2014 Season

Marc

Whilst I agree with Coaster Jamie about Fastrack making everything seem easier; I did notice how many Merlin Annual Pass holders obtain disability... I don't think I've seen so many people with yellow wristbands before.

Also nobody's mentioned this I don't think.

Thorpe advertised 4pm at the entrance; then a member of staff on Inferno informed us that some attractions we're going on 'til 5pm (the coasters and a few flats such as Rush) - so Thorpe did extend it on til 5pm after the little slip up.

Seems like for once they've actually had a good clean-up over the closed season!

On Sunday I noticed that the Park appear to have removed all gum from pathways over the closed season, and I noticed some of the staff patrolling with litter grabbers appeared to be carrying an aerosol of some sort which I think was for removing chewing gum.

I did notice a few random bottles and things in awkward places on Rumba Rapids and Loggers Leap and a piece of gum stuck inside my Swarm restraint but otherwise the park was unusually spotless.

One thing I thought about today - oh, what a difference not selling fastrack makes!
Even on one train, the queues actually moved today! The park would be a much better place without that godforsaken system!

On Sunday when Nemesis Inferno was running on one train and the sign outside advised of a 45 minute queue they had someone selling Fastrack at the entrance to the ride. Not really a good way to treat APs! Queue dropped down to about 10 minutes when they got the second train running.

Edited by Tommy
Merged double post

• 2 weeks later...

All the marketing is doing at the moment is confusing me.

"Yes we want families to come here" and then they make concept art, all be it very nice, that shows it as an island with thrill rides on it. The sharks are obviously a reference to Shark Hotel, but I can't help but think it isn't overly obvious for somebody who isn't an enthusiast; and there isn't any presence of Angry Birds, or some of the highly advertised family rides. I mean, would it have hurt to stick a couple of Rumba boats in the water?

All the marketing is doing at the moment is confusing me.

"Yes we want families to come here" and then they make concept art, all be it very nice, that shows it as an island with thrill rides on it. The sharks are obviously a reference to Shark Hotel, but I can't help but think it isn't overly obvious for somebody who isn't an enthusiast; and there isn't any presence of Angry Birds, or some of the highly advertised family rides. I mean, would it have hurt to stick a couple of Rumba boats in the water?

Umm that's what Thorpe Park is, an "island" with thrill rides on it.

Umm that's what Thorpe Park is, an "island" with thrill rides on it.

My point is for a park trying to target the family market, it contradicts that in my opinion. The TV advert yes, has the family approach. This doesn't. So my point being, adding a couple of Rumba boats and maybe Depth Charge in the background wouldn't have done any harm - you know, to highlight some of these family rides that they're raving on about on TV.

...are you not classed as a family once the children are over 14? Y'know, just because the word family is used doesn't necessarily mean push chairs and nappies.

Again you are still missing my point. The park are using a TV advert that appeals to all families, inclusive of those with younger children. So, if you're going to promote rides such as Rumba and Depth Charge - and likewise Angry Birds - surely these rides should be used in all of their marketing. I'm not saying, don't put on the thrill rides; I'm saying it's solely the thrill rides. So if you're going to advertise some of the lower height rides on TV, and then put adverts inclusive of Loggers Leap amongst others on the park - then why create marketing images that cover none of the 'younger family' rides. I don't think I can make it any clearer...

The way I see it is this...

This image was posted on Facebook (and Twitter maybe?). The social media sites are more likely to focus on the 'old' target audience (ie - young adults and teens). They're going to be more interested in the thrill rides, so may as well focus on the thrill rides there.

Note, I'm not saying Thorpe shouldn't appeal to the 'up-for-it families' - which I believe is the type of families Thorpe should target - on the likes of FB and Twitter, but there's nothing wrong with having a few bits and pieces which focus purely on the thrills. Likewise, there's nothing wrong with having a few bits which are directly aimed to be more family-friendly.

For one picture, I think this has been overly-nitpicked.

No, you have made your point clear. I'm not being an arse for the sake of it, I just think - thrill rides can be family friendly. And it looks like Thorpe Park think that also, there are some families that are quite daring and children that are genuine thrill seekers.

Again, I DO see your point, but I genuinely think that thrill rides can appeal to ALL if marketed correctly. =)

No, you have made your point clear. I'm not being an arse for the sake of it, I just think - thrill rides can be family friendly. And it looks like Thorpe Park think that also, there are some families that are quite daring and children that are genuine thrill seekers.

Again, I DO see your point, but I genuinely think that thrill rides can appeal to ALL if marketed correctly. =)

I'm sorry but I really don't think you follow me. I appreciate that you can have 'up for it' families and families that enjoy thrills and Thorpe can stay how it is because thats what everybody wants etc.

But my biggest point remains, that they've invested into Angry Birds and have not incorporated any of it in the image. That would be like Chessington not advertising Scorpion Express, or Towers not advertising Cbeebies Land in my opinion; and thats my main point. Yes, I still feel that it should have fitted with their own TV and on-park advertising more, but that aside Angry Birds people!

I also agree with Josh, this has gone on too long with people just picking at any comment I made.

*more elaborately worded post*

I think this is being thought into way too much. What probably happened is someone designed some cool artwork, the media team liked it and so put it on facebook to keep awareness up on that particular day. I hardly think it represents their entire marketing direction. I don't think putting some random boats in the lake would raise awareness about water rides, it would probably just look out of place on that particular design. They're doing plenty more marketing towards the non-thrill section of the park so I doubt get how one picture would confuse the matter? They have all these big rides and a great setting, why not keep showing them off?

Woooooow, don't I feel dumb now. Sorry, okay. Point is well. And. Truly. Clear! Sorry. =)

But, (there's always one), how did we feel about Angry Birds? We weren't exactly blown away, I guess the public won't be either. I suppose the investment was purely to spruce up some rides at a reduced price using a brand to pay for most of it.

Angry Birds alone won't bring in people, but advertising Thorpe Park in a different light may do so.

(yeah, sorry guys for taking part in dragging this out. I'll shut up now)