Random

Phill

Well now we all sound barmy!

I shall explain my actions for anyone concerned: my body clock has been messed up for a good few months now, this happens every winter - due to my hours decreasing at work and havig nothing to get up for, I easily slip into bad habits and am naturally a night owl!

Now while it may be unhealthy, the idea is that by staying awake I am knackered tonight and then feel tired at a reasonable time, hopefully starting the return of a normal body clock.

I can't get to sleep until about 4am these days so it got to the point where I thought "I'm sick of this happening then wasting the day asleep. I want/need to sort this out!"

So I have good intentions for my body :P Just means a day of delirium! And it has also given me a future fundraising idea - this is something I would happily and probably quite easily due for charity!

Oh and I've tried the whole setting an alarm and getting up and staying awake all day thing. Doesn't work. Another reason why I am trying this :P

I am with Mer on this one, as I think it is a good experience to have, even if it is a bit barmy! I too have trouble sleeping and that is especially bad for school, so I think this would help sort me out, and it is a great fundraising idea, and I would love to take part in it. And I can assure you the knackered feeling comes and goes as right now I feel as it I am wide awake, even though a bit delirious!

You're overtired. Sleep deprivation can be extremely bad for you. Google Peter Tripp. Obviously there are individual differences between people, but still!

If you really do have a lot of trouble sleeping there is a LOT of advice on google about what to do. Search for it and use it. But pulling an all nighter really isn't healthy, especially if you do it often (or stay awake till the stupid hours of the morning). There are loads of bad long term effects...

Regarding sleep..

As Benin says, set a routine up. If you want to get to sleep by a certain time (say 11pm), get in bed (as in, in your bed, in your pyjamas or whatever, with only a desk-side light or something) about half an hour before you plan to go to sleep and do something relaxing. Whether it's reading a book, watching the news (if you're lucky enough to have a TV in your room) or playing a relaxing game on your phone - anything which you find relaxing. It will calm you down and should tired your eyes a bit. When it hits the time you want to sleep, stop, and try to sleep. Whilst it may not happen immeadiately, your body will get used to the routine sooner or later - hopefully sooner - and huzzuh, it works. It's also a much better way to get to sleep rather than staying out of bed till you're literally too tired to do anything but sleep, as it gives you wind-down time; something people all too often forget to do.

The idea of staying awake for a ridiculous length of time is not good. Whilst it may sort out your sleeping habit in the short term, it's not going to help in the long term as, ultimately, you haven't dealt with the root of the problem - you don't have a sleeping routine. You'll have to do this sleep starvation again and again and it will become a more regular occurance, which is just even worse for your body.

Recently I got up about 1pm on a Sunday and went out for the day. I didn't bother going to bed that following night, so on the Monday I had about a half-hour kip and then went to bed as normal about 11pm that night

The weird thing is I didn't feel my eyelids dropping once. :huh:

I see people post here right through the night. When you see me post at those sort of hours, I'm wide awake and up when I shouldn't be!

I'm wide awake at these hours too but if I have very little sleep (as for college I'm usually up early) I'm buzzing, hyper and alert that day and then it hits me the next and I can barely last the second day.

When I first joined TPM I could quite happily live with 4 hours sleep maximum per night, I was typically awake til 4am with Hepburn! I never felt tired, the only difference was the purple under my eyes. Nowadays, I couldn't do that at all!! Eventually your body just can't cope any more. Annoying really, I inherited my late body clock of sleeping/getting up late and I like it that way!

Just something I want to point out...

When people post photos that aren't their own, can they credit who it belongs to? I know I've been guilty of it in the past, and it can sometimes annoy people if they haven't got credit for their own photos, and would hate to see people on here get in trouble for something like that.

:)

:(

Sad to hear that Ryan, you've been a Mod for ages (gotta be at least 3 years?) and you just felt like a member of the Team Furniture really, if you will. I know I've had a couple of little arguments with you in the past, but I'm glad they were sorted out quickly and smoothly; you're a great member and seem like a great guy.

Hopefully I'll still bump into you every now and then at Thorpe, ey? ;)