Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

So a flat ride has been seen being constructed on the Submission site.. It looks pretty bright colored and tacky, ehhhh. I am worried it will ruin their respective areas. X sector is the coolest area of the park, Oblivion and especially Smiler has an amazing atmosphere around it. I'd be pissed if they ruin that amazing atmosphere.

I hope they try and make the other ones more subtle, cos jesus..

1 hour ago, JoshuaWAH said:

X sector is the coolest area of the park, Oblivion and especially Smiler has an amazing atmosphere around it.

really? I think X Sector is extremely shabby and tacky these days. I used to like the 'idea' of it but it never really came to reality. Same for Smiler, other than the ride itself which is fun.

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

really? I think X Sector is extremely shabby and tacky these days. I used to like the 'idea' of it but it never really came to reality. Same for Smiler, other than the ride itself which is fun.

For me its really all about the Smiler. It just dominates the X Sector, the blaring music, the two trains roaring around the course. And the weird sound effects. Oblivion also has its own little thing going on in the back. Its not a perfect area, but The Smiler is such a good centerpiece IMO.

Its way better than Intamin forest anyway.

52 minutes ago, JoshuaWAH said:

For me its really all about the Smiler. It just dominates the X Sector, the blaring music, the two trains roaring around the course. And the weird sound effects.

As yes on its own it is very energetic and cool looking coaster.
Dark Forest definitely the worst area of the park

2 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Who’s betting on these becoming permanent if they are successful!

Well my first thought is "ugh please no", but considering Zodiac and Detonator were basically funfair rides, they fit in nicely.. 
I guess they could keep them (or similar) and try to make them fit in?

From what I understand, the funfair rides have been hired from fair operators and they will be operated by the fairground staff. 

As such, I would expect little modifications made to the rides themselves (though it would be nice). 

I'd also be surprised if they stayed beyond this year. It's a mutually beneficial situation. Towers get extra rides to spread numbers about (and maybe show the powers that be at Merlin flat rides are necessary investments). The ride owners make money whilst fairs aren't allowed to open. Win win.

Come 2022, fairs should hopefully be allowed to open, and Towers might be in a better situation. If Towers wanted to buy one of the rides, it would probably be easier to buy it for new from a manufacturer.

8 hours ago, JoshC. said:

From what I understand, the funfair rides have been hired from fair operators and they will be operated by the fairground staff. 

As such, I would expect little modifications made to the rides themselves (though it would be nice). 

I'd also be surprised if they stayed beyond this year. It's a mutually beneficial situation. Towers get extra rides to spread numbers about (and maybe show the powers that be at Merlin flat rides are necessary investments). The ride owners make money whilst fairs aren't allowed to open. Win win.

Come 2022, fairs should hopefully be allowed to open, and Towers might be in a better situation. If Towers wanted to buy one of the rides, it would probably be easier to buy it for new from a manufacturer.

Or they could carry on a relationship with the fair industry as we all know fair rides can be well themed if the budgets there... winter wonderland says hello...

Different flat rides in the park every year keeps the lineup fresh etc

6 hours ago, RobF said:

Or they could carry on a relationship with the fair industry as we all know fair rides can be well themed if the budgets there... winter wonderland says hello...

Different flat rides in the park every year keeps the lineup fresh etc

It's not implausible, but I just don't see it happening. 

Fair rides generate a lot of money. I would be genuinely surprised if it Alton Towers would, yearly, offer enough money to fair operators that they see it as more enticing to lend ride(s) to Towers than keep them on the fair circuit. Especially once fairs actually reopen and the operators are travelling again.

There's the other side of the coin as well that eventually it would be cheaper for Towers to buy a ride than hire one every year. Sure, you lose the yearly variety / mix up, but long term it's cheaper, which ultimately is a plus for them.

If their Oktoberfest event, for example, continues and expands, I could see the temptation there to bring in a ride or two for the event. That would be pretty cool. Logistically a huge challenge given fairs are hugely popular that time of year and the park have Halloween preparations too, but could happen, especially with a good relationship. 

It certainly isn't something to dismiss, but I do see it as unlikely. And honestly, I hope it doesn't happen and we instead see permanent ride installations in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

So Alton just announced a new event for the 22nd May – 20th June- it is called Mardi Gras. Here is some more info.

"a carnival inspired takeover that will dazzle you with an explosion of colours, sounds, high energy entertainment and rides open until late, as well as exciting new food options from around the world."

This sounds like fun IMO. I like how Merlin are experimenting with events at their parks. The extra entertainment, and food options honestly really add to the atmosphere of the parks.

