New Logo Discussion

coasterfreak23

Disappointing! I don’t really get the vibe they’re trying to give with it. It looks like a 1950s van logo.

But as always, it’ll grow on everyone. The current Comic Sans-esque logo is shockingly bad but feels iconic as we’ve all been looking at it for so long.

So, it’s definitely an improvement at least…

It’s too simple, soulless and kinda cheap looking. The old logo was way better and already the new logo looks out of place on their website. 

I get it’s versitile because of the different colours but that’s simply that…. I don’t get it really. 

also removing resort, seems a backwards step and moving away from Merlin’s claw. Are they putting themselves up to be sold? Moving away from a tussauds brand and Merlin way of thinking….

I bet the company who they hired are laughing so much right now, I can see the conversation going on in their HQ.

’Yep, they paid us £100,000 to make their new logo and guess what, I went onto google, searched up fancy font and wrote out Thorpe Park. You’ll never guess what happened too, they were happy with it!’

In all seriousness what the hell is that though. I could have done the same in photoshop in 10 mins. I like the idea of the change in vibe of the park, and was happy with the direction thorpe park were taking, but this. Nope.

I'm not big on brands in general over-simplifying their logos. It's obviously a modern trend, but I've just never liked it for any brand.

At the same time, I don't hate this. It works and has a level of versatility. This is from an email sent out to passholders:

image.png

Changes to the colours works nicely.

It does feel a bit 'change for the sake of change', but it does the job. I can understand them wanting a fresh start if they're changing their brand voice a lot more.

Will miss the infinity logo and still feel like that had buckets of potential. 

About the resort tagline removal…… The thing is, it just isn’t a resort.

They're now all about being open and up front, so calling themselves a resort really doesn’t fit the new brand does it. It never has been a resort, so the whole thing was ridiculous anyway.  Removing “resort” is just common sense in my opinion.

I don’t think that’s flying in the face of Merlin at all either. Don’t forget; it’s a new Merlin now .  There’s nothing wrong with a company acknowledging that things aren’t right and deciding to make a change.

Also to those saying that this is a poor effort at a logo - firstly a brand is about so much more than a logo.  It’s about how the entire company operates and how it makes the customer feel. The logo is only a small part of a brand.

secondly - look up ANY logo and you could make the same argument about “simple fonts” or “anyone could do that”.. but that’s beside the point.

One thing I will say though is this; although I feel overwhelmingly positive about all this, if next October I’m stood at fright nights surrounded by hoards of misbehaving morons, with Fastrack oversold by several thousand, and miserable faces everywhere….. this will have all been for nothing.  Time will tell!

58 minutes ago, tactic said:

I bet the company who they hired are laughing so much right now, I can see the conversation going on in their HQ.

’Yep, they paid us £100,000 to make their new logo and guess what, I went onto google, searched up fancy font and wrote out Thorpe Park. You’ll never guess what happened too, they were happy with it!’

In all seriousness what the hell is that though. I could have done the same in photoshop in 10 mins. I like the idea of the change in vibe of the park, and was happy with the direction thorpe park were taking, but this. Nope.

Company they hired? Let’s be real, this is just another Jack Silkstone mates rate. Pay budget rates get budget results.

I’m not sure how, but it’s SORT OF growing on me already?! Think I’m just happy to see the back of the old one! Always hated it since they changed it to ALL CAPS in 2008.

The angled O is obviously a nod (eAsTeR eGg) to the old swoosh, and the bubble-type writing is a nod to the original 80s logo

It absolutely does not work scaled down on social media profile pictures, you can’t read it at all. But I do kind of appreciate the retro vibes of it, even it it looks like an 80s sports brand.

I think main issue is it doesn’t really…. look like a logo?! It’s just a word mark. It only pops once it has the new graphical elements behind it.

I’d love to know the process behind the designing of it. 

I think…. Overall… it’ll grow on everyone. As said before, despite being “iconic”, it’s better than the old one!

Unapologetically Authentic 

We’ll say it how it is, no sugar coating, no corporate jargon – just the naked truth. Information is upfront and freely available, so the only surprises on the day are good ones! Honesty works both ways, we want our guests to give genuine feedback, and we’ll act on it. We’re on a forever journey to make Thorpe Park the very best it can be for everyone.

I can't wait to find out the real reason why rides have broken down then.

12 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I'm not big on brands in general over-simplifying their logos. It's obviously a modern trend, but I've just never liked it for any brand.

At the same time, I don't hate this. It works and has a level of versatility. This is from an email sent out to passholders:

image.png

Changes to the colours works nicely.

It does feel a bit 'change for the sake of change', but it does the job. I can understand them wanting a fresh start if they're changing their brand voice a lot more.

Will miss the infinity logo and still feel like that had buckets of potential. 

I kinda like it, and credit where credit is due, the videos have been great (though they don't talk about Dezza Brown.... still too raw).

The Rush poster needs a disclaimer, as touching the sky depends what swing you are on.

I like the direction the park is taking, and the amount of work they appear to be doing this closed season is good to see.

12 hours ago, Inferno said:

Also to those saying that this is a poor effort at a logo - firstly a brand is about so much more than a logo.  It’s about how the entire company operates and how it makes the customer feel. The logo is only a small part of a brand.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

I can't wait to find out the real reason why rides have broken down then.

Judging by the social media responses sounds like the new brand is that of someone claiming they're "blunt and being honest" when in reality they're just rude.

"Twitter Bantz".

30 minutes ago, Benin said:

Judging by the social media responses sounds like the new brand is that of someone claiming they're "blunt and being honest" when in reality they're just rude.

The park do need to be careful here. It's something they've been doing for a while, albeit not as much, nor in as much a spotlight, as they were last night.

Being cheeky, sarcastic and fun on social media can work and be good. Ryanair does it very well, for example. But you have to be careful it doesn't go too far, as it can leave a sour taste in the mouth otherwise. 

Right now it's difficult, as it can come across as defensive and rude. But at the same time, it's just a logo  it doesn't affect the operation of the park in any way. How they respond to people when people have genuine complaints that affect their day is much more important.

I’ve thought the same about the responses to be honest.

Ryanair can get away with it because their entire brand is build around “we’re cheap, that’s it, and if you don’t like it then you can f*** off”… their brand isn’t even about travel or flying, it’s ALL about low price, no frills, and their notorious reputation.

I think Thorpe’s CS going down this route is bad and doesn’t fit the new “brighter future” brand at all.