The News

Phyciodes

I think the Shard looks amazing but its going to be £25 per person to visit the viewing platforms!! That's £6/7 more than the Eye and if I'm honest, if it wasn't for my AP I wouldn't go on the Eye either so the Shard is just too much for me. Disappointing but expected.

Well as the Olympics grow nearer and nearer the Olympic Torch Relay gets ever more heated by the day. Today marks the 53rd day of the relay from which the torch was transported from Oxford to Reading. The torch arrived in my town of Egham around 15:39 where the torch was carried through by 3 people, I thought I would take some pictures.

Some pre-relay entertainment in the rain.

Posted Image

The Torch arrives near the high street of the town, Egham where it is switched over to a new runner.

Posted Image

The newly acquainted torch bearer now begins her run to the next runner,

Posted Image]

It was a very tipsy, enjoyable afternoon even though the typical British weather let us down and everyone got very wet!

Here is a video to view the full switch over of the flames.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Casually been stranded on Long Island. My flight was due to leave JFK on monday evening but of course was cancelled.

Some local powerlines will take up to a week to prepare; a local friend of my mothers has lost power in her home. The phone lines, internet, TVs, power has been down in patches and is slowly getting back up and running. It was truly frightening even being on the outer limits of the storm on monday night as trees fell down and transformers 'exploded' in red flashes in the distance.

Thankful that it's all over although I'm now stuck for a week and will miss my first week of work at a new job! Doh.

So Obama has been re-elected :D

In the past I've never given any interest into the US election, but as I was up late and couldn't sleep, I ended up keeping an eye on it via Twitter, very handy :P It was exciting watching the results come in!

I'm glad they have a leader to be proud of, unlike us poor unfortunate souls in the UK. My aunt posted a great Facebook status:

"God I wish we lived in the states where we had a leader to be proud of and was actually popular. Instead of a couple of total mindless knob ends."

:lol:

(Apologies to anyone here who likes Cameron...

...if there actually is anyone)

Posted Image

Scary thing is, Cameron is probably best of the bunch we've got to chose from. And he clearly is a slimy, smug, self satisfying tool who I'd barley trust to run a newsagents, let alone a country. Our country sucks at the moment.

I love Obama, he really is the sort of guy you could just hang out with in a pub with a nice cool beer. I'd be scared that I'd have to order peacock if I spent any time with Cameron.

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717

WTF is wrong with these people?

I also don't understand how the US pro gun lobby maintains such strong support, of course people will kill people whether or not they have guns, but they'd have trouble taking out so many so quickly and easily without them.

Deadly US mass shootings

• 1984: James Oliver Huberty shoots dead 21 people at a McDonald's in California
  • 1986: Postal worker Pat Sherrill kills 14 people at post office in Oklahoma
  • 1991: George Hennard kills 23 people at a cafeteria in Texas
  • 1999: Two students at Columbine high school kill 13 and injure 20, before killing themselves
  • 2007: A student kills 32 and injures dozens more at Virginia Tech university
  • 2009: 13 people are killed in a mass shooting at Ford Hood military base in Texas

And pluk hasn't even touched the surface of how many mass shootings America has, even forgetting the last recent event in Aurora Cinema during Dark Knight Rises...

Americans really are a bunch of pretentious idiots when it comes to gun control, constantly promoting self-protection and "people will find other methods" is absolutely straight out of their arses... This right to bear arms is so outdated and medieval in the modern world, and it's because of this guns are so easily obtainable to every single person in the country...

I saw someone suggest on Facebook that the teachers (of a PRIMARY SCHOOL?) should have be trained and armed... Because more guns in a gunfight makes exactly a lot of sense...

They need to stop having such a pro look on guns, yeah we have guns too, but how difficult is it for someone to procure one legally? Incredibly so, as any arguement the Americans could even throw towards us we can point to the fact that we don't have farmers going off on a rampage... Indeed, we had some incidents similar to these, and because of these, we tightened the laws even further... But America won't do that because of the lobbyists and their outdated constitution...

When you see them arguing that if people don't use guns, they'll use knives, it's so stupid... Yes people will find other ways to kill or hurt others, but it's a lot harder to kill 20 kids with a knife than it is with an automatic rifle... Let alone someone saying they need guns so people can hunt and stop deers and other animals over-populating the country and eating all their crops (wonder what the Native Indians think of that)...

The quicker North Korea nuke those idiots the better... Some can come over here of course... That's fine, cos not all of them are awful, but most are... And there will no doubt be more and more of these incidents in the future unless they bother to change their mindsets about how guns actually cause more problems than they solve...

• 2 weeks later...

'Murican lojik.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be first in line to take a pop at Piers Morgan but the man does speak sense sometimes. Abusive comments later in the interview aside, I can't understand why Pratt or any of the 31,000-odd petitioners aiming to deport Morgan from the US think they have a leg to stand on. For this interview, Piers is now being threatened with deportation back the UK for reasons that his opinion here "offends the 2nd Amendment Right".

Ironically, his opinion would naturally be protected under the 1st Amendment Right. Only in America would they aim to uphold the 2nd Amendment Right by ignoring the 1st...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...