Cedar Point

Just looking through the Other Parks & Attractions sub-forum and realised Cedar Point doesn't have a topic, surely it deserves one as America's roller coast, eh!? ;) Also the fact that with the news of their 2013 rollercoaster; I can imagine there will be a lot of discussion about the place over this years closed season and the coming months when we discover more about their major 2013 project.

Anyway, they confirmed this news today on Twitter!

Something big is happening. Disaster Transport & Space Spiral will be dismantled this season to make space for @!!$!(*%% Stay tuned 4 more!

So that's pretty much what we knew already, should be interesting when more details are announced about that possible B&M Wing Rider! :D And I wonder if that random spam of symbols will actually have any relevance to the ride or if it's just a filler to just make people think something new is on the way... Hmm. :P

EDIT: The closing date for Disaster Transport has been set for July 29th.

Edited by Luke_A

It's like a bigger version of Thorpe, but with better Intamins and worse B&Ms...

That basically describes it... TTD, Wicked Twister and Maverick are the 3 best coasters, the rest are just there really... Magnum probs the only other one worth blabbing on about...

• 5 weeks later...

Now that it's all official, Cedar Point have released the page for Gate Keeper on there website. http://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper

It's a good site with both the onride and offride povs, a webcam of the site to watch the construction, the renderings, news and all the teechnical data. Due to the MCBR it will have three 32 seater trains meaning a theoretical throughput of 1710 pph. Overall looks like a solid ride.

and no theming. Surprise surprise!

Well, naturally. Most large American parks build their coaster to big to theme properly, and so the lucky ones who see a bit more money splashed in the ride design and marketing department might see a certain style rather than an actual theme. Cedar has loads of examples of this - Maverick, Raptor and now GateKeeper.

Yeah, Raptor is styled. Styled after a prehistoric bird thing that picks you up and flies you around a bit, so yes, generic because Talon, Hydra, Griffon, SheiKra, and Kraken (among others) do the same sort of thing. And I don't know why but Maverick doesn't appear to go all the way to theme for me.

Point is, GateKeeper is styled as a sort of protector of the park, as in, it's signature purpose is to provide an enormous entrance gate feature and will be styled to a creature that flies over the entrance in order to achieve this. I never took it that a coaster this big was ever going to see all the way to theme.

I'm still lost tbh...

Raptor has little to no theming or styling to link it into anything really... It's station and queue are atypically generic American things really... Very much a case of you could pick it up and put it into a random allocated amusement park (say any other Cedar Fair or Six Flags park) and you wouldn't need to change anything...

Griffon and SheiKra are both themed, both rather nicely I might add, and fit into their areas well... Kraken's station and queue is also nicely themed...

Maverick's theme is mainly in the surrounding area (rather than just the ride, although CP cheated as the queue/station building already existed), but it gives it an actual embedded feeling, rather than the plonked emotions of nearly every other ride there...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...