Random

Phill

Ahh how come you're allowed to do that?

Well, at Portsmouth you can stay in halls past your first year but you have to apply to be a Residence Assistant or something, which sounds pants :P

Similar thing?

At Warwick, if you do a 4 year course, you can move back into Halls of Residence in your 4th year, which are specially for 4th years (and even some some 3rd years in their final year).

I love my Halls though; don't wannt move out of them at the end of the year. :(

I'm pretty sure the only ways we're allowed back at Portsmouth are by becoming an RA or being an international student! Although one of my friends was saying that if you have struggled to find a house/housemates and tell the uni then they will let you back into halls, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Honestly, now I have a house lined up, I can't wait to move out of halls and into the house! Not only is it a nice house (as nice as student houses get anyway), I'm going to be living with much better people! I'm with 6 other people again, but instead of random people they're my friends! Genuinely excited about it.

The only (potential) downfall is that I'm lead tenant, so if someone doesn't come through with their rent it's my credit rating that gets ruined.

The idea of going to space would freak da cr*p out of me - I have a fear of the universe and height and have never even been on a plane. 2 words - sod that!!

Han, I'm scared of heights too but I'm going on a plane this September! I'll let you know what it's like :P

Ahh sweet. I'm in rubbish halls anyway so I'd rather move out :P

From your posts I guess your at Portsmouth.. what halls would you recommend? :P

Took a 'gap year' this year to get some money together for Uni.. now I'm just panicking about accommodation.. even though there are like 7 months left. :')

I am indeed at Portsmouth! Are you thinking of going there then?

Erm, depends what you're after... The city centre halls (Guildhall) are (obviously) in close proximity to the uni buildings, but they can be really noisy at night and get a ton of fire alarms. They cost more to live in and they're self catered. Oh, and James Watson smells pretty disgusting. They do make going on nights out a LOT easier though because you're pretty much on top of all the clubs.

Langstone Student Village (I'm currently there) is 3 miles out from the uni campus (free bus service though). It's a bit cheaper to live out here (rent is less), and if you're in QEQM (which I am), you're part catered so get one meal a day cooked for you. The QEQM rooms have a lot more storage space, and nicer bathrooms - I have a proper shower instead of the wetroom that the other ensuite halls have. It's MUCH quieter out here, and I have never had a fire alarm as of yet (feel like I'm missing out on a fundamental halls experience though). Also, if you want to bring a car to uni you need to live here. Nights out from here are more difficult as the bus stops taking people back at about 00:15, so you need to get a taxi back which costs about £8 (but if you rally a bunch of Langstoners together it's not so bad).

The other halls are Rees & Burrell - they're by the Southsea seafront (about a 10-15 minute walk from the uni) and they're both fully catered. Apart from that I have no idea what they're like (except that Burrell looks terrible and Rees is stupidly expensive). :P

Best bet is to apply early because you're far more likely to get what you want... I left it a bit late and got put in Langstone, which wasn't my first choice but it is cheaper to live here and the bus service is fairly regular and free. I found that living further out means I am going out less due to the effort/extra cost of it, so I end up not wasting my money on booze! :P

Yeah, I applied last year and deferred when I got my results through, so I'm already in, woo :P

Was looking at somewhere self-catered (I really hate being a fussy eater) with an en-suite (I really don't care if it's horrible, I need my own bathroom O__O), so I was split between Harry Law and Langstone, which apparently you can go self-catered in. Langstone is cheaper, but Harry Law is much closer to the venues (I'm not a 'club/alcohol' person, I'd rather just get a ticket for a gig and have a coke) and train station. But then it's more expensive, and I'm not sure if I'll be taking a car. So both have their ups and downs for me, I guess.

Kinda swinging towards Langstone right now.

To be perfectly honest I really didn't like Harry Law - the flats aren't separate so ANYONE can walk past your room. But you're not me so :P

Yeah you can go self catered in Langstone but you don't get to choose that - it's luck of the draw. I didn't want to be part catered but it's so nice knowing you don't have to cook a meal in the evenings :lol: I'm a fairly fussy eater and I manage okay. The self catered halls in Langstone are Langstone Flats and Trust Hall, but Trust is shared bathroom facilities :ninja:

What course are you doing? :)

Sounds like a pretty interesting course to study, or I imagine so anyway XD

And yeah, I had noticed a few people here go to Portsmouth, which is pretty cool, as long as I stay around and keep getting to know all you guys, I might vaguely know one or 2 people come September, which sounds good to me! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It's good to know. Everyone should do it.

Considering what we go to our training is basic, but I've still used it quite effectively a few times. You don't need to be an expert but you'll be glad of a little knowledge when something happens in front of you, because one day it will!

I once helped a passed out lady on the side of a road and barely remembered any first aid training from brownies! Tip 1. Don't crush their glasses. ;)

I signed up for the next available course at college and paid £40 for the privilege!! Just because I wanted to be more prepared as it always seems to be me that's first to help someone! If your employer is willing to pay for it I'd say do it. The certificate lasts for a few years and if yours is first aid in the workplace (which mine is) you can show future employers and they may pay you a bit extra for it! I haven't done so for my job because some places require you to do their own course. Good add on for a CV though :)

Also, once you've seen one unconscious person it's super easy to spot the fakers!!