Chessington Howl'o'ween

Hello guys, I'm thinking of attending over Halloween. How busy does it get? Will I need fast-track? What's the best time to be there?

Thanks in advance :)

Get there for opening (which should be a consideration for any park visit), then head onto Vampire/Fury depending on the entrance you arrive at...

You might well need Fastrack for something later in the day depending on the operations, and judging by the year so far that is quite likely...

Busyness varies greatly at Chessie, so best to just play things by ear...

It won't have to do much let's be honest considering the lack of expectation that Chessie have given us this year...

Although it'll probably be the same recycling theming every year on park, the only hope really lies with HPH's redo...

And of course, the park will still have it's other problems...

people are so negative lol... I've been chessington twice this year (albeit out of peak times) and still absolutely love it - can't wait to go back in half term - all theme parks have their issues, some more than others... but nothing major is going to happen unless people stop visiting to make a big impact, which I doubt will happen, so you'll have to make your own choice whether to go or not.

Unfortunately though, Chessington have gone downhill this year,despite slight improvements from 2010.

Went toChessi grown three times last year and still couldn't get enough go the place but gave only been once this year and only intend to return this to see a Haloween Hocus Pocus mainly just for the Hocus Pocus revamp and night rides (which I've never done).

Though the revamp looks to have big potential, there's still many problems including the park having 2 main rides down (plus a few closed at dusk too) which then means the remaining rides have more demand which with this years operations and the fact one of the parks biggest and popular rides will only be running on 60% or less of its capacity.

In addition, the park will still close an hour early from previous (and better years) meaning you may only get 1-2 for nights which for a time when darkness is the main centre, is not good.

people are so negative lol... I've been chessington twice this year (albeit out of peak times) and still absolutely love it - can't wait to go back in half term - all theme parks have their issues, some more than others... but nothing major is going to happen unless people stop visiting to make a big impact, which I doubt will happen, so you'll have to make your own choice whether to go or not.

Shouldn't be like this though; if the park is below standard, they themselves should realise this and do something about it.

On topic, here's the next journal entry:

1377402_10151904133554035_871663546_n.jp

I've been too lazy to read it yet...

Halloween at Chessington is great! Their park wide lighting is the best out of all the Merlin parks easily, They try and theme the place so it actually feels like a Halloween themed event no matter what time of day it is, the music used is amazing, and the mazes are great for their target audience! Haunting in the Hollows last year was superb with the right mix of story, scares, laughs, and a little strobe maze section. I'm very excited for The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall too!

Yes there's the issue of half the park closing at dusk (well all of it on some days) and the 7 close which isn't enough, 8 was good but 7 is far too short! Yes there's the low capacity rides and lack of care to try and run them the best they can be run, plus one main ride and a queue soaker ride closed this year but I'm sure I'll still have a great time when I go!

I've been going Chessington for years, they aren't good enough anymore so I have chosen not to go this year. I normally make at least five visits there a season but the quality and experience has rapidly deteriorated over the last four seasons.

Soooooo this started today...

The park, lacked surprisingly on the theming front, aside from a far amount of pumpkins, it was nowhere near the standard of previous years... A disappointing start really...

It was pretty quiet today, although why Vampire now thinks that loading 6 rows first thing on a Saturday because it's (and I quote) "Too quiet to load the entire train" is beyond me... Every time I go that ride gets worse...

One positive for the park is of course, their two mazes... We were the first load into Haunting in the Hollows, and I don't think any of us had done it before... It was quite good, and far superior to Blair Witch Project in the finale section... It fits Chessie's audience right down to the tee actually, with the mix of hammer horror (the BOOBS on the girl working on it), obvious scares and a potentially scarring experience in the end portion for the younger ones... I was impressed...

