Alton Towers Fireworks

stretchy

I am horrified to see you don't have a fireworks topic for Alton Towers. Consider that rectified.

Anyway I was on park today and when not observing a certain new ride shed components, I took some more fireworks construction pics.

As you enter the park you see the following across the lake.
P1100026.JPG
Notice not only the low lights but also the 3 towers. A zoom shot through the fog at one of the towers.
P1100028.JPG
Scooting round the back here's one of the towers
P1100116.JPG
and another
P1100120.JPG
Zoomie Zoomie
P1100121.JPG
Some lighting
P1100142.JPG
The third tower
P1100144.JPG
Some boxes
P1100146.JPG
lights that don't want to become parents
P1100147.JPG
the lights at the front, must be new as they still have the cellophane on them
P1100035.JPG
And you would think that that was it, but no there is much more to go in.
P1100042.JPG
And a total nerd shot of the gennies
P1100046.jpg
I will leave you with a shot from the cable car (So excuse the washed colours, the plastic is poor to photograph through.
P1100136.JPG

Running over three nights from November 8 until 10 the incredible event promises to be the resort’s biggest and best display ever.

The annual event which is one of the UK’s biggest displays will this year take guests on a journey through some of the resort’s biggest memories, from the original rollercoaster, the Corkscrew right through to the newest ride, The Smiler.

Each night the show will begin at 7pm with a laser show featuring a kaleidoscope of colours projected into the night sky followed by a sparkling showcase of jaw-dropping fireworks.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Thousands-families-flock-Alton-Towers-ultimate/story-20016191-detail/story.html

Will be interesting to see how they do any ride-themed fireworks. Really looking forward to this!

does anyone know what time the fireworks take place, as I (if the smiler is open) I want to book a fast track in advance on my mobile, but want to work out when to get it for as I can imagine it'll be closed while the fireworks are going off?

The fireworks start at 7pm, although it is advisable to take your spot for the show at least an hour before, if you want a good spot with a completely clear view, (the island at the bottom of Towers Street gives a great overall view). The rides in Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land, X-Sector & Adventure Land will all close prior to the show, I think this varies depending on the length of the queue, and the majority won't open until they have performed a safety check of the areas once the fireworks have ended. The rides in the opposite side of the park generally stay open, and are therefore available straight after the fireworks.

Why have I never been before!? Best firework display I have ever seen... The amount of effort put into it seems unreal! Smoke, lasers, crazy amount of lights around the trees and on the towers itself. A really creative display with decent music themed about memories from the park (featuring the corkscrew and the current 5 coasters, as well as finishing off with the smiler), words cannot describe how much I loved it!

On the theme park side of things was very quiet in the day and got busier as the evening came... Got on lots of rides, and seemed reliable except oblivion breaking down and staying closed in the last hour, and the smiler having a few technical difficulties in that time.

I took videos of the fireworks Sat and Sun.

Sat - Warning Sat has a bit of autofocus issue where my camera decided that the smoke was far more interesting than anything else

Sun - Warning my camera was so sad about the end of the season that it misted up gradually through the show.

And a picture I took on Friday that I quite like

P1100245.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just randomly watched that video again. That display really is so well done, the way the firing is reflected in time with the phrasing of the music is spot on, love visualisation of sound like that. The Smiler part especially with the Fake Blood I Think I Like It track, unfortunately it is a bit smoke logged at the time but the way the firing goes across one way with the lyric and back the other way with the beat is great, simple but really effective. The whole thing reminds me a bit of the Star Guitar video, one of my favorites.

Also, I didn't notice it before but the inclusion of 'I'm Falling To Pieces' in The Smiler segment is inspired. That can't be a coincidence, so funny!

• 10 months later...

depends what day... I went friday last year, found the park with most queues (besides the smiler, and sonic) under 10 minutes all morning and lunch, and then increasingly got busier throughout the afternoon, and then queues increased to about an hour in the build up to the fireworks and then people started leaving after, so the last hour or so was relatively quiet again - I can imagine it being a considerable amount busier on the saturday and potentially sunday, that's why I'm visiting friday again this year, hope this helps :)  

@James39 - tips. 1) dont expect many rides. Saturday will be rammed. 2) the two best places are at the front to the left of the middle and at the lower edge of the bottom Towers Street Mound. 3) No ert, gates open at 9:45 (BTW come say Hi if you see me I am there every day. Friday evening - doing a live broadcast of the fireworks. Saturday with friends, Sunday with the Nerds)

Some photos from this years preparations.

No towers this year.

P1140797.JPG

but we do have one of these in the lake.

P1140808.JPG

It is called a 'Woosher'. Look, See it woosh.

P1140844.JPG

See it Woosh from a distance (roughly the distance from my pint of beer)

P1140841.JPG

See it woosh at night!

P1140962.JPG

Something to tempt you more into coming. Look how pretty Blivvy is at sunset!

P1140856.JPG

So after leaving at 4.45 this morning, eventually arrived at the resort at 2.15pm due to breaking down 2 hours into the journey to then wait to get towed home, but we didn't give up there, we packed everything into our other car and off we go again!

In to the water park for a couple of hours which was pretty quiet and nice to see the outdoor slides open as they've been closed the last few years I've been. Then into a very quiet park although was apparent that it was getting busier in the leadup to the fireworks, plus the weather got better after the torrential rain and floods we battled in driving up. Biggest queue all afternoon/evening seemed to be about half hour.

The fireworks certainly didn't fail to disappoint again, being my second year and absolutely loved it, my favourite firework display / show ever.