Chessington 2013

What would you like us to say about your post Will. What are you basing your thoughts on, where do you get the idea that the Runaway Train is saying buh bye and a major new ride is coming?

I had a feeling that a new major ride would come around 2014/2015 because it had been 10 years since the last one (Dragon's Fury) and I thought that if anything would be happening, it would be in those two years.

Chessington have decided to call their new ride, Zufari: Ride Into Africa and they have mentioned that Africa was a new themed area. I have a feeling that they will expand upon the Africa theme by combining the Forbidden Kingdom and Mexicana under that theme, just like Mystic East and Wild Asia kinda fit under the Asia theme.

A close friend of mine was working at the park a few years back, when they was told by management that they plan to one-by-one, update each of the existing themed areas, as well as add new ones. Whether this actually happens, obviously can change.

Update: As for the Runaway Train, if they did plan on installing a new major ride, I could see the Runaway Train going. Just a thought.

Edited by Will

The next big addition should arrive in 2016, roughly when they said the next physical ride should appear at Chessington? Would be nice if we got some epicly quiet coaster which the locals would love as much as the people riding it.

Yeah, I hope so....

I think around that time, we should get something new.

Chessington have decided to call their new ride, Zufari: Ride Into Africa and they have mentioned that Africa was a new themed area. I have a feeling that they will expand upon the Africa theme by combining the Forbidden Kingdom and Mexicana under that theme, just like Mystic East and Wild Asia kinda fit under the Asia theme.

You see, I was expecting something similar (well, the current Africa land being expanded into Forbidden Knigdom at least), and joining with Zufari to create a large African land. However, on Chessington's website, they class 'Zufari' as its own land. Will be interesting to see how the lands develop over the next few years though.

As for the next major investment, 2016 looks likely. But then, that's what's rumoured for AT's next major development, and even Thorpe's. I dunno how exactly costs work at Merlin, but having 3 huge investments into those 3 parks (don't have a clue when Lego's is - isn't the next one 2014?), surely 2016 is going to be one expensive year for them..?

Whenever Chessie's net major investment is though, I just hope we see something good added in the years between them..

I apologise but for some reason, but I'm very desperate to have a new rollercoaster installed at Chessie. Benin and I share the same want for the family-launched coaster (similar to Cheetah Hunt), which I rode in Oct 2012 and it was amazing. It would go down fantastically at CWoAR. It wouldn't have to be high and it contains one inline twist which isn't scary for the young'uns.

If it came anywhere between 2014-2016, I'd be very happy. I think we could use one by the Wild Asia/Mystic East / South side of the park where the Glade is between Wild Asia and Mystic East. The station and queue line could go there and the ride could under and over and around the park.

I apologise but for some reason, but I'm very desperate to have a new rollercoaster installed at Chessie. Benin and I share the same want for the family-launched coaster (similar to Cheetah Hunt), which I rode in Oct 2012 and it was amazing. It would go down fantastically at CWoAR. It wouldn't have to be high and it contains one inline twist which isn't scary for the young'uns.

If it came anywhere between 2014-2016, I'd be very happy. I think we could use one by the Wild Asia/Mystic East / South side of the park where the Glade is between Wild Asia and Mystic East. The station and queue line could go there and the ride could under and over and around the park.

An inline twist for a lot of younger ones would be a make or break as to whether they want to ride it, and may affect height restrictions. You can still make a successful ride which appeals to a broad range without it requiring a inversion.

An inline twist for a lot of younger ones would be a make or break as to whether they want to ride it, and may affect height restrictions. You can still make a successful ride which appeals to a broad range without it requiring a inversion.

I went on Cheetah Hunt twice and I saw lots of kids going on it and the height restrictions is 48 inches which is quite low and equates to 1.2 metres and is the same as Dragon's Fury.

Inline twist or no inline twist, a family-launched coaster like or similar to Cheetah Hunt would go down great.

I went on Cheetah Hunt twice and I saw lots of kids going on it and the height restrictions is 48 inches which is quite low and equates to 1.2 metres and is the same as Dragon's Fury.

Inline twist or no inline twist, a family-launched coaster like or similar to Cheetah Hunt would go down great.

US and UK have different systems though. Storm Runner is the same type of coaster as Stealth, goes upside down and still has a lower height restriction. If Cheetah Hunt was in a Merlin park, they would inevitable give it a 1.4m restriction. If they were going to go down the inverting coaster route, I'd prefer a B&M flyer... it could satisfy those who want something a bit more thrilling but also not be too intense for those wanting to try their first 'big' coaster. In this scenario though, a ride like Manta (the Mack, not the B&M) makes a lot more sense.

US and UK have different systems though. Storm Runner is the same type of coaster as Stealth, goes upside down and still has a lower height restriction. If Cheetah Hunt was in a Merlin park, they would inevitable give it a 1.4m restriction. If they were going to go down the inverting coaster route, I'd prefer a B&M flyer... it could satisfy those who want something a bit more thrilling but also not be too intense for those wanting to try their first 'big' coaster. In this scenario though, a ride like Manta (the Mack, not the B&M) makes a lot more sense.

So if Chessie go down the inverting coaster route, you'd like a Flyer?

I'd like a flyer too but I can realistically see them installing something like the Mack Manta. I went on the B&M Manta and it was very enjoyable, so I'm personally happy with either.

I'm not that fussy but ideally, I'd like something that has good throughput, it's exciting and family-thrilling (appealing to both) and it's themed reasonably well, I'm fine.

Edited by Will

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to Zufari, I think I remember some people expressing concerns at there only being 3 different animals mentioned on the plans. I noticed in the press release about the giraffes arriving that it says this:

Over the next few weeks, the four giraffes will be joined by greater flamingos, blesbok, Nile lechwe, Grevy’s zebra and many more amazing animals. Three white rhinos are already settling in after arriving from Europe just before Christmas.

So, there will also be antelope and zebras featuring in Zufari, as well as "more". Woo!

And then of course, there's also the usual marketing hype:

As the only safari experience inside the M25 and the only theme park attraction of its kind, ZUFARI: Ride into Africa! will allow people to get an authentic taste of Africa without having to venture far from the big city.”

"The only theme park attraction of its kind" you say? Hmmmm...