The Smiler

th13teen

Seems to have been changed from yesterday:

Reports and multiple researches carried out by Alton Towers confirm that SW7 will be a Gerstlauer EuroFighter with 12 loops (a worlds first). As of now, a name hasn't been leaked, nor has the complete coaster design. However, the theme is rumoured to be based on shipping containers and scaffolding. In addition, several industrial sized tins of 'rust effect' paint have been reportedly sighted on the SW7 site.

Good to see that Wikipedia is the at the apex of legitimacy...

• 3 weeks later...

I really can't help but feel that this ride is going too take all of the tension away from Oblivion. When you walk into X-Sector, you are supposed to look at the grey track of Oblivion looming over head and diving into a mysterious hole; Not the tangled mess that is SW7.

Posted Image

SW7 is going to completely ruin Oblivion's slogan: 'Don't look down...' Obviously you are supposed to look into the dark hole before you plummet into Oblivion, and I'm pretty sure people are going to be more bothered about the cool views you get of SW7 from up in the air than what is below them.

I think SW7 looks amazing, and don't get me wrong, I'm excited. I just feel that it will take the spotlight off of Oblivion, the center piece of the X-Sector.

I thought the same, just the sound of Oblivion plummeting into the ground was so intimidating but I feel the screams and screech of SW7 will over shadow the sound :(

And that photo as just hit me like a ton of bricks (pardon the pun) but gosh! Look at the size of it :o It will be interesting to see next year if SW7 helps or disturbed's Oblivion's mighty presence in X-Sector

I was having this conversation with our resident trolley dolly Liam_T, Mer and Valentez the other week, Jack, and it's a highly valid point. SW7 genuinely clashes with The X Sector. The area, to me, is a very clinical, stark testing laboratory facility where people aren't meant to get an idea of the horrors that lie within the walls because of how eerily plain it looks. SW7's building looks like SAW's warehouse, and will have a hugely complex tangle of Gerstlauer track entwined around it, with enormously detailed set-pieces and a very compact layout. It contradicts The X Sector in every way. Even Oblivion is plain and simple, like the area it's in. It's got no fancy details - it's all purpose-built and uniform, lending that distinct air of aloofness and intrigue to it because it's so stark - an area of concrete vastness and a ride with just a drop into a big black hole. SW7 on the other hand strikes me as quite a bit too much crammed (it's MUCH closer to Oblivion than I thought) into one. It'll feel at odds with The X Sector because the ride station looks like a derelict laboratory facility left to disuse. It doesn't reek of the staunchly professional nothingness that Oblivion has. Oblivion is a secret well-kept; SW7 is an advert for the overtly disturbing. It's got random satellites cast around, cracked and filthy walls, smashed windows, and all those unusual torture device archways things in the queueline. It's hardly trying to hide itself from the prying eyes of conspiracy theorists, is it? This is something I feel Oblivion does extremely well, but something someone forget to think about when designing SW7's theme.

In many ways, Oblivion's "Something to hide" attitude to themeing is more much effective than just leaving things to fall into disarray...

Furthermore, SW7 is also going to take a lot from the ride of Oblivion. The whole area is miles from the rest of the park, and is a very isolated experience - I imagine it's quite silent too, hanging over that hole (save the screamers) and seeing nothing but maybe Enterprise, Submission and the hole. SW7 will detract a lot from the exposition of Oblivion because instead of it being you, the train and the hole, there's numerous Gerstlauer trains whizzing around a track right in front of you, taking all focus off the hole. The screaming of SW7 will also ruin the feeling of isolation whilst suspended over the hole.

Just food for thought really. I'm neither a strong advocate nor detractor of SW7 (it's a new ride - who's going to openly detract?!) as I won't be able to ride it for quite some time but I'll thoroughly enjoy following it's construction. And since we've all been chewing our legs off for some SW7 conversation, I got thinking that with all the positive appraisal the plans got when they first came out, what if we take a back seat and look at the ride's impact on the actual area? The ride I'm sure will be brilliant in it's own right. It just might feel a bit too SAW-like in that it's a jarring contrast to it's surrounding area.

