The Smiler

th13teen

Probs depends on the composite of the track metal really, that and it's also experienced snow, flooding and ridiculously heavy rain since being built... And the weather over winter season when it wasn't running so any rust developing wouldn't be dislodged has been rather ridiculous... Which if the paint wasn't particularly any good at protecting it or the composition of the track being crap, would make a bigger difference in comparison to other rides...

I wonder if the mister effect has made much of a difference on the track around it as well... Wouldn't be surprised that much...

Smiler's airtime hills are fun (due to the fact that they're pretty much the only elements on the ride which don't turn you upside down...).

However, Saw's airtime hill has seems to give a lot more airtime for me than on my 2 experiences with Smiler. The shape of the airtime hills probably plays a factor in that to be honest.

Also, having not ridden Smiler, aren't the airtime hills, or at least one of them, trimmed? How much trimming have you guys felt when you have ridden?

They can be trimmed, although I only recall being notably trimmed on one ride; and you notice it as it crawls through the knot and the corkscrew (it's the first airtime that can be trimmed if I remember correctly).

Most of the time I believe it doesn't trim. Or I've been lucky on my six rides or so. (I don't particularly like Smiler if I'm honest).

The trims are dependant on the speed of the train, the brake fins raise if the train is going too fast, but the majority of the time they are not needed that much. I believe the valleying issue was due to the trims slowing the train too much, so I assume they have tweaked them since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I had no airtime on the smiler. I think the fact there are trims and the speed and the length of the train plays a massive part in it, as they seem to be a similar shape/length as the little (head chopper) one on Colossus after the loop. To be honest I don't really remember them, the bit I remember most is coming out of the first inversion and not being able to work out which way was up or down due to the mirrored walls and the puddle (or mirror) on the floor :P

The trims on the airtime hill only play a role if the train is going too fast; they're not like Th13teen's and operate all the time, for example.

I didn't find Smiler's airtime hills that great to be honest. I can't remember if I got that much airtime, but the main reason I enjoyed them was the fact that they weren't an inversion and broke up the monotony of being rolled upside constantly...

• 1 month later...

There's a pizza :blink:

Pizza is a favourite pastime for the thrill seeking and adventurous family audience, so what better way to bring to life the mind boggling effect of The Smiler than through a hot & spicy flavoured pizza?

Hold onto your taste buds thrill seekers, sit back and buckle-up, as The Smiler Pizza will take you on a taste experience you won’t forget in a hurry with its deep pan baked base, spicy sausage, pan fried onion and Jalapeno peppers.

Link: Goodfella's New Smiler Pizza

smiler-comp.png

On the weekend, both on Saturday on Sunday I got in the que at about 9:30. On both days it went round at about 9:45 with 2 staff on the front row then when they got to the end (outside the station) after about 5 minutes someone came out and evaced them there. Anyone know why they would do this?

• 4 weeks later...

As many will no doubt be aware, Alton were doing a 'Whirlled Cup of Rides'; a knockout tournament to find the best ride.

Somewhat to my surprise, Smiler has beaten Nemesis with 52% of the vote in the final! Just goes to show that, despite the mixed response from enthusiasts, Smiler was the thing Alton really needed and it's worked a treat. Regardless of how good a judge Facebook is, it still shows Smiler is a very popular ride and that Alton and Merlin are doing something right.

As many will no doubt be aware, Alton were doing a 'Whirlled Cup of Rides'; a knockout tournament to find the best ride.

Somewhat to my surprise, Smiler has beaten Nemesis with 52% of the vote in the final! Just goes to show that, despite the mixed response from enthusiasts, Smiler was the thing Alton really needed and it's worked a treat. Regardless of how good a judge Facebook is, it still shows Smiler is a very popular ride and that Alton and Merlin are doing something right.

The true factor is that the public love it, possibly because of the more inversions = more fun mindset, because they see the rattle as part and parcel of the ride, or because they just do like it...

Smiler, as an overall attraction, was and still is the best thing the UK has seen in years... It's visually impressive and the ride (rattles included) does leave an impression for better or worse... Then consider the branding that was thrown in and it's no surprise that the public lapped it up...

As enthusiasts, we know everything and nothing at the same time...