Scorpion Express

Dan9

Unlike the marketing image, the original concept art showed a very metal, built creature - maybe something the locals have thrown together to scare off people ?

(haha ironic!)

Hmm, interesting!

Have to say, I'd much prefer a more padded-out, 'realistic' (well, as realistic as you can get with an oversized creature! - as a side note, I think it's a decent size) creature, much like in the marketing image. It just seems more in-line with Chessington's overall image, and fits with the idea of the back story of the ride. But if that's the look they were planning, then so be it I guess.

*Insert standard 'I'm not judging it till I ride' and 'I'm trying to keep an open mind about it all' comments, even though I am dubious about it all*

Picture from TPG, this scorpion looks pathetic :/ I at least through it would move or something, I'm hoping they have absolutely loads of theming to go in, its like a brown flying fish with some MDF sheds around it. (look in the background of the pictures you can see whats on the front of the back edging) But on a plus point they have some rocks.. ;)

DSCN2484.jpg

DSCN2480.jpgDSCN2493.jpg

Ironic that those steel girders holding up a 2D background are far more robust than the scaffold-thing that held up the big mine caves for 26 years!

I'll miss the old Runaway Train, if mostly for the ability for the operator to interact with the riders so much. I'm assuming that flexibility will be gone now the ride has been refurbished so thoroughly, with prerecorded announcements and such probably coming next year. I've also heard murmurs (that I hope aren't true) about the ride getting some kind of pre show, which could rule out the extra circuits you'd get on off-peak days!

If this ride was a new project being pulled off from parks like Pleasurewood Hills or Adventure Island, then I would be rather impressed.

However as this is Chessington and actually a retheme of a ride, I am not and feel disappointed the scorpion isn't of a larger scale or that it can move itself away from the riders.

I'm also not keen on the metal railings as it makes the ride feel even more-so out of character.