The Smiler

th13teen

• 3 weeks later...

Just been flicking though this. Ride looks pretty good and nice fast paced ride with lots of tight twists and turns. Not 100% sold on the theming though. Xsector is meant to be a modern looking facility. Not a old worn down place! Have they got planning permission for it yet or not?

Interesting article in "The Sentinel", sorry if it's a bit of a mess.Oh and spot the mistake :wub:

THEME park Alton Towers must shell out £100,000 on measures to ease traffic gridlock – before it can build its latest ride.The payment is designed to compensate for the thousands of extra vehicles the new ride is expected to generate on the already traffic-choked country lanes.It is predicted that traffic through the villages of Alton and Farley could increase by 150,000 vehicles a year – up to 5.5 per cent more at peak periods after the ride is unveiled.Villagers have welcomed the imposition of the financial contribution on the theme park, which already has to pay £50,000 a year for road improvements.But residents say they would still prefer a relief road as a long-term solution.It has not been revealed what the £100,000 will be spent on.The new Nemesis Sub-Terra ride will be built on the site of the Black Hole, which was taken out of use in 2005. It is being described as a psychologically and physically thrilling experience which takes place in a 'dark, intense underground setting'.It is predicted to increase traffic on average by 234 vehicles per day – with 57 more in the morning peak hour and 65 in the departure hour on the busiest days of the season.Alton Towers owner, Merlin Entertainments, has said it cannot justify spending an estimated £30 million on a relief road which it claims is only needed about six weeks a year.Alton Parish Council chairman Fred Eyre said: "We need something doing to alleviate the horrendous traffic problems in the village."We have been fobbed off for long enough and want plans in the pipeline. We are not trying to put Alton Towers down. We are just fight our corner."Fellow parish councillor Tony Moult added: "You cannot alter the traffic flow through Alton and Farley, the roads are not suitable. A bypass is needed to resolve the problem."Villager Judith Brown, who has lived on the High Street for 25 years, has attended many meetings to discuss traffic problems in the village.She said: "Traffic has increased a lot. They are old roads, and there are more vehicles and bigger buses."The coaches are the biggest problem. They used to park at the theme park, but now they come back through the village after dropping their passengers off. I sometimes see the same coach go past my house four times a day."A decision on the planning application will be made by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council's planning committee on Thursday. Planners have recommended approval of the scheme on the condition that the £100,000 road improvements deal is in place.The new ride is expected to increase attendance figures from 2.7 million in 2011 to 2.8 million in 2013. That compares with three million when the last new ride was launched in 2010. The theme park has also offered to spend £150,000 over three years on building restoration projects on the mansion ruins and Grade-I listed gardens.

Source: http://www.thisissta...tail/story.html

• 3 weeks later...

Posted Image

The above picture shows pretty well just how small the Saw: The Ride station (as you all know, another Gerstlauer) actually is compared to the 100ft drop. Surely there is no need for a station as big as 100ft for SW7 if there is no desire to build some sort of key track element/manoeuvre such as a drop from Alton? The drop inside Saw is not that big, even though it does go under ground level a little bit, and that manages to turn my tummy over every time so I reckon there may be a fairly large drop inside the SW7 station. I know LiamT posted further up the page that the station is now a bit smaller, but Th13teen is only 60ft and a steep drop with a bit of speed of that height would really pack a punch if the one on Saw: The Ride is anything to go by.

I can't think of any reason as to why the station would be so tall, other than to contain track and unless the queue line winds all the way up, and there is then a drop, there must be a lift hill to carry the car up to the roof of the station. Judging by the plans, we can almost guarantee the 'worlds first' gimmick is going to be inside the station building, so unless that somehow involves 100ft (or less) worth of containment, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly large drop and maybe even a third lift hill inside. Only a guess, but speculation none the less.

Liking the style of that image and on the 2013 page on altontowers.com. Very X Sectorish. Even the little detail like the "thank you" written in the orange X sector font when you enter your details. Very cold, secretive and I'm already getting a sinister vibe from the attraction.

To be honest, even if the ride isn't 'timed' to duel, as it were, just looking at the POVs in NoLimits that have already surfaced tells us this ride is going to have plenty of interaction with itself just by running eight cars on the track at any one time.

Will the coaster be realistically able to run 8 cars at once??

Will the coaster be realistically able to run 8 cars at once??

Yes, but there will only ever be two cars at speed at any one time as there are no break runs within either half, only between them. So with god timing one car will release from the top of the lift the moment the one in front clears the first break run, but there is no way it can go before that moment. The tighter they can get this timing the better the throughput will be.

Well one thing we know for certain is that CoS and The Boiler House will no longer be in The Black Hole tent for Scarefest. I wonder if they will be relocated on park or back into that field again?

EDIT: Save me from double posting, here is a quote from Gerstlauer:

Another unique feature of the ride is the updated restraints. This will be Gerstlauer’s first eight-passenger Euro-Fighter car to feature lap bars. “Our lap bars worked extremely well 2011’s ‘Dare Devil Dive’ Euro-Fighter and we expect them to be a great fit on ’Iron Shark’”,

A Eurofighter being built in Texas is to feature lap bars on Eurofighter cars, so is there any reason why SW7 wouldn't too?