2014 Season

Marc

The problem I always face trying to the 'GP' (or in other words, my friends) to come is if we can't get an even number of us - well odd number in my case because I have an annual pass - they won't go cos they don't have the money, and they still think it's a lot of money to buy a 2 for 1 and a full price ticket and split the price three ways. Sigh.

£50 is a ridiculous amount to pay, if we're all being honest. But, that's pretty much the point.

Give guests what they think is 'better value', even though the park probably expects people to pay the online rates. It then helps the park with expected park numbers, so it makes sense for them to encourage people to book online.

And you have to also remember everything is cheaper in America.

Aaaaand it may be like six flags in that it costs $25 to park a car.

1. Very true, America does have most things cheaper.

2. I'd like to know where you plucked that figure from, seeing as I definitely didn't pay anything near $25 to park at SFMM last year; it was similar in price to the UK (I think) but definitely wasn't in that region. Maybe it's just certain Six Flags?

Adding the word "Resort" does not automatically make Thorpe Park a resort :lol:

It worked for Blackpool Pleasure Beach... Resort... Based on the theory we're going with, I could put a swing in my garden, alongside a rental caravan and call my house a Resort.

It worked for Blackpool Pleasure Beach... Resort... Based on the theory we're going with, I could put a swing in my garden, alongside a rental caravan and call my house a Resort.

Yeah, it worked so well that they have removed "resort" from most of their social media channels/website etc.

I honestly don't think that this is a good move for Thorpe.

2. I'd like to know where you plucked that figure from, seeing as I definitely didn't pay anything near $25 to park at SFMM last year; it was similar in price to the UK (I think) but definitely wasn't in that region. Maybe it's just certain Six Flags?

I was recalling a trip to Six Flags New England just over a year ago, but a search on the SFMM website shows that it costs $20 to park a car! Sorry for the exaggeration.

Edit: Didn't see Turtle's post

$20 is ridiculous enough though to be honest! Especially when Disneyland Resort is $16.

I'm not that fussed by it. So what, it'll still be called Thorpe Park by basically everybody and it will soon seem natural. We all surely knew it was inevitable anyways?

I remember when the original Crash Pad plans came about and I asked Thorpe if they were planning to become TPR for 2013. They said no due to Crash Pad's temporary status. However, due to the Waterfront Hotel's semi-permanent position at the moment, it makes sense for them to fastrack the idea of calling themselves a resort and possibly attracting more people.

But, as MattyMoo says, calling yourself a resort doesn't make you a resort. Hopefully Thorpe will continue to improve their out-of-hours activities to give a more justified claim to that name, so this could be a good thing...

But, Waterfront Hotel is still essentially CrashPad right?

Of course, it probably has nothing to do with the desperate cling at the money-friendly family market...

So what does this mean for such events like MoS, which aren't particularly family friendly? Or indeed, Fright Nights... The park needs to focus properly instead of bodging together things...

Even when fright nights came about it was a family theme park! what difference is it 12 years down the line....?

They tried to make an adult park, it didn't work so they are going back to a family theme park. I wouldn't see that as being desperate? Thorpe having been going for resort since what 2007? After testing the market for a season they obviously came to a conclusion that it was the right thing to do after all these years...

Seriously, every business in the world tests the market numerous times, but just because it's Thorpe park, a park that is widely despised by theme park geeks , it is 'The wrong choice', 'a ridiculous move'.

Benin I wouldn't see it as 'desperately clinging at the money-friendly money market' when all they are doing is going back to 'old times' after the market they tested in failed' if anything it was clinging on to older generation markets. But let's be honest in the middle of a double dip recession with a record high unemployment rate, It wouldn't of worked in a million years.

after last years season though... in all fairness with all the events (summer nights, and MOS etc.) it had, thorpe as in the park itself is probably the most resort like - although it does require some other aspects outside the park, and a proper hotel, although with the new style crash pad staying for possibly up to 8 years, it is sort of a relatively permanent fixture adding resort to the name - so that's why they renamed the new crash pads to include hotel to make it sound good and fit in.

Even when fright nights came about it was a family theme park! what difference is it 12 years down the line....?

They tried to make an adult park, it didn't work so they are going back to a family theme park. I wouldn't see that as being desperate? Thorpe having been going for resort since what 2007? After testing the market for a season they obviously came to a conclusion that it was the right thing to do after all these years...

Seriously, every business in the world tests the market numerous times, but just because it's Thorpe park, a park that is widely despised by theme park geeks , it is 'The wrong choice', 'a ridiculous move'.

Benin I wouldn't see it as 'desperately clinging at the money-friendly money market' when all they are doing is going back to 'old times' after the market they tested in failed' if anything it was clinging on to older generation markets. But let's be honest in the middle of a double dip recession with a record high unemployment rate, It wouldn't of worked in a million years.

Did I say it was the wrong choice or a ridiculous move to go into the family market? Indeed, it's something I've been saying for a while but was told that the thrill market was where it was at... And now Thorpe are doing what they should've done years ago when it was clear that they were struggling for success...

Unfortunately, you cannot change things overnight, and the way in which they are just going from thrills to family market is a bit weird, as they lack the actual ability to fulfil the family requirements AT THE CURRENT TIME... Adding this will not automatically make Thorpe a viable destination for families... Indeed, they need a lot more (and to replace the old guard of younger rides like Safari and the Train) whilst providing a lot of other options for things to do...

The thing is, with the Angry Birds addition, it does scream of a desperate move to quickly get the family market into the park without long term thinking in order to fulfil the requirements of the higher ups... It's cheap and easy to bring in with minimal theming or effort from them, and will easily bring in the people... How to bring in the market you alienated years ago 101 some might say... Will it work? Time will tell, but they're sending out mixed messages to the guests atm with many on Facebook seemingly confused as to why they are adding this to a thrill based park...

The Waterfront Hotel move is similar... Just changing the name is a quick and easy way of making it a lot more marketable to the family market... Will it help bring them in? Probably, depends on the quality of it...

Thorpe is currently a mish-mash of ideas and focus, and the drastic and sudden change of marketing audience is not helping that matter... Indeed, another season of sprucing up the park and adding the dodgems and 4D Cinema would be fine, especially off the back of the last season, but now with the addition of the branding of Angry Birds it gives a lot of new pressure to them from expectant guests straight off the back... Changing to the family market needed to be gradual and finished with a big installation, not a cheap tiny 'land' that will look out of place against the once extremely beautiful Amity Cove and Inferno...

tl;dr - Change should be gradual, drastically trying to change perceptions is a risky move for any business... And considering Thorpe alienated the people it's now trying to bring in the addition of Angry Birds is clearly a quick buck move of desperation to get the much needed income and guest figures...