Slammer

Artie

Slammer puts too much stress on it's parts. S&S discontinued it so Thorpe have to get parts specially made meaning it takes longer. The screamin' swing is a much more reliable design of S&S's (in comparison to Slammer that is).

I believe it's Merlin that keep giving Thorpe a specific fund for Slammer. I know they've been working on some new features that should allow them to lower it manually (I think this is the reason it closed last season as it kept getting stuck up in the air). Hopefully it won't be too long before it opens and is finally a bit more reliable.

Rush was far less reliable than slammer when it first opened. The ride would break down every day I visited, or would only operate on one swing, or would be covered in scaffolding. I felt so lucky to even get on it at all in 2006.

Meanwhile Slammer was mostly fine. Now it's the other way around. Rush has been fine since most of its parts were redesigned (after the accident).

Rush was far less reliable than slammer when it first opened. The ride would break down every day I visited, or would only operate on one swing, or would be covered in scaffolding. I felt so lucky to even get on it at all in 2006.

Meanwhile Slammer was mostly fine. Now it's the other way around. Rush has been fine since most of its parts were redesigned (after the accident).

Did you miss the part where Slammer seemed to be closing down a lot of the time when it first opened? I didn't get on Slammer until late-May in 2005 (well, around then) and I was going quite regularly from opening! On the other hand, I got on Rush very quickly after it opened.

Rush was temperamental, yes, and had it's fair share of troubles, but Slammer's reliability hasn't been great from the start.

Clearly I did "miss the part" because I didn't visit Thorpe Park every week to see when a flat was or wasn't operating.

My point is, Rush is only as reliable now because it had quite extensive alterations, mostly to prevent any accidents like the last one ever happening again.

I wasn't visiting the park every week. :P However, I visited it regularly enough during the time, and was quite unlucky to not get to ride it until May-time (I do have vague memories of hearing how it was open at times, but never when I was around. Seemingly a long time ago now, so can't fully remember though!).

Whilst Rush wasn't exactly free of troubles of course, but more often than not, it was open when I visited from what I remember. Just seems we had different experiences with our trips! :)

I just want to take a moment to say that theoretically Slammer's bars are more securing than a normal OTSR.

For example if I go on Vortex, Samurai, or any ride with OTSR the tops of the bars don't come anywhere near me, nor does the main section, I always seem to get pinned into rides predominantly by my thighs. Whereas Slammer's bars are very adjustable, so the two shoulder holders (for a better term) come and "rest lightly on your shoulders" - or can be rammed to hell and high heaven against your shoulders; just like the lap bar can be. There is absolutely no movement in those bars if you don't want them to be - you move far more in Samurai or Vortex. People need to not shrug Slammer off as a ride for it's bars, it is as good as if not better than a standard OTSR.

Also, Slammer is a very big step from the standard S&S rides. They love building with air, and all Slammer uses air for is to raise and lower; the rest is using motors like Samurai. So from a manufacturer who's used to building tower rides using air, and even Rush which has a higher air-relevance than Slammer, it was a bit of a new leap for them.

Finally, I also didn't know it had different cycles? All I know is you press three buttons consistently, the ride goes up, does three rotations each way, and comes down...

On the topic of Slammer's restraints, I really am surprised they haven't edited the boarding announcement telling guests to pull the shoulder pads down gently until they rest on your shoulders. Whether guests listen or not is their own problem but any pain riders experience in the ride always seems to stem back to over excited shoulder restraint yanking.

The restraints are pretty much the main reason I haven't ridden slammer yet (I may be forced to soon if it is open eeeek) so it is kinda reassuring to read what Flipper and Original Glazed have typed. I had the same opinion about Rush and said I would go on if they had OTSR but conquered that fear towards the end of season last year - but then, with Rush having just a lap bar you do feel quite exposed (if that is the right word) - I think if it had OTSR it would just be a bit naff because there is always that wonder (or maybe it is just me) of, when you the high swing "hmmm, I wonder where I would land if the lap bar suddenly unlocked". Given the choice, I would rather fall out of Rush than Slammer.....jeez how morbid. Ok gonna shurrup :crazy:

In all honesty, I'm not surprised as they aren't doing the job of keeping the rider safe. It's the lap bar which does the bulk of the work, I feel like the shoulders are their purely to maintain a safer rider posture (if you haven't crippled yourself with them) by remaining with your back against the seat. Also, from a GP perspective, if your going on a ride which goes upside down at a lesser speed (which at the end of both spin directions it does), it is reassuring to see something for the shoulders and not just the lap, means less people freak out. I mean I still hear people freak out when they see the angle Rush can get to and not have anything for your shoulders.

That might not help those whom are nervous, but yes, the shoulder holders are there for peace of mind. I disagree that they do absolutely nothing but OG is right in saying the system registers the lap bars and not the shoulder holders.

That aside though, for anyone who's never been on it; I'd honestly recommend giving it a go. Yes it can be a tad uncomfortable, but it's exhilarating especially on your first go. I'm a bit like the flip of Han, I am absolutely terrified of Rush and I'm not afraid to say it. Yes I've been on it twice, both one day after the other back in 2012; and I hated it and haven't set foot on the ride since because I don't feel comfortable with the lap bar, nor do I feel there's enough for me to hold on to (I hate swings anyway, if you've been on Vortex with me, you'll know how bad I am). But Slammer is nice. You feel nicely secure; and like I said, I feel more secure in Slammer than any other ride. And it has lovely handles to hold on to ^_^

Arrgghhh it is the shoulder bits that bother me!!! At least with Rush it doesn't go upside down, although if you fell out you it wouldn't end great. Think I will have to trust what Flipper is saying, considering it is he who got me on Samurai (which I now love) and The Swarm backwards. And yes Flipper - you on Vortex sat opposite me lol - I was really hoping that you weren't going to puke as it would have possibly splatted on my face :lol:

That might not help those whom are nervous, but yes, the shoulder holders are there for peace of mind. I disagree that they do absolutely nothing but OG is right in saying the system registers the lap bars and not the shoulder holders.

But surely if the shoulder bars did anything above improve comfort and/or make the ride not seem too daunting, would S&S not make them register with the system?

But surely if the shoulder bars did anything above improve comfort and/or make the ride not seem too daunting, would S&S not make them register with the system?

Its a difficult one. Theoretically the ride system is supposedly able to hold you in by the lap bar. On the flip side, the shoulder holders act as a way to hold you in an upright position.

Safety wise as far as S&S are concerned, they are not essential. I think it's merely there just for comfort (I said disagree because I dispute that without a shoulder restraint it would be a safe ride. Surely it'd allow people's torso's too much movement to be safe, but thats another day) :P

That's what I meant by safer riding posture, my apologies I should have been clearer :)

On a different topic, am I being crazy or was there some suggestion that at the time of construction, Slammer could receive on ride photos? Of all the flat rides at Thorpe, it is one of the few that could really lend itself to some good photo moments which wouldn't be too complex to capture.

Yes, there was also a baggage room on the original plans too.

If anything like the ride photos that were added to RR at Chessington a few years back, I wouldn't have been a fan. No one wants a load of strangers in their photo. If Picsolve added editable pics like at Busch or Seaworld, that would be different.