Scorpion Express

Dan9

I think that the giant scorpian is more of a legend that riders will encounter in the middle of the main helix. I can also bet money on the old raised queueline being completly gone (following fears of people falling from height), and we will get a flat cattlepen instead..

I quite like that idea, maybe a big giant one with claws hanging over a tunnel entrance. Add a bit of menace to a seemingly tame ride.

If the Scorpion Express is gonna do the 3 circuit system again, it might be suitable for the scorpion animatronic (if there is one) to be behind one of those shutters (like the one for Zufari's cave). When the train passes on it's last circuit, the shutter would've OPENED to reveal the surprise finale! This way, the storyline will actually make sense, rather than repeatedly speeding past the scorpion, in which by the 3rd circuit, the effect would've got pretty boring! :D

Judging from what's been said, I'm very interested in the giant scorpion idea, as it brings something new and I hope interactive which could be a great addition to the ride if done right.

If they are doing away with the bridge to the station, I hope we see a decently themed queue line that builds up the ride experience, but that being said knowing Merlin, we'll probably get a cattle pen just like the ones in Saw and the Smiler.

I really do hope the rocks, or a strong equivalent are built within otherwise the ride certainly won't be the same or anything near as good as it was in its old form.

If they must keep the old, I hope they can at least make the seats and restraints like those on the fish as I find them more co fable than those that were on mine train.

Runaway Train had one of the most elaborate queues ever for such a small rollercoaster. It used to be significantly longer than what it was by 2012!

I believe you entered through the line of buildings where the game stalls are now, then went up over the balcony to overlook Calamity Canyon? Then the path went down steps (which still existed by 2012) and round a pond with the waterfall effect and totem pole that were replaced by the Children's Zoo. From there it joined the familiar bridge, went down the steps in the boiler shack, through the cave and over the last bridge to reach the platform.

The cool but unnecessarily long design shows how willing Chessington were to be extensive and creative back then, when nowadays roller coasters of 10x the budget now just get concrete and switchbacks!

Does anybody know when the queue was shortened? The original entrance hadn't been in use for as long as I can remember.

I have no idea when they stopped allowing you to use it, but it was long after you still actually could but no one did as you could jump in by the boiler instead. I'd think it was as recent as this century at least.

That original queue above the shop fronts felt like such an adventure.

EDIT ^2003 then!

Interesting! I do remember the pond path by the waterfall (which was often broken), but never knew it used to be the ride's queueline until after they demolished it.

I'm sure there was a lot of scenic design they removed as well, although I've only seen parts from old maps/brochures.

I think all that still exists is the boiler which has been put into storage (judging from this photo)

I think it's should be obvious by now, there will be no rocks! The old Runnaway train as we knew it, is never coming back.

Whilst I'm sure it will have some nice touches to it, from what I can picture, it will be a very flat Merlin re-theme.

If you have ridden Aladdin's Magic Carpets at the WDSP, you will be aware of the high wall around the flat cattlepen queueline, and ride to hide the staff area behind.. THAT'S what I'm expecting them to do here. (No rocks!!!!)

If they do pull it off, I'll eat my hat. If anything, I'd be more interested how they spruce up the area with any additional buildings (panning for gold anyone?), I'm sure it will look fresh, but it certainlly wont have the interesting queueline, or rocks that made a mack powered coaster look cool..

From what I've seen and heard so far, I can only predict that we will be extremely disappointed with the final product.

If there's no rock work or immersive queue line for the ride, it will be a disaster. Chessington has lost the ball very badly in recent years, with the exception of Wild Asia, and although I only started visiting the park after it's peak in 2006, I can safely say the park was better then from. What it is now and during 2013, only a few good moves were made to the park, one of which has now burnt down.

Whilst Thorpe and even Towers are progressing each year, Chessington now seems to be slipping back and looking at its long past too much and needs to start getting their head round this and delivering us some exciting developments as if there's no rocks or equivalent next year at the park, I certainly won't be visiting more than a couple of times.

I find it disappointing that a company as big and financially funded as Merlin lack that little ambition to really go all out on a new attraction.

I know Chessington isn't the easiest landscape to work with due to height restrictions etc but in the case of refreshing an old attraction, I don't see why the rocks can't return. If Pleasure Beach can take the time to replace the giant Valhalla facade, Merlin sure as hell can do the same with RMT.

Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but from what I hear, I am not expecting much.

I'm going to try at least keep an open mind about Runaway Train. Merlin can do decent refurbs at times so it's not so radical that Scorpion Express could look brilliant. Bubbleworks gets peddled out but what about the decent Wild Asia, Mutiny Bay or Oblivion's refurbishment last year that despite being completely overlooked next to Smiler, made Oblivion look shiny again.