THE SWARM: Construction Updates

Marc

Yeah I saw that earlier Adam. :mellow: Can't wait for themeing to arrive, but I'd imagine it won't be until at least the rest of the track is completed. I'm still gagging for the trains' myself. I can't wait to see what Thorpe have done to make them as intimidating as possible (ignoring of course, the fact that their size alone is very intimidating).

Hope he's right! All we need now are a fuselage, and some wings :mellow:

As far as I remember, I do not think that we are getting much fuselage, I think we are only getting minute bits of fuselage like shards of metal to make it look like it really has been snapped off of a commercial jet. It has been a while though since I've seen the plans.

@ Sidders, almost all the supports are now up I believe - hence the halt to track work. Not sure why the change was made from support-track-support-track to all the supports then all the track, but that seems to be what's happened.

There are probably more important factors in this decision but could Thorpe have deliberately pushed for these parts to be completed as soon as possible, even if it meant many of the other supports hadn't been put up yet? I mean, from what those who have seen it first hand have been saying, it's possibly the best advertisement for the ride that the park could hope for, direct to their target audience. And we already know how proud Thorpe are of the 'THORPE PARK inversion'...Also, what exactly is this special promotion that's supposed to be happening tomorrow? :mellow:

Now just remembering, is anybody goin to be at thorpe tommorrow, since they are supposed to do a special promotion for THE SWARM?

I'm not going tomorrow, but out of curiosity, where did you hear this idea of special promotion for Swarm? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so this is the first I've heard of it.Would be nice if something haven't, seeinghow Fright Nights has left the promotion area for Swarm dead...

A person who works at thorpe park, told a friend that there should be a special promotion on the swarm. I forgot which forum it was placed on, but the person who works at thorpe also said that most of the track should've been up by november, as it is. That backs it up.

I'm not saying that they are wrong or that there's definitely not going to be a 'special promotion' for the Swarm tomorrow but... Even I could have guessed that most of the track should have been up by November. :mellow:

I didn't see much other than some concrete blocks in place either side of the first drop. Maybe there for the plane wings? I took a picture but my SD card broke halfway through the day so I wont be able to post it. You can get a decent view of it from the Depth Charge queue though.

Cheers for linking that. Nice to see our first piece of interaction in the form of the heartline headchopper support! Interesting to note that support is bent to avoid the station structure, it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at it because it's horribly uneven and asymmetrical :mellow:Posted Image^ This picture really gives a sense of how small the area is once all the steel is in. Imagining the inclined loop up to that top support on the right and then the corkscrew going through it looks a bit messy in my mind's eye, but I'm sure it'll look good once it's done. Interesting to look at the support which is due to eventually be enclosed in the tower (not really visible in the above but is in others)- they've inconsiderately left some junk in front of it on the ground so we can't see if anything is happening.

Cheers for linking that. Nice to see our first piece of interaction in the form of the heartline headchopper support! Interesting to note that support is bent to avoid the station structure, it makes me feel uncomfortable looking at it because it's horribly uneven and asymmetrical ;)

Oh B&M and your wonderful ways. :mellow:

I'm still gagging for the trains' myself. I can't wait to see what Thorpe have done to make them as intimidating as possible (ignoring of course, the fact that their size alone is very intimidating).

Well we have pretty much already seen them in the promotional graphics. They are the same as Raptor's, and why not as they fit in with this theme very nicely. So that is what I am expecting/hoping for.Thanks for the photos guys. A forest of supports! Looks fab, although I cant work out which support is what at the moment apart from the inline twist and the tall one on the right for the overbanked turn.And I just realised, I think this may be the first ride installation I have seen since Inferno, where there have so far been no negative comments! We normally have something to complain about! But there is still a long way to go, so lets see. :mellow:

And I just realised, I think this may be the first ride installation I have seen since Inferno, where there have so far been no negative comments! We normally have something to complain about! But there is still a long way to go, so lets see. ;)

Did you not see the complaints about the fake turret and the position of the tank? :mellow:

Now all the supports are in I'm hoping they'll crack on with track installation and we'll get some decent eye candy by the last day of the season. The dev diary seems to have gone remarkably quiet of late, I hope they step it up during the closed season or there's a high likelihood I'll die of suspense. Lucky for me Skyrim comes out a few days after the season ends, I'll need everything possible to keep my mind off this :mellow:

No-one's positive about trims ;)And B&M trims can just be as ride killing as some of Intamin's, and some of Intamin's can be just as erm... not as working as B&Ms ones (iSpeed being a good example here, didn't affect the ride at all, on the other side, Silver Star a few years back was quite frankly terrible because of the trim being on so high).Probably beause of the way in which Intamin use magnetic fins over the more mechanical ones that B&M use, but it's all dependent on how much they effect the ride, as of course each ride is different.At least this one can be turned down (or up if need be), magnetic ones can't, which is a main issue for rides like Thirteen.Blab over, the ride area looks so small and compact. Hopefully means a good atmosphere for non-riders and riders alike. Merlin are indeed learning well and are definitely seeming to go back to those early 90s Tussauds days for ride inspiration.

At least this one can be turned down (or up if need be), magnetic ones can't, which is a main issue for rides like Thirteen.

I thought Thirteen had its brakes changed from Magnetic to Mechanical a few months after it opened so they could fully load the trains again?

You mean the ones on the first drop?Those were added on after the ride opened; I think they are magnetic even though each train seems to brake differently. They certainly look like magnets, can kinda of see them in this picture.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluestripeleader/4718477790/#/photos/bluestripeleader/4718477790/lightbox/Surprisingly a hard thing to get pictures of that drop.

And I just realised, I think this may be the first ride installation I have seen since Inferno, where there have so far been no negative comments! We normally have something to complain about! But there is still a long way to go, so lets see. :mellow:

As I wrote in my blog"And yet I can still call the way the’ve promoted ‘The Swarm’ exceptional and that the park hasn’t hit a duff note on the ride at all. If I was to be a hater, I’d say Swarm is too short, its got trims, it’s a dull colour, the tank is in the wrong place and it has a fake turret, none of the theming will appear or work after its first season and that the actors aren’t out long enough."More then enough criticism to get off on.