I liked Oktoberfest at Thorpe, it was not perfect. But it had its quirks, and the beer was a perk.

I hope we get something like this at Thorpe, it would be a bit of fun.

Mardi Gras inspired event is an interesting choice. Has potential, but equally could end up feeling quite tacky. But in saying that, Towers should be given the benefit of the doubt I guess given they did good with Oktoberfest. And if it ends up it giving the park longer opening hours, both this year and long term, that's a good thing in my books.

I hope Thorpe doesn't get a Mardi Gras event for a couple of reasons:

-I'd prefer if the parks had a diverse set of events

-Thorpe really should be getting a more dedicated event space if they want more events like that

-Their Oktoberfest event wasn't as good as Towers'. I'd rather they work on improving an existing event (and also FN) than getting another new one

The Ultimate Summer of Fun very much feels like they just realised they'd forgotten July and August existed and cobbled something together at the last second. 

July in particular will be a hard month for the parks I think. I doubt we'll see many, if any, school trips, which is usually where a bulk of the visitation comes from then. And if most restrictions are lifted then, I think people will be more interested in doing other things than the parks which would have been open for a long time comparatively. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

I think summer holidays will be fine for the parks. But if international travel is allowed, they might lose some of the staycation audience which is being pushed a lot at the moment. 

I guess its good they are trying to add events during the summer period albeit a little last minute.

Thorpe sorely lacks a summer event at the moment, so having Mardi Gras and something going on during the main summer is decent.

19 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Thorpe really should be getting a more dedicated event space if they want more events like that

I felt the Oktoberfest plaza was fine how it was. With Derren gone it is a dead area, so having the plaza there actually worked fairly well, it gave me reason to walk there. Alton probably had a way better setup, but they have huge amounts of space on their side. I do not think there is many other options at Thorpe tbh. Maybe Big Top's old location?

19 hours ago, JoshC. said:

-Their Oktoberfest event wasn't as good as Towers'. I'd rather they work on improving an existing event (and also FN) than getting another new one

Can't they do both? Oktoberfest/FN would be a good few months after a spring/summer event. It doesn't have to be perfect. Its all a bit of fun at the end of the day. Some extra food options and entertainment can go a long way.

2 hours ago, JoshuaWAH said:

I felt the Oktoberfest plaza was fine how it was. With Derren gone it is a dead area, so having the plaza there actually worked fairly well, it gave me reason to walk there. Alton probably had a way better setup, but they have huge amounts of space on their side. I do not think there is many other options at Thorpe tbh. Maybe Big Top's old location?

Oktoberfest at Thorpe was fine in general, but could be much better. The issue with the placing last year is that it's less a plaza, and more just an extended walkway. And with Ghost Train back open this year, it makes it trickier. 

Ultimately if Thorpe want more events, then they should look at having a place that works for them, rather than just a "this will do" type thing.

2 hours ago, JoshuaWAH said:

Can't they do both? Oktoberfest/FN would be a good few months after a spring/summer event. It doesn't have to be perfect. Its all a bit of fun at the end of the day. Some extra food options and entertainment can go a long way.

I mean Oktoberfest follows pretty much effectively after summer ends, and then FN straight after. 

My point there was more Oktoberfest can improve, Fright Nights can improve (and with the 20th anniversary, should see a large budget to do some justice there). Whatever budget they have can only stretch so far, and depending on what that is, I'd rather see it focused on improving what they have rather than growing. Towers' situation is different as their Oktoberfest, though it could be refined I'm sure, was pretty bang on for what it should be.

Obviously events are a good thing, within reason, but walk before you can run and all that imo.

I mean, Towers has the benefit of having several large open space areas such as the lawn near the lake and that square near Hex.

And also unlike Thorpe, it doesn’t seem to be a graveyard for derelict attractions “glares at most of Old Town”.

This is where the Arena would’ve been handy for Thorpe.

The Retrosquad are coming to Alton Towers: https://www.altontowers.com/explore/theme-park/rides-attractions/retro-squad/

• Funk’n’Fly - Super Trooper in Forbidden Valley
  • Mixtape - Smashing Jump in X-Sector
  • Roller Disco - Waltzer in Dark Forest

I don't mind the retro / 80s vibe they're going for here. In fact, I think it would be a pretty cool area at a theme park. But I'm still not a fan of their scatteredness, or the whole idea of these temporary flat rides.

Interestingly there is a 4th temporary ride, a Twist in David Walliams World behind the Carousel, which has yet to be officially mentioned by Towers.