The Smiler

th13teen

Its just sickening how The Smiler is such a great ride...yet it BARELY has any themeing! If it weren't for the queueline taking up pretty much ALL of the surface area of the pit, they could've (say) built a small or fairly large structure in similarity to The Marmaliser and make it have some sort of connection to it!

It has quite a lot in my opinion.  Lots on the Marmaliser, inside projection mapping, nice runway of lights before the first lifthill.

All it's missing is the small touches.  Posters in the station, and maybe a few theming elements to the side or under the track that you might get a glimpse of as you go round.  An idea I had was dummies of people smiling dotted around the layout at ground level across the ride (as it dives down to the ground quite a lot).

*cough*stationexterior*cough*

Some form of object/building in the Staffs Knot pit wouldn't have gone amiss, but Smiler's layout doesn't really lend itself to having lots of theming elements dotted around...

The station building is the issue, rather than the ride, theming wise...

I agree. Some people out there seem to think that a huge concrete building with a series of yellow pipes can be considered "well themed". Personally, I've seen better detail on an unfinished house! ;)

While I'm not saying that I think the station building is well themed, I don't think it matters in the slightest, as you never really see it. The track and The Marmaliser are the stars of the show, it's hard to really notice the building, plus the bits of the building that you do see while queuing have been decorated relatively well.

If they had spent money on an elaborately themed station, it would've been a waste, and only diverted money from other areas.

You have a point. Many members have complained earlier about there not being enough detail INSIDE the building (me included :P), but the thing is, The Smiler isn't meant to be EXACTLY like The Sanctuary - it's nothing more than a huge machine, designed to marmalise others...hence the nickname "The Ultimate Correctional Device"

While I'm not saying that I think the station building is well themed, I don't think it matters in the slightest, as you never really see it. The track and The Marmaliser are the stars of the show, it's hard to really notice the building, plus the bits of the building that you do see while queuing have been decorated relatively well.

If they had spent money on an elaborately themed station, it would've been a waste, and only diverted money from other areas.

385739_10152149033095220_1993727481_n.jp

Yep, such a waste to have a wonderfully themed station building, silly Europa...

The projection mapping and exit corridor were both broken on Wednesday and Friday, but oddly they were working on Thursday... 

Projection mapping was working Wednesday morning during ERT. Then it was obviously down  before 4 as when I went in again it was off at first then fixed in the 10 minutes I was in there. 

Was looking at smiler videos on youtube and in the comments on one of them someone said that the smiler should have a backwards row. I think that would be a terrible idea it would just be a gimmick also it would be quite painful since you'd be resting on the safety bars whilst going up the lift hill which would also add even more stress to the safety bars. What does everyone think about the idea? (I think I know what everyone thinks ;) )