Wicker Man

EC!

Tomahawk at PortAventura is a nice family woodie (since they reprofiled the track and replaced the trains) - I think this could still be a fun ride, even if it won't be world class. Bear in mind Alton are fighting against a lot of restrictions other parks don't have to do with height and noise, they couldn't build something like Wodan.

7 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

thats where parks like Efteling and Europa Park get it right. I'd be astounded if this beats Wodan.

Why doe it have beat Wodan though?  Why can't it be a fun ride in its own right with no comparisons to other coasters 18 months before it opens...

6 hours ago, TPSou said:

Tomahawk at PortAventura is a nice family woodie (since they reprofiled the track and replaced the trains) - I think this could still be a fun ride, even if it won't be world class. Bear in mind Alton are fighting against a lot of restrictions other parks don't have to do with height and noise, they couldn't build something like Wodan.

The 'Alton is fighting against lots of restrictions' argument fails when they've managed to build the likes of Nemesis under the same restrictions. 

7 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Sadly once again Merlin have cocked up and know nothing on hitting gold.

thats where parks like Efteling and Europa Park get it right. I'd be astounded if this beats Wodan.

It could be bloody fantastic Matt, how can we you make such a prediction before a single piece of wood has been built. A no limits recreation cannot give you the sensation of the ride, the force, the air time, the theming, how its going to physically look in the park. Rides like Tomahawk at PortAventura or Rustchebanan at Tivoli Gardens don't look up to much but are respective highlights of their parks.

The 'Alton is fighting against lots of restrictions' argument fails when they've managed to build the likes of Nemesis under the same restrictions. 

Not if we're comparing it to other coasters. People hoping for something fast and loud might be disappointed. Maybe they'll be able to be as clever as they were with Nemmy, but they haven't been since that was built.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, TPSou said:

Not if we're comparing it to other coasters. People hoping for something fast and loud might be disappointed. Maybe they'll be able to be as clever as they were with Nemmy, but they haven't been since that was built.

But they did literally the exact same thing with the Smiler

But they did literally the exact same thing with the Smiler

I don't think so, Nemesis is a world class ride from beginning to end, I think Smiler suffers from the lack of a proper drop, never really builds up any speed and only really has an exciting airtime Hill and not much else going for it. To me Smiler is an example of how the restrictions can really hurt them, same with Thirteen and Rita.

2 minutes ago, TPSou said:

I don't think so, Nemesis is a world class ride from beginning to end, I think Smiler suffers from the lack of a proper drop, never really builds up any speed and only really has an exciting airtime Hill and not much else going for it. To me Smiler is an example of how the restrictions can really hurt them, same with Thirteen and Rita.

I'm talking about digging a pit for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Cian. I would've much rathered a more thrilling coaster with plenty of airtime than this which looks like a standard and fairly short woodie.

The question is: What does this ride have to give it the Secret Weapon title? I can't think off the top of my head what this ride will have to earn that title.

I just think that we've got to keep a close eye on mystic Timbers opening at Kings Island. Surely whatever is in the shed will hint towards SW8's world's first element (if there is one) or at least it will be a good way of showing what GCI can do. 

If MT has a track drop or an inversion in the shed then we'll know that GCI have clearly progressed and they may be capable to do more advanced things with their coasters. 

Surely Mystic Timbers will hint on why SW8 is an SW?

Just now, Project LC said:

The inside section of sw8 is tiny and on the updated plans was made smaller. I suspect that the inside will contain nothing but maintenance and the station. The under pass of the station seems to be purely for space constraint reasons.

Yes but the rest of the track could easily feature a world's first element hat doesn't have to be indoors.  I was just saying that whatever the 'inside' element is on MT could hint the current capabilities of GCI and therefore hint the element on SW8 which makes it stand out (if there is one)!

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

They probably have to let the ground dry out, or maybe they're just tight fisted and originally intended to start the work next year and the announcement was just so they could shut the flume 18 months early and save some wonga.

I really hate the way it has just been sat there for an entire season collecting dust, did it have a huge maintenance issue or could it have potentially been open this year and then closed after?

Either way, it's nothing short of pathetic the way it has just been left to rot.

Plans stated that work was due to start on the site in September, and the coaster track was due to be completed by late 2017.

It's more than possible that they decided to change the start date a bit, maybe due to logistics, maybe due to a problem with a contractor, maybe a change of plan to the time scale.  There's so many potential reasons, many of which would be no cause for concern! :)

One reason I've read is because they have to move the fish for a while as the groundworks will cause vibrations that'll effect them. I have a pile of salt if anyone would like a pinch.

It's well known that Flume could have stayed open this year but they decided to close it because of budgets and could then use SW8 as the excuse.

Could well be due to the access of the site, given its central location.

Having visited this weekend nothing notable has really happened of note but there's still time. I'm sure Towers know they need to make this acceptable as they're also competing with Blackpool's mammoth now too.

Given the budgets cuts, it was imminent the flume would be derelict all season.