THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

I think that everyone should just chill! I'm sure that the Swarm will have more ride effects than anything else at Thorpe. If they last beyond the summer season is a totally different matter, but I'm very confident, regardless what kinda aircraft this is, that they will pull it off.

I think that everyone should just chill! I'm sure that the Swarm will have more ride effects than anything else at Thorpe.

Not particularly difficult really is it ;)But yes, hopefully they will pull it all off and Merlin will have a much better viewpoint on ensuring that effects are working for the majority... Let's not forget people that if effects break it is not as easy as just repairing it overnight... I sense people just expect things to be automatically fixed, but even Disney can't make EVERYTHING work 100% of the time (Disco Yeti)...

The Airbus A340 is a beauty!A cargo aircraft, would have been something like this, although the Airbus series is unknown, would have been a smaller version, perhaps the -200. The wings are clearly modified by Merlin studios to fit the ride, removing the wing flaps.As it's not a whole plane, it would have been bought scrap. Might have been a cargo plane might not have been, as it would look the same once its stripped out anyway. Generally the seats are reused because the 300 series still fly. Enough about the plane, lets bask in the SWARMS spotlight!Posted ImagePosted ImageStill loving the picture above :(

It's certainly not an Airbus A340. Speaking as a trained pilot and RAF educated aviator (makes me sound all intellectual ahaha), I can tell you now, the general electric engines on the wing are far too large for the A340. The aircraft has relatively small engines that are not overly powerful. These engines are beasts. Also in the picture of the themeing, the outboard engine is not really there on any aircraft, the wing, if a real wing at all, is from a twin engined aircraft. I doubt if the wing is authentic at all, however, as it is certainly attached to an artificial body. The engines will most likely be a casing with everything bar the front fan removed; they're very expensive to buy, although a good way to tell, will be if the engines turn in the wind. The front blades will naturally spin with even a mild breeze, so look out for that one. If not, they've been adapted and are incomplete.The rear of the aircraft is, however, very real. I suspect sourced as a fuselage alone, it would make sense as engines are always stripped immediately from an aircraft, and often the wings too. It's certainly a Boeing 727/737/757 or an Airbus A310, passenger variant. When I see it in real life, I'll let you know.EDIT: Most definitely a Boeing 737.Also, Swarm looks amazing, woo, wow yay!....

Being an ex RAF pilot myself, (and current commercial pilot), quite frankly, I could not give a rat's arse whether it is an Airbus or a Boeing, it looks tremendous. I was expecting a plastic aeroplane replica for goodness sake! Lets just hope we get some nice effects to go with it!

So after a long time of searching for the logo on the side of the plane, I finally found it!IMAGEwe can find the source here:http://www.ge.com/index.html

I could have told you this, my camera had that logo :(

If that's going to Thorpe with the pumps on that setting, we are going to get drenched. :P

Depends where it's placed, can't wait to see it with the ride though!

Being an ex RAF pilot myself, (and current commercial pilot), quite frankly, I could not give a rat's arse whether it is an Airbus or a Boeing, it looks tremendous. I was expecting a plastic aeroplane replica for goodness sake! Lets just hope we get some nice effects to go with it!

Absolutely!

I think I know a certain effect that will be used on a certain Thorpe Park ride. (Hint, Hint, I can't believe I found this, look at the description).

Test video produced for Taylor North West to demonstrate a pump system for a future ride at Thorpe Park.JAMMYD777
That looks amazing! Great Find

The station themeing seems to be coming along nicely! The only thing that I'm slightly disappointed about with this project is just how short the actual ride experience is. We're looking at Inferno's length here if you disregard it's pre-lift section. I'd much rather the ride be short and allow for the whole experience to be complete though, it really is looking to be very exciting! :(

I would imagine the water-splash effect will be going on the very low turn over water leading into the third inversion. Judging from the testing video of it, I would say there are still quite a few tweaks to be made with timings and pressure of the jets, once that's finished, I'm sure it'll look as good as Raptor's and Manta's.

Speaking as a trained pilot and RAF educated aviator (makes me sound all intellectual ahaha)

So to put it simply, what you mean to say is 'I've flows a Grob Tutor with the Air Cadets a couple of times and got a special certificate with my name on it'? :(:D. Or are you genuinely a qualified pitot? :)Also, This project is looking brilliant so far, It's not even nearly complete yet, but it's already starting to make my mouth water :P

It's certainly not an Airbus A340. Speaking as a trained pilot and RAF educated aviator (makes me sound all intellectual ahaha), I can tell you now, the general electric engines on the wing are far too large for the A340. The aircraft has relatively small engines that are not overly powerful. These engines are beasts. Also in the picture of the themeing, the outboard engine is not really there on any aircraft, the wing, if a real wing at all, is from a twin engined aircraft. I doubt if the wing is authentic at all, however, as it is certainly attached to an artificial body. The engines will most likely be a casing with everything bar the front fan removed; they're very expensive to buy, although a good way to tell, will be if the engines turn in the wind. The front blades will naturally spin with even a mild breeze, so look out for that one. If not, they've been adapted and are incomplete.The rear of the aircraft is, however, very real. I suspect sourced as a fuselage alone, it would make sense as engines are always stripped immediately from an aircraft, and often the wings too. It's certainly a Boeing 727/737/757 or an Airbus A310, passenger variant. When I see it in real life, I'll let you know.EDIT: Most definitely a Boeing 737.Also, Swarm looks amazing, woo, wow yay!....

Sorry to bring the plane up again, this makes me sound like I was talking rubbish.<rant>Hello there pilot, may I ask, what series of the 737 has 4 engines? I can assure you it is not a 737 unless it's the wings and engines of two different aircraft's... OF WHICH you did say, which is fair enough, if that's what you meant.With that assumption how can you tell me it's a Boeing 737 after saying the Wings and/or Engines are sourced elsewhere? (Seeing as there is no other parts of the plane visible.) Which is why I suggested it was a Airbus A340, basing that entirely on the Wing and Engine layout, and the wing tips (of which the 737 doesn't sport).As I said before the knowledge was from a brake-rider/push back driver, whom works with them everyday. (Colleagues also suggested it was a A340)I don't see how you can make such a detailed estimation as you are only guessing like the rest of us.One more thing, I quote "the general electric engines on the wing are far too large for the A340", have you seen the size of the engines on the A340? Same size if not bigger.</rant>Other than that, I agree with what you said.Everyone forgive me for mentioning this again

Woah, woah! It's like Coaster Force up in here!Nobody gives a rat's arse what plane it is - it's a bloody plane! When have we seen one of those at Thorpe? In England? On any rollercoaster? The only thing that looks real to me are the engine nacelles, and there's no way you can determine which make/model/year/amount of times used/whatever-other-variables-we're-trying-to-pin-down just by a couple of defunct plane engines.The fuselage is clearly fake, and the wing is too - no plane with four engines has the second one that far out on the wing.But who really cares? I'm content we've got the plane, considering not two months ago we barely had any track. Now shut up and sit tight for the arrival of the guaranteed-to-be-amazing trains and further themeing.