The Smiler

th13teen

Alton better have replaced The Smiler's current speakers with BOSE ones!

I really would like to see better speakers put in place, as spending two hours in that queueline with most of the speakers broken (and making a horrible noise) really wasn't fun.

I agree though that there are much more urgent matters which should be looked at first.

I thought it was a nice expensive bose system, but they just broke it/didn't install it properly?

Shoddy from start to finish, there should be LOTS of things changed/fixed/improved by the time the new season comes around, I have zero confidence that there will be though. They're are probably still arguing about whose fault it was and so who should pick up the bill for the substantial amount of money that still needs to be thrown at it.

Hmm, I'm unsure there.. do the outdoor speakers actually like being outdoors?

I've not witnessed any attraction, ANYWHERE, with Bose speakers where all of them work. Thorpes constantly die, towers ones on every ride have dead ones (sub terra and smilers died within a couple of months, with no audio volume changes). JBL seem to work best..

Considering it's bose who do the installation half the time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The music for the Smiler is very dark, sinister and atmospheric which does the job of the ride's theme tune and certainly reflects the creepy experimental inoculation theming point of the ride.

It's amazing how the track is actually over an hour long but yet with subtle changes in the music throughout the theme,something I certainly didn't notice when I spent 2.5 hours in the queue for the ride. IMA score have created some brilliant soundtrack and from what happened with the ride last year, the soundtrack is one of the few things that went right for the Smiler in 2013.

Typical of Merlin parks! New effects installed, then broken within a month of operation! Makes you wonder why they bother.

Same could be said for Valhalla tbh...

Half the time they don't seem to spend the money required to make some effects weather-proof... It's a shame, but it's something most parks suffer from it would appear... I don't remember the last time I saw Inferno's water bombs go off...

True say, maybe a bad choice of words! It was only the once where it was really noticeable that the majority of the effects where not working!

From what I remember,

1. The Giggler
  2. The Innoculator
  3. The Flasher
  4. The Smoke in the Station as you leave
  5. The Indoor queue, 1 screen had a lovely blue screen advertising the projectors company on, 1 screen was playing The Flashers role, and the other had a nice mouse pointer in the middle of it.
  6. The Audio seems to have taken its toll a few speakers seemed to of blown, including a bass one by the shop, it gave my a headache whilst stood under it!

Before then it was quite nice, but this was my last trip and me being me was whoring The Smiler ( I know I slated it, but its very good!)