THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

The ride itself certainly has the biggest impact though. By your logic Josh (although I see what you're getting at, and agree with you), Saw should seem as intimidating as this, and it just doesn't :P

That is true; didn't think of that actually. Though I guess where Swarm is out on the open, and has a much bigger lift hill (as in length, not just height), that will probably going to cause a lot more fear. :P

What I love about this ride is that, even in it's most fundamental state, it's already passed the interaction test. B&M and Thorpe (and Gardaland, for the matter) know the opportunities that lie in wake for Wing-Riders and the potential proximity to their supports. As Mark said earlier in this topic, there's a near miss for the word "Go" - as soon as the train disembarks the lift hill, the right side will have a foot-chopper support. Further on in the circuit, there's a foot-chopper for both sides in the Zero-G roll; one for the right side in the inclined loop, which is sustained all the way through the helix. The corkscrew should have awesome foot-choppers on it as well, and all because the train protrudes so far out at the sides.For illustration of my point, look at the first inversion on Raptor, and how the support acts as a foot-chopper:Posted ImageSecond inversion is similar:Posted ImageAnd now the helix. Observe how the supports double-up as foot-choppers:Posted ImageAnd that's just a few examples of where the supports could play a far more important role in the ride experience than one might assume!

there's a near miss for the word "Go" - as soon as the train disembarks the lift hill, the right side will have a foot-chopper support.

Yeah, although at 3mph that wont really be a shocker! :P I must admit, I am not a fan of using the rollercoaster supports as a near miss event. That seems to be how a lot of American coasters do it, but I think it is far more effective with terrain and theming like on Nemesis.

Yeah, although at 3mph that wont really be a shocker! :P

Considering how heavy the trains are and how quickly they pick up speed, I would put a lot on the line to say that near miss element will be more effective then you suggest. I kind of get where you are coming from in terms of preferring terrain to height but.. Swarm will have both.

I must admit, I am not a fan of using the rollercoaster supports as a near miss event. That seems to be how a lot of American coasters do it, but I think it is far more effective with terrain and theming like on Nemesis.

To further what Mark said, I don't see what's so "American" about using supports as near-miss elements. Gardaland's Raptor is the only other B&M Wing-Rider in existence and can therefore be the only real comparison for what the near-miss supports be will like (being the Arrow Dynamics and Intamin coasters position there riders above and to the sides of the track, whereas as B&M positions them lower). And don't forget, The Swarm will also have a mint's worth pumped into the themeing department so hopefully the combination of both will be very effective. Either way, we get interaction so I'm not complaining! :P

The more I look from that angle, the more I struggle to imagine the plane in there. On the plans it looked like there would be much more space between the bottom of the drop and the end of the entrance bridge. Perhaps it's just the angle; I'll check it out tomorrow but right now I'm struggling.