Cheers for reminding me about that though, Jack.

I don't think you will hear that much of a change from SW7 and Oblivion! Look at Saw at Thorpe Park, the screams heard from Saw are nowhere near the levels of say Colossus or Swarm, so I don't think that will be a problem, however the similarity in height will be a problem!

I fear the main problem will be guests mainly saying something along the lines of this, 'SW7 (Name not confirmed yet) is great but thats what they should have done with Oblivion, SW7, is so much better because it goes upside down'

Unfortunalty thats what many guests will say, because they will not appreciate Oblivions history and acheivements!

I always seem to look over at SW7 site now, instead of down - but it makes me forget the drop, which makes it feel worse and unexpected.

However, pretty sure all the fansites were waffling on about stuff clashing when Air opened next to Nemesis. Not too fussed.

I can see what people are saying, but I actually feel as though SW7 has been designed in such a way to not impact the visual importance of Oblivion- especially when walking into X Sector- Oblivion will still very much be the main spectacle and it's not until you actually walk a little into the area will you see the majority of the track for the new ride.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm on Oblivion, hanging on the edge of that drop, the last thing I'm worried about is the surrounding attractions, I'm thinking, "how the hell is this shuttle supposed to fit into that hole?!", I'm cacking myself. You could also say similar things about the hospitality tent near to Swarm.... this is nit picking a little too much.

I feel as though my last comments contradict a major ethos and the way I experience attractions. I'm usually about the small details; the level of depth that not just singular attractions have but also their context and the way they exist in relation to others in the same themed area. What I'm getting at is... we all know that we are experiencing a fictional environment and in actuality we're in a theme park in the middle of the English countryside.... or in the middle of Surrey... or whatever... but it's a common ground that an audience have: to suspend their belief and allow the environment to take over.

Of course, we all do this to differing levels and we take whatever we want to take away from an environment. However, we have to have realistic boundaries- budgets aren't endless. When I'm on Splash Mountain and I see other attractions from other themed areas I don't feel as though I'm in any way distracted from the experience- it's just the logistical nature of the theme park which designers entrust that we suspend our belief in. Being able to see backstage areas from rides though.... that's a whole different story and spoils the illusion.

Their was something about Fred comment that got me thinking

but it makes me forget the drop, which makes it feel worse and unexpected.

Although the point of Oblivion is the hole "Don't Look Down" Ect... The new added effect of surprise will really add to the drop, looking at SW7 thinking "Awh Cool" then bam, you drop all of a sudden 180ft! :D

Furthermore, SW7 is also going to take a lot from the ride of Oblivion. The whole area is miles from the rest of the park, and is a very isolated experience - I imagine it's quite silent too, hanging over that hole (save the screamers) and seeing nothing but maybe Enterprise, Submission and the hole. SW7 will detract a lot from the exposition of Oblivion because instead of it being you, the train and the hole, there's numerous Gerstlauer trains whizzing around a track right in front of you, taking all focus off the hole. The screaming of SW7 will also ruin the feeling of isolation whilst suspended over the hole.

Yes, you're right about the silent thing! When Oblivion isn't plunging into the tunnel, it's generally quite a silent area of the park, which I really love because it adds to it. We can only wait and see (or hear!) how much SW7 will affect this, but it does worry me. There's something so awesome about standing by Oblivion's hole with nothing but the noise of the mist spraying in the tunnel :wub: It's en eerie sort of silence which works. Imagining the sound of a Gerstlauer rattling around makes me cringe if I'm honest and just reminds me of Saw. Ew.

Fortunately, not every Gerstlauer is like Saw...

Dunno what the difference between having this and the Black Hole tent makes really aside from the movement aspect... Either way, the area is still designed with Oblivion in mind and will still be the major thing to be seen as you enter the area... On the top of the drop I'm sure many people who aren't enthusiasts will still be solely focused on the massive drop and tiny hole at the bottom...

Indeed, I doubt many guests will care much that there is a new coaster apparently 'ruining' the area... The parks cannot win can they?