Hocus Pocus Hall was next, and we were heavily anticipating this one with all the positivity surrounding it... And the change is amazingly drastic to the look of the various rooms and what-not... There were some flaws however, as the spaces available were too small for the group, potential rejigs should be considered for that... The new theming was pretty good though with the brand new pre-show of actually decent effects... I would like to think that positive feedback on the attraction will make Chessie try and make it into a permanent style attraction in a similar fashion to HPH, just, better and with more effects around the place...

Overall, the two mazes were good, the park itself was disappointing... Can't rate the lighting since we left early and the park wouldn't have had them on anyways... Ah wells... Towers next week, then some European attempts to finish off my Halloween trips...

Were there any live actors inside hocus pocus hall? Shame about the such early closing of 5 though!

I'm not suprised about them only loading the front 6 rows of vampire. At thorpe they had blocked off half the rows of Colossus because it was too empty to load them up. Not sure what their problem about it being too empty was. Although saying this, it was only 2 rides wait to get on. How long was the queue for vampire in the morning, it gets long very quickly!

Hi Guys,

Got back from Chessington's Halloween Hocus Pocus yesterday and I have to say I am very very impressed! First of all I want to comment on the park. Usually Chessington is one of the best dressed in my opinion but apart from a huge amount pumpkins there wasn't much else. Although it was only open until 5 the lighting looked very impressive this year and look forward to seeing this!

The mazes, or Halloween attractions were impressive, here is my reviews;

The Mystery of Hocus Pocus Hall

This was probably the biggest surprise of the day. We queued for ages for this ride due to the very low through put. When you first enter the building you are greeted by one of the explorers helpers. She explained to us about how Sir Arthur used to collect rare items and his final item was the mystical gem. This gem transported him into another realm (as you do!). She then comes across the gem and some absolutely fantastic projections swirl around the room show you to a secret entrance. You then gain access to this portal where you come across Cleopatra, some strange man in the middle of the Jungle and finally a scurvy pirate. The mirror maze at the ending was great as you escape this other realm all though the ending was a bit anticlimactic.

All in all the theming and the acting was great and some seriously cool effects were used! Highly recommended.

The Haunting in the Hollows

This was probably the biggest surprise of the day! We got to the attraction just past the vampire at 3pm and there was absoutley no queue! This was a great surprise ;-) and we were then briefed before we made our way through the gates. You are first greeted by Van Helsing who tells you about the strange happenings. You then make your way through the town before you come across a hearse. A strange man starts shouting at you before you are ushered into a coffin shop where you are cornered by a vampire. Making your way our you enter the Tomb of Dracula where an awesome scene comes about featuring Dracula. There was a fantastic strobe finale and it was great fun.

All in all was very impressed by all the acting and the mazes themselves and the park just need to open a bit later to enjoy the fantastic lighting they have installed! Would recommend visiting Chessington this year for Halloween! For some more pictures check out my [url=http://www.flickr.com/themeparkmania[/url]Flickr

DSCF9069_zpsd485cd9d.jpg

IMG_20131020_143926_zps27742e93.jpg

DSCF9104_zps8038e02d.jpg

DSCF9107_zps2c27d379.jpg

Thanks for reading ;-)

So.. Mystery of HPH.. it seems to have taken the story and feeling of mystic manor at disney (and who'd blame them? It's fantastic).

How far does it really take the story? Does it feel like a good update to HPH?

Well you basically go through the 3 sections referred to in the backstory posted on Facebook (Egypt with Cleopatra, Jungle with random man and Seaside with random Pirate) as you are trapped inside the emerald with them (and the professor who you encounter right before the mirror maze)... So it does take the story to a reasonable length, but don't use the spaces particularly well in most cases it feels too cramped to be enjoyable... It's like Mystic Manor but not entirely the same as it takes place 'within' the emerald rather than in a house brought to life by a curious monkey...

It's a decent update to HPH, the new effect in the pre-show is fantastic and probably the best part of the entire attraction... I would LOVE to see Chessie take the story further in a full on actorless walkthrough (then add them in for Halloween) and basically full on rip off Mystic Manor with animatronics and other effects throughout... It would be a fantastic permanent addition if done well...