X

Garyy

The rule is the same on SAW; there is a limit to how many can be in the building due to evacuation procedures and H&S. Maybe people would prefer to queue inside, but such is life. This is not done by Thorpe's preference; I'm sure they'd much prefer to have both X and SAW as a free-queue like they used to be (as I'm sure Towers would prefer not to batch Rita) but its the way H&S have enforced it. Might I also add that X batches very frequently into the building in comparison to SAW which batches fifty approximately every minute or two; whereas X seems to back fifty more every thirty to forty-five seconds.

Although X:\ No Way Out could probably get away with having a full indoor queue line as it as countless fire escape doors, the ride fire panel is programmed very well, when it goes off all the dividing doors open which are adjacent to the exterior fire exit doors down the side of the building as well as the ventilation chambers reversing and sucking all the air out of building (in the case of a fire it would remove all the smoke from the building) and all the doors down the queue and exit that would essentially stop you going down there close due to the magnets on the doors.

Something Saw does not hold is a decent amount of fire escapes from the queue (only two) and the normal exit from the ride. Nor does it hold any. Ventilation chambers which extract smoke from the building at an industrial scale ( only 4 tiny little things that are more to cool the building then programmed for fire reasons I believe) and finally doesn't have any fire doors (ones that close automatically, not that it's really feasible in the shape of the queue).

As a big X:\ fan I must say have my fingers crossed that the ride will receive a lot of attention over this closed season. However over the years I have started to grow accustomed to being slightly disappointed every time the rumoured 're-themes' have not lived up to our expectations. Who knows though, perhaps this time the park will surprise us!

Whilst I understand that a large amount of enthusiasts, fan boys and members of the public think that X:\ is a waste of space and should just be replaced by another ride, I believe the ride should be given a fair chance to gain new fans by having a nice amount of money and care spent on it.

Back when the ride opened in 1996 it was the biggest ride RMC had ever added and although it was not received very well amongst the coaster enthusiast community it was popular with park guests. In my opinion the various changes to the queue line, the ride itself and a general lack of care and attention have harmed the ride experience over the years. Nowadays there may be a huge collection of newer thrilling roller coasters at the park, which make X:\ look quite tame in comparison, but I feel the park should proudly embrace their oldest non-powered coaster.

My wish list of improvements (if the 2013 rumour is true) are as follows:

1. A good deep clean and re-painting of the entire queue line, the nearer you get to the station the more disgusting the walls and floors seem to get. Whether it is piles of trash or large phallic etchings on the walls, these are reasonably small touches that would help improve the queue line for the new season, at least until the undesirable guests start to wreck it again.

2. If they are going to spend some money on the ride I would like the park to decide on a clear theme and stick to it. If the ride is destined to become a club themed "rave ride", I have no problem with that, I would just like to see it being a consistent theme from the entrance to the pyramid to the exit!

3. Please re-build/replace the train cars, at the end of this season they were looking worse than ever. As well as looking extremely dirty, I agree with another poster that the seats themselves seem to be deteriorating.

4. Whilst I would like to see the trains improved personally I would love to see the ride continue running backwards. I know that reversing the seating would probably help improve the downtime, but I feel that it would be striping X:\ of any originality. It would be a great shame to see the back of this unique ride gimmick, the 'backwards in the dark' sections of Revenge of the Mummy and TH13TEEN are some of the highlights of those rides for me but they are far too short in duration.

So in conclusion whilst I am hoping that the rumours are true and that we will all get to see a different incarnation of X:\ when the park opens in March, I am also a little apprehensive. My message to the park is that if you are going to make chances to this ride, please do it properly this time!

H&S is a very subjective thing - majority of which are park implemented, not anything else - X could probably have a full indoor queue, as many many escapes etc, however it's uncomfortable to queue in there for so long with so many people, so does not happen due to "H&S".

Vampire and Bubbles is fine to have a full queue inside their stations, quite easy flow to exit. However, the fire door is/was useless on Vampire leading to many accidental openings and alarms. Instead of improving that system, they didn't like people queuing next to it - also when fastrack is in operation they don't like many people in stations as it affects fastrackers experience - so does not happen due to "H&S".

Rita has been perfectly fine until the incident this year, the park took it upon themselves to ensure noone goes under the launch track now, including queueline, rather than told from above/HSE.

Only one I can agree with is SAW really, as a billion steps in an emergency situation can cause problems. The building itself probably doesn't need ventilation systems due to the fact half of the building is just wooden slats with space inbetween anyway.

The only reason they should close it is if they are genuinely going to replace it with something better.

There is no point just closing it for the sake of it/leaving it SBNO as it still gives guests another ride to experience and it must at least contribute a little to reducing queues on other rides.

Personally I would hate to see a replacement coaster there unless it was indoors. As much as I love rollercoasters, I go there to Thorpe for a bit of variety. If they are going to replace it, a new darkride would be a cool replacement. Sadly, if it is removed, I don't see this happening.

even if they do nothing with the theme, I can't see the ride going anywhere soon as it adds to their coaster count, its the only indoor ride and it isn't really that old, so if they do nothing I can see it staying another 5 years at least.

If anything they won't do anything until the 2015/2016 coaster goes in. If they need more space for coasters, they have two islands marked up for it, they have already got sites for flats in the MTDP as well.

Just imagine what they could fit in if they removed Depth Charge, Storm Surge, X:\ and slammer, that would leave a huge hole for some epic coaster, anyone call for a hyper coaster or a woodie?

Get rid of a load of rides to fit 1 in? I can't see that happening. Also it'd probably make the place look kinda cluttered (although arguments can be made that Storm Surge does this anyway) because it'll be quite close to a lot of other things, and most likely ruin any views of the whole park from the Dome.

I'd just like to see X:\ refurbished, I think it'd be great with a bit of love. Also, surely they wouldn't leave X:\ SBNO because the massive pyramid would look worse than Slammer when that's down.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's just get rid of this awful ride. Everyone I know who goes to Thorpe Park (who are all just the normal GP type, not enthusiasts) absolutely hate the ride. Its boring & feels like its going to breakdown. I really don't understand how anyone could like this ride, I really don't.

If you are referring to the brake runs then thats how it's supposed to feel. People must like it, if no one went on it then Thorpe would have gotten rid of it ages ago, just saying.

Whould the black hole from Alton towers fit in there? They coutld retheme the pyramid into a space ship?

Now please tell me how that would fit into Thorpes kind of themed areas? A space ship flying around Colossus? Hmm.

Edited by Tommy
brake not break