so it could happen but I think it would have to be in a permanent building so they wouldn't have paint the walls every year.

With Tulleys I think the rides really are secondary, especially nowadays when there is 9 haunts+ Circus of Horrors! It also doesn't help that most Tulleys mazes are 10 minutes or longer. 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, jessica2 said:

I'm not sure why blair witch still remains, surely there is something more exciting they can do with the space.

It's cheap and easy.

Thorpe rely on their night time riding to pull in visitors for Fright Nights, which is a shame as it shouldn't be.  Cutting back on some rides like flying fish, tidal wave, storm surge, zodiac, depth charge, banana ride, tea cups. (how many of those are open I'm not too sure..) But closing them at 5 and using that operational budget to fund two actual decent scare zones, followed by 7-8 mazes would be the right direction in my eyes.

I love that a brand new maze, not even finished yet, is being advertised as their most intense maze ever. Once again, Thorpe will sell an attraction as something its not (just like Derren Brown). Why did Big top do so well? Because there was no expectations, no one knew what was to come. 

As good as Big Top was in 2016/17, let's not forget its debut year in 2015.

It was advertised to the hilt and looked incredible from the outside but was one of the most underwhelming/cheap feeling mazes of all time IMO.  Suppose it was more-or-less an entirely new maze in 2016, though.

The marketing for this new maze seems weird, they're pushing the whole "most intense maze ever" thing and it looks like it's their main focus for this year's event but there is no mention of it on the website homepage and the Fright Nights page doesn't promote it as the focus.

Also they sent an email with a "behind the scenes" preview but the link just went to the generic Fright Nights page.  One of the pictures on the email was old Loggers Leap queueline theming (not that it really matters, if it's there they may as well use it).

I am intrigued by this new maze as the idea could be good and I like that it's an original concept.  I just hope Thorpe can deliver what they've promised.

I am going off subject is there anything different in Derren Brown I went on it in its original incarnation in 2016 when it was just called Darren Brown I have not experienced it's rise of the demon storyline yet is there anything different 2017 present. I was going for it after lunch last year at 1:00 pm but I was having no chance of getting on it last year during 2018 fright nights after my lunch I checked the app of the queue waiting time and it said 15 minutes I got to gate and the operator said if your at the back of its 60 minutes. I am in plans go on flats then go straight for it once it opens what time does it open exactly because the app says it opens at 10:00 am but I know that it's wrong and I have forgotten the time it did say it on the app weeks ago will this work what I am planning don't do the coasters just yet and do the flats in lost city then do Darren brown.

21 minutes ago, Platform15fan said:

I am going off subject is there anything different in Derren Brown I went on it in its original incarnation in 2016 when it was just called Darren Brown I have not experienced it's rise of the demon storyline yet is there anything different 2017 present. I was going for it after lunch last year at 1:00 pm but I was having no chance of getting on it last year during 2018 fright nights after my lunch I checked the app of the queue waiting time and it said 15 minutes I got to gate and the operator said if your at the back of its 60 minutes. I am in plans go on flats then go straight for it once it opens what time does it open exactly because the app says it opens at 10:00 am but I know that it's wrong and I have forgotten the time it did say it on the app weeks ago will this work what I am planning don't do the coasters just yet and do the flats in lost city then do Darren brown.

Yea it’s called Derren Brown now. 

6 hours ago, ProudToServe said:

It's cheap and easy.

Thorpe rely on their night time riding to pull in visitors for Fright Nights, which is a shame as it shouldn't be.  Cutting back on some rides like flying fish, tidal wave, storm surge, zodiac, depth charge, banana ride, tea cups. (how many of those are open I'm not too sure..) But closing them at 5 and using that operational budget to fund two actual decent scare zones, followed by 7-8 mazes would be the right direction in my eyes.

It bamboozles me that Thorpe insist on keeping the likes of Lumber Jump, Timber Tug and even Rocky Express open (for a whole 4 hours) during Fright Nights. And then Banana is open till 6. It feels like more hassle then it's worth, and sends out mixed signals..if Fright Nights is a scary teen/adult event, why bother opening the rides for the youngest of visitors?

Don't bother with the Old Town rides, close a couple more small rides early and even just putting the money into be able to run their current line up effectively would be great. Give it a couple of years and let it grow and the focus would be back on the mazes.

1 hour ago, Coaster said:

I'm not so sure, not everyone who visits is there for Fright Nights and the standard ride offering shouldn't really be affected IMO.

Is this not the issue of the park's identity though? They're predominantly a park with a thrill focus, and by retheming X to Walking Dead, they've made their position clear that they favour thrillseekers and scary stuff over family attractions.

In that case, why are they faffing about with the rides aimed at the youngest of visitors during their event which is targeted solely at thrillseekers. Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

Is this not the issue of the park's identity though? They're predominantly a park with a thrill focus, and by retheming X to Walking Dead, they've made their position clear that they favour thrillseekers and scary stuff over family attractions.

In that case, why are they faffing about with the rides aimed at the youngest of visitors during their event which is targeted solely at thrillseekers. Makes no sense.

I think parks should generally offer a well-rounded lineup but Thorpe is another story altogether really, I agree they have become very mismatched with removing family atttactions but opening different (poorer ones).

My point is that I don't think parks should totally alienate the family market by closing all the rides when they have a Halloween event on.  Maybe in the evening it makes sense, but during the day it just seems an excuse to cut costs.  That said, Thorpe have basically alienated most target audiences already one way or another.

Plus that last container is too smoggy in there that bit towards the right where the actor hides before u even exit the attraction I could not see a thing and I nearly touched the actor I would of had a lot explaining to do with the staff if that happened plus other attractions. I kept my hands on my own shoulders so I don't touch a single actor because of my mood swings when I get scared that's why I did it it's not long now only 17 days left. Also is any of u excited for creek freak massacre because I am very excited for that going to be having that hill billy family chasing us with chainsaws I guess.