Tomb Blaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure!Herman was part of the team who were installing the ride system for 5th Dimension. It is believed that whilst working on the top of the "ramp" section, where the rolling ball now is, he fell tragically to his death (though some say he later died in hospital).There is actually a plaque in memory of him in the spot where he died, underneath the track for the ramp section.There have been many stories about Herman over the years, saying that he now haunts the ride and teases ride operators who walk the track every morning and evening. When I worked there I did have a couple of odd experiences, and I know that a couple of attendants used to get particularly upset whilst walking through certain parts of the ride.I have also had guests come up to me and complain about a "disturbing effect" at the end of the ride, where they described a ghostly projection staring at them. Creeped me out that one!

Other than the one where guests have said things, I've had some of the show effects start working in the sarcophagus scene (the on where the spike is and the animatronic mummy on the platform that spins round). This was a long time after the ride and show had been e-stopped, we're talking hours. We were doing a deep clean of the ride and were just doing one last walk of the track. When some of those show pieces started moving, me and my friend literally legged it round the rest of the ride, sort of screaming, but sort of cracking up at the same time at each other.Also- the ride is on two main levels due to the various slopes around the ride (you could argue three at one point but it's complicated). I was walking around the ride again, after ride close, and I heard footsteps from above. I looked into the firepit scene and saw torch light illuminating the walls, and the footsteps got closer. Now, bearing in mind that I had let my ride attendants go early and I stayed behind to do evening checks... the ride was locked from every entrance and there was no possible way in which anybody could get in. I got pretty freaked out and decided to call it a night! :)In reality I loved Herman though, and I hope he liked me for looking after his ride! :blush:

• 3 months later...

Gonna bring this topic back for a quick discussion about the ride (or more specifically, the theming)...Now my blaster was broken so I was semi-forced into riding the ride as it was originally designed to, and you know what, the theming that is on this ride is bloody brilliant... It seemed a LOT darker today especially in the skeleton corridor (whether this is due to new lighting or closing the shutters I'm not sure), which really upped the atmosphere...Of course, the ride isn't perfect, but the scenery and theming, is bloody spot on and rarely gets complimented...To the Studios...

While I was at the park yesterday we also had a run round without the blasters working, really got to marvel at the brilliant themed sets in there! :D We all called out at the end of the ride that the blasters weren't working and got another go around though.The queue stayed at around 45mins all day, quite long I thought considering I thought it had a high throughput.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't mind the look of them in the first photo; it seems to just 'work'. However, as the other one shows, a bit more up close, they just look ugly, unnatural and just doesn't 'work'.

Really not sure about it; will have to wait till I see them in person till I pass full judgement...