Summer Nights

MarkC

I can back this up with many factors:

• Reliably of rides - they are either all working or you have may out of action
  • Queues - either non or very long
  • Staff - Either very friendly or miserable and want to go home
  • Audio - Sometimes they get it working ok, other times it doesn't work at all
  • Refill drinks - Either the mix is right or wrong
  • Effects on rides - Work sometimes, and not at other times
  • Attitude of guests - Either very family/friendly or a car crash

What I am getting at is you can have one visit and it can be brilliant, you enjoy yourself, get on loads of rides and it is something you will remember and want to come back again and again, on other trips you have a completely different experience

But how is that different to other theme parks such as Blackpool Pleasure Beach or Alton Towers?

I can back this up with many factors:

• Reliably of rides - they are either all working or you have may out of action
  • Queues - either non or very long
  • Staff - Either very friendly or miserable and want to go home
  • Audio - Sometimes they get it working ok, other times it doesn't work at all
  • Refill drinks - Either the mix is right or wrong
  • Effects on rides - Work sometimes, and not at other times
  • Attitude of guests - Either very family/friendly or a car crash

What I am getting at is you can have one visit and it can be brilliant, you enjoy yourself, get on loads of rides and it is something you will remember and want to come back again and again, on other trips you have a completely different experience

But that's the same with pretty much all other theme parks... (except maybe Europa Park, who seem to be only top notch all the time)

Only time rides seemed to be down tonight was during that one hour of heavy rain when I got Stuck on Saw The Ride. But the amount of people there about (300 and something) was brilliant longest Queue was 5 Mins and can I just say well worth the Extra £5 plus since it rained I can go back next week Summer Riding for free :D

It wasn't an overall disappointing event (indeed, you can't be disappointed by walk-on coasters for £5, if the weather had been the same as during the day, I probably would have stayed longer and maybe (MAYBE) ridden Saw/Colossus again (but doubtful))... BUT from an organisational standpoint the beginning was a shambles...

I was disappointed by the lack of organisation, that there was a 90 minute period of doing nothing between (we managed to grab a sandwich from Coffee Shack before it closed, but Glass House not doing food till the ERT started was silly, could've kept it open for Summer Nights/Crash Pad guests) and then when we were let in at 7 we weren't given wristbands and I don't think any of the rides were actually open at that time, as we spent 30 minutes looking for something open after giving up on Swarm, failing on Fish and Storm Surge and settling for X...

If the rides weren't gonna be open they could've said upon entry or in the Dome or just not let us in at all until such time until the majority of planned rides were available...

Lack of shops open was a burden, people could've got ponchos or sweets or whatever, even if they just had a few kiosks open in the Dome would've helped matters (as well as other food options, Stealth Diner and Glass House being the only two options isn't great)...

Majority of people were clearly Crash Pad guests, so there's an issue with marketing... You know something's wrong when you have a person shouting to people on a megaphone as you exit that you can come back in for 3 hours for £5, so that needs to be looked at as well...

As an aside, why did Thorpe go to all this trouble for a photoshoot, then NOT have the ice cream stuff? I expected in during park hours, but all there was was a lonely snowman, there wasn't anything set up for the ERT stuff either, so I'm guessing they just didn't bother? Poor show...

However, to the Inferno operator playing 'Singing in the Rain', I applaud you...

tl;dr - Good idea, poorly executed... Just like most Merlin ideas...

To be fair the event is advertised as:

Gates open at 7pm, exclusive ride time between 7.30pm and 10.30pm

On the friday all the queue boards said "coming soon" next to the rides which were going to open, there wasnt much confusion people just were waiting around the rides they wanted to ride first.

On Friday Stealth hotdogs were open along with Bar360, I'm surprised Bar360 wouldnt serve food before the ERT started, seems abit silly seeing as they will have already been serving Crash Pad guests.

I like the idea, id like to see it expanded more with a more family offering aswell, maybe open up Zodiac / Quantum? But judging by how quiet it was on the Friday and I assume the Saturday, unfortunately I cant see it staying past next weekend.

I loved the event last night! Yes the gap between park close and re open was a bit sketchy but this won't happen next week as it's a 7pm close.

We got a great ride count for the 3 hours even with a long delay on Saw. Definitely worth the £5. All of the staff were brilliant and cheerful even in the rain. Especially the staff on Inferno who would turn of the lights in the station with the platformers waving torches to make it like a night club! Loved The Noise playing throughout the park as it gave the feeling of a party atmosphere which is what I wanted.

Credit to the park for also offering a variety of free options to return (either a ticket for next weekend or an open ended ticket) due to the rain which apparently led to the rides shutting down. If anything they were down for 15 minutes at most. Great event and would love to do it again, just a shame that they are struggling to sell tickets.

Ride count was:

Saw- 1.5

Colossus- 2

X- 2

Inferno- 3

Stealth- 3

The Swarm- 6 (1 backwards)

Yesterday Swarm said unavaiable, then they tested it, then they said it would be a while till it opened (at 7:30)...

There were no signs saying rides would open at 7:30 on park, so clarity is needed throughout...

Glass House said kitchen was closed at 6, but would reopen later if we booked a table... Not particularly good if you don't wanna lose time in the 3 hours...

Next week if the park closes at 7 THAT'S going to be fun if it's busy at closing, with lots of people leaving and entering... I don't know how that's going to work effectively... Staff not getting a break either is awkward...

A few flats wouldn't go amiss either... Samurai and Det would also be good calls due to their locations to the coasters...

It'd be a good event if they promoted it more... That simple, but they haven't beyond social media and the posters on park... There is too much focus on instant returns these days though, so if it's dead next weekend I don't think it'll come back...

Which would be a shame...

Credit to the park for also offering a variety of free options to return (either a ticket for next weekend or an open ended ticket) due to the rain which apparently led to the rides shutting down. If anything they were down for 15 minutes at most. Great event and would love to do it again, just a shame that they are struggling to sell tickets.

Thats one thing I find thorpe very good at compared to the other parks is compensating guests (even when it isn't always their fault such as weather), it dont cost the park much / anything but it gives of a great impression IMO.

Am heading down again next Saturday, fingers crossed its abit busier and the weathers good!

Are they only running this event on the two quietest weeks of the summer?

That'll probably be why it's quietest.. they should do it throughout summer as I'm sure the last couple of weeks will be way popular. However, it'll make kicking people out difficult if they continue to close at 6 or whatever the ride close is.

Sounds a mixed bag really, sounds as though the weather could be a big player in the event. The classic "British" summer is fairly unpredictable! I am off this Saturday so will see how it goes down. Was picking up tickets a pain? If there are lots of people picking them up then I can imagine it would be a pain!

Great to hear about this! I went last Saturday and managed to do 15 rides in total -

Swarm x 3

Saw x 6

Colossus x 1

Inferno x 2

Stealth x 1

X x 1

Storm Turd x 1

Was slightly busier that I expected but can't complain at all considering the queue times the park gets during the day - and bloody good value for £15 - staff were really enthusiastic and friendly too - v enthusiastic on Storm Turd where we got wet - only because of the water guns the staff were armed with :lol: