Wicker Man

EC!

12 hours ago, James Allgood said:

I predict SW8 will open before WC16...

Double the number, double the wait.

12 hours ago, Mitchada04 said:

Planning to have it complete by December 17 as well for 18 opening, maybe they've learnt! Might open in March 2018 :o

Depends what they mean by complete. Presuming track completion but that still needs to be tested per train etc.

(Tries to find my old testing time app that I made for the Smiler three years ago.)

So, I just made this quick edit of the ride building with its materials. Whilst this drawing is probably useless, it certainly doesn't scream Katanga Canyon or Mutiny Bay. I also added Maple, Cherry and Hornbeam trees as they are common on the plans.

why does something about this make me think of the enchanted village? I'm not the best at the park's geography but it isn't that far away, is it? I'd be happy with that theme.

(Note that the grass is way too high and not graded enough but Picsart has its limits!) 

image.png

6 minutes ago, ThemeParkCrafte said:

What if Katanga canyon and mutiny bay themes are combined. There is treasure in some african buildings that the pirates will be  trying to find. Maybe it will be a trap and you have to escape.

And then... BBQ Smokehouse ;)

Which annoyingly in the recent plans they seem to have got rid of for queues! Unless it's not mentioned in the main plan.

smokehouse.PNG

Nice to see this might go ahead, a shame it's not RMC, thought all the gimmicks were just waiting for Merlin to make a call. Too bad, the one time I wanted the gimmick!

In regards to loosing the flume, for me it was a childhood fave and I'll miss it being there, but it did hog up tons of space and was no Loggers (SAVE LOGGERS)!

Whatever happened to the plans of an outside flume extension/lift/drop/splashdown at Charlie? That would make a welcome return addition one day. I can only assume expense and being so near to 'coaster corner' haulted those plans.

Regardless, this will be awsome to see going up next year and looking forward to see what they plan with the Flume station (CONCEPT ART PLEASE), fingers crossed these two years are also enough to recover, so they can open ALL of their rides again..

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

That mock up makes SW8 look like a rather nice garden centre :crazy:

As coaster fans grow older it's a strong theme. When I go for a day out, sure I want thrill rides, but I can't stop thinking about how to make best use of my suburban plot. I want a ride that inverts and gives me information on good bedding plants for a chalky soil.

I can reveal the theme music and logo:

I am so excited about this ride with (a little bird tells me) the name Ground Force.

CGI recreations of Charlie Dimmock, Alan Titchmarsh and the whole team will loom over the riders in the drop tunnel, dispensing handy advice from a 14 hour loop.

Bring it on!

As coaster fans grow older it's a strong theme. When I go for a day out, sure I want thrill rides, but I can't stop thinking about how to make best use of my suburban plot. I want a ride that inverts and gives me information on good bedding plants for a chalky soil.

I can reveal the theme music and logo:

I am so excited about this ride with (a little bird tells me) the name Ground Force.

CGI recreations of Charlie Dimmock, Alan Titchmarsh and the whole team will loom over the riders in the drop tunnel, dispensing handy advice from a 14 hour loop.

Bring it on!

I honestly would not be surprised for SW8 to be sponsored by Cuprinol if it is a woodie.

Ok, I've been looking at the plans for tree planting and this stood out: 2 trees planted in the building and almost on the track. I assume they would be planted on the roof but still they look very unusual. Am I being very stupid or is there an explanation for these trees?

Here's a mock up... 

image.png

6 hours ago, pluk said:

These plans have been out 24 hours and still no no limits recreation has hit the forums? I'm disappointed in you all.

I saw a picture of one whilst browsing the sw8 thread on another forum, think it was towersstreet

also noticed the reaction to this coaster is much more negative on there than here, I'm personally quite excited and I've never been keen on getting a woodie over a steel coaster but it looks fun 

yes, the original model was made by BigAl I believe

A lot of the towers people are saying how underwhelming it appears. 

ckerTqa.jpg

To be fair, I can understand their concern, however the banking is extremely impressive and there are some clear pops of (potential) airtime. The inversion is displayed as an overbank which could be some great fun, although the long straight but does look... awkward. It really does question what could go there. It should go without saying that (from my knowledge) towers can still alter this a fair bit, as seen with Smiler's plans, so we may not be looking at even a rough final product.

That image is from a while ago and the creator was pretty much guessing heights. Hence why the lift hill looks so odd. I'm sure someone is working on a more upto date version. 

I can understand the negative reaction. My concern is it will be a bit like the swarm with a good layout and good theming but comes across as too short. Especially if that lift hill is launched.

1 hour ago, TallGuyDom said:

To early to start discussing a potential IP?

The question of if this'll even have an IP is more on my mind.  You only have to look at how strong a brand Smiler is to see that Merlin (or, Towers at least) can create a good in house IP.  However, given how reliant Merlin have been on IPs lately, and that they've only made two non-external IP attractions in the UK since Smiler opened (Galactica and Pandamonium), it's hard to say they won't be tempted to go for one...

Thing is though I think they will keep it original because I'm sure they can obviously see that it was popular in both Smiler and Galactica's cases, as both have been really well received by the public. I think Thorpe relies on IP based attractions more heavily then Alton, atleast in recent years anyway so I have faith that Alton will create another original theme again.