Chessington General Discussion

Ash

The car park on the grass was pretty much out of use yesterday. They were parking cars on the edge of the fields. No one was allowed to park in the middle of the fields due to it being completely swamped. They eventually ran out of parking spaces and had to stop letting people in. Yeah it was a bit busy yesterday but it didn't really hit 'capacity'.

It was due to the rain, obviously, that the South car park was closed.However, I don't know if it implies for today, or just has not been changed, but the website is stating that the park has hit capacity.We haven't had any rain so maybe the park actually is full?!

Chessington hasn't hit capacity at all this year, even over the past weekend and past few days, they've simply had to close the car parks off and told Adventurers that to enter they need to park elsewhere.Gate Figures were 5,000 Friday, 4,000 Saturday, 11,000 Sunday, 10,000 Monday and 9,000 Tuesday (today).Nowhere at all near capacity - this can be proven with AP day which was 14,500 and still 3,500 short of capacity!

I have been thinking for a while now, Chessington still has quite a number of rides left from when it originally opened. Looking at the Dragon Falls thread, it occured to me that in my opinion I think that Dragon Falls is possibly the best looking ride left from the 1987 batch. It has excellent reliability, it has only been closed in the '07 season briefly to make the trough better positioned or whatever it was. But all in all, the theming, station and boats are all in fantastic condition for 23 years old. I mean looking at Safari Skyway and Runaway Train which are BOTH in an appauling condition (again in my opinion) it's clear to see that this ride can withstand a lot. I don't know if its because the park pay special attention to it because they know its popular with guests or it has just aged well. Either way (minus jumbo's) I think this ride looks best for its age... anyone disagree/agree with this? Be interesting to think about other's opinions on the best looking ride from the opening year!!

This question has probably been asked before, and I didn't want to start a new thread on it, so I'll mention it here instead. I was just pondering to myself, when did Chessington stop being magical for me.Going a bit further into this, I'd have to say 2004. Why? Well... I used to visit the park on a yearly basis, I would get woken up by my parents and they would tell me 'we're going to Chessington today' and I would nearly be sick with excitement (bearing in mind this was 1999/2000, so I was only 6/7) because it was the place I talked about the most at primary school with my friends. I dreamt of going there all the time, it had such magical rides that intrigued me so much.We got to the park and I remember each time it wasn't that busy and so we were able to go onto Dragon Falls 3/4 times in a row without getting off, then run over to Professor Burp's Bubbleworks (which I remember being so magical I still vividly remember the interesting smells, music, sound effects and visually what there was to look at. We then had lunch in McDonalds, and I was asked if I wanted to go on the Vampire after lunch (which had the infamous 'bat' cars). I reluctantly said yes, and I remember being SO scared by the organist, the music, the scenery, the trains it was SO daunting and after riding I was so proud of myself for going on the ride I had wanted to go on for ages, but couldn't because of my height. We then went on the smaller rides like Safari Skyway, Seastorm ect (ones I seem to miss out on these days, opting for Dragon's Fury and what not). My question is When did Chessington stop being magical for you? Maybe it still is in some way. Don't get me wrong I love the park to bits and will always defend it when people say to me "Nahh, Thorpe Park's better, it's got bigger rides for me" My response... "Well Chessington is a much better FAMILY park". I just feel that in 2004 parts of my childhood were being demolished. The Land of the Dragon's came with a new rollercoaster and it seemed like Chessington's target audience were now bigger children as opposed to me at 6/7 years old. The Adventure House was knocked down, Action Man, Toadie's Cars was shortened, and as a child for me it lost that magical feel. Too much was changing, and at the time it was for the worse. Then of course the next year Professor Burp went.Of course, it may be to do with the fact I go to the park 15 - 20 times per year now, but even so. When I think of going to Chessington I think no longer, "Ahhh that magical place full of mystery" I can't help but think to myself, "Yeah it's good to go there, but for me NOW its JUST another fun day out" - again maybe thats to do with me being a teenager now. Anyway, when did Chessington stop being magical for you, or is it still?Also, do you think that if you were 10 years younger today, would you find Chessington as magaical today as you would have done 10 years ago... is the magical thing just something a child would experience when visiting the park?

If I am being honest - Chessington WoA still has not lost its magic touch for me and I am 17! :PI still get a buzz as I pull into the car park and start to make my way over to Vampire! If Vampire was to leave the park, that is probably when I would say 'it has lost its magic'. - Purely because I have so many memories of Vampire and think everything about it is great. Vampire is the main reason I visit, so without it, I would say it would have lost the magic touch.Tbh - Even when I turn up for work - I still have a buzz going through me as I walk into the park! <_<;)

I believe there's an apostrophe in 'it's'.

This depends actually. If he is using the word "Its" as a contraction for it is, then yes you are correct. If however he is using the term "Its" in its possessive manner then he would actually be correct as it would be incorrect to use an apostrophe.

This depends actually. If he is using the word "Its" as a contraction for it is, then yes you are correct. If however he is using the term "Its" in its possessive manner then he would actually be correct as it would be incorrect to use an apostrophe.

He/she has joined the word 'it' and 'is', and when joining words like that (or a contraction like you said) an apostrophe needs to be added, in this case between the t and s.Let's get back on topic shall we?...

Do you mean actual capacity or "capacity" when the park is actually closed so the business doesn't completely ruin everyones day?Usually at "capacity" I'd say all major coasters at 90-120mins, all/majority of flats from 60-90 mins.At actual capacity, well probably 3 hours for major coasters and 2 for flats.Well that's what I'd guess, but the usual things would effect the queue's like weather, rides available/reliability etc etc.Edit: Silly me, thought this was in the Thorpe sectionFor Chessington at "capacity" 60-90 mins for main rides such as Vampire, Fury, Tomb etc and 60 at most for almost everything else I'd assume.At actual capacity, it's not even worth thinking about <_<

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion