Galactica

lewumbrajumbos

Going by that review it sounds like it could seriously affect throughputs, which isn't good.

Agreed. VR severely reduced Alpen Express's throughput at Europa Park, and that only uses it for about a third of the train. Towers staff are going to have to really fight to get Galatica a high throughput.

Air actually has an issue of dispatching too soon (according to ride ops ive spoken to). Over the course of the day the stations become out of sync because one station is normally too fast (could also be seen as one was delayed). I'm sure you have all been on it where it slows down on the lift hill or even stops. Cleaning each headset will clearly reduce the throughput but out of all the rides to choose from they chose the best one. Its not hard to get an air train ready to dispatch in time during normal operation so hopefully on a good day the throughput wont be effected too much.

Air actually has an issue of dispatching too soon (according to ride ops ive spoken to). Over the course of the day the stations become out of sync because one station is normally too fast (could also be seen as one was delayed). I'm sure you have all been on it where it slows down on the lift hill or even stops. Cleaning each headset will clearly reduce the throughput but out of all the rides to choose from they chose the best one. Its not hard to get an air train ready to dispatch in time during normal operation so hopefully on a good day the throughput wont be effected too much.

ERM........I am lost for words....

Occasionally the lift hill slows down but 90% of the time that I have been on it, I have been left dangling the brake run for a minute or so. there are always harnesses that need rechecking.....

Throughput gets even worse when it's only on 2 crafts as they often do on off peak days, I imagine it'll still be the case this season too.

I was referring to when 2 stations are in use. If one station is delayed the other one doesn't need to go as fast as the time before they can dispatch is longer. Think of it as a train has to leave within a time from the previous train leaving. Not the time from when the train arrived back in the station. While the overall time is the same the individual time is not. So to achieve a good throughput all you have to do is a really fast first train and a good time for trains 2 and 3.

Well... sort of. My understanding is that you only slow to a crawl on the lift hill when the initial part of the break run isn't clear. The Swarm does exactly the same thing if a dispatch has been particularly quick. The ideal way they run Air from what I've witnessed is that as a train comes into Station 1, in Station 2 that train is already assuming the position and dispatching.

This whole project is like Swarm backwards but on a massive scale, that frightens me.

It's already been mentioned this is going to be Alton Towers most staffed ride, a title which N:ST once owned... look how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by VR, space and even a ride that didn't have a theme, getting one.

But if the risk is loosing a very "simple but efficient at what it does" ride to a gimmick, then I'm praying for the future of Alton Towers & their management to wake up.

This screams short term, I just await the 2017 season when Galactica is just Air with 'portal' head-chopper.

I would have said 2020 when it is no longer viable to continue use of Galactica in the way they intend to use it this year. Its a gimmick that will quickly show its age. The animation looks of very poor quality and the technology is going to age incredibly fast. Will cost a lot to run and a lot to maintain.

Surely it's possible to coordinate the system so that the non-VR station can dispatch two trains to the VR's one? Or maybe it isn't that simple?

I don't believe there's a non-VR station. You simply choose whether you want to have VR or not; if you want to, you put it on. If not, you put it in the pouch in the sear.

Is having a staff member per row really sustainable over a number of years?

When the initial rush of people going to try it ends, I can see it being yet another staff-heavy attraction that ends up costing the park too much money.

Part of me thinks they would have done better to spend the money on keeping everything else open, but we shall see.

Yes It's not a rushed in project to bring back crowds for this year, it's been a much longer term project.

It's still incredibly short sighted but that's the way Merlin work as everyone knows by now.

Merlin directly fund staffing and operations of new attractions for their first year or two, after that it will be handed over financially to Alton Towers' own budget again, at which point it will likely collapse operationally just like Sub Terra did once that got handed back.

Would it not be a better idea to invest in attractions that will serve the park well for years?

I just can't see the sense of investing in so many short-term additions (Sub Terra, Saw Alive, IAC etc...) which all fizzle out after a few years when they could invest the same amount of money into an attraction that will last for years, for example a dark ride on the scale of Sub Terra, but one that doesn't rely on so many staff.

Would it not be a better idea to invest in attractions that will serve the park well for years?

I just can't see the sense of investing in so many short-term additions (Sub Terra, Saw Alive, IAC etc...) which all fizzle out after a few years when they could invest the same amount of money into an attraction that will last for years, for example a dark ride on the scale of Sub Terra, but one that doesn't rely on so many staff.

In short yes.

Thats why The Swarm is considered a failure for instance when for me it's Merlins most complete attraction. 

I don't believe there's a non-VR station. You simply choose whether you want to have VR or not; if you want to, you put it on. If not, you put it in the pouch in the sear.

Ah ha that figures, and I agree, with the sentiments above, I've no idea why Merlin have start investing in staff heavy attractions, it's like they're trying to fail (either that or they're on the same stuff Osbourne is).

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/alton-towers-galactica-vr-roller-coaster-delighted-and-frustrated-me/?utm_content=bufferb6de8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-gizmodouk

First part gives me hope.

The rest of it looks quite promising though. Despite the fact it takes 30 seconds at the least to put the headset on, and that's someone who's used them before. The throughput is gonna be down the DRAIN.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk