Colossus

Adam J

• 2 weeks later...

The face was spurting out water on Monday. I have a picture but I can't seem to find the lead for my phone so I can't get it on my laptop and photobucket.

Great to see the effect working again and nice to see the park have gone through the ffort of making it work again. (Unless it was just working by chance..?)

The face was spurting out water on Monday. I have a picture but I can't seem to find the lead for my phone so I can't get it on my laptop and photobucket.

Great to see the effect working again and nice to see the park have gone through the ffort of making it work again. (Unless it was just working by chance..?)

I saw that working too last time we went :D

Just saw a discussion about Thorpe's upkeep of painting their rides (or lack of it) in another topic and thought naturally to come to this topic.

My friends went to Thorpe Park just before the Easter break (I wasn't able to go because of University) and I was surprised for them to tell me that not only did they all decide not to ride Colossus because they don't like how rough it is but they all commented on how bad it looks; making specific remarks about the oil/track lubricant stains on various parts of the lift (they didn't know what the marks were, they just said it looked "really old and manky").

I know that obviously they have had The Swarm opening up this year so the park really would want the main focus of all the attention to be on their newest attraction but at some point, maybe even at the end of this season, I think Merlin really would be missing a trick if they didn't have some kind of spin about it being 10 seasons of the power of 10 and all that malarky.

Wishful thinking really would be that they rejuvenate the ride over next closed season, with a fresh like of paint, get everything working like it should and maybe even add something new. A real treat really would be new trains but I'm not aware of any new models which Intamin have created which would work for Colossus; again this is all wishful/very far fetched thinking.

I hope that they do something over summer / Sun Scream, just to make it a little bit more special. Even if it's just balloons and a little bit of music going on round the area or something, just a little thing to show that they are proud of '10 years of the power of 10'.

Also, haven't the kind guys of TPM said <EDITED OUT> ? (Looks at mods / admins) :P

Edited by Sidders
: Secrets! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant feature - we need more blogs like this from the Senior Team and the Admin of TPM! It's fair enough having great first-hand information from Thorpe themselves to post, but what really makes this place the community it thrives to be is the knowledge that there are real people who have a passion for thrill rides behind both sites. I think more personal blogs from members willing to contribute would be a great opportunity to send out the right message about TPM and ManiaHub.

Huge thanks once again for Mark's blog. Very fitting. :)

I went on Colossus a few days ago. There was a group of school kids on are train who cried when they got off and where in agony all complaining about headbaning. I was fine though and loved the ride but I always try and sit as far forward as possible as it can be a bit bumpy but its not bad, anyone who rode the Missile at American Adventure will know what real headbaning is.

They could do with new trains for the ride as the Intamin ones are not very well designed. My left leg never fits properly and get jammed in but once the ride starts I forget about it and enjoy. There are also parts of the ride that need retracking but I doubt that would happen anytime soon.

My favourite ride is the Ultimate so my opinion might be voided by that.

A real question I have is really what would cure the roughness of the ride.

Some rides have new trains installed and it seems to work. Some rides even go to the measure of re-tracking the entire ride (in the case of Space Mountain). Unfortunately I do not envisage Thorpe Park doing either of these, especially considering the cut backs right now.

A real question I have is reall what would cure the roughness of the ride.

Some rides have new trains installed and it seems to work. Some rides even go to the measure of re-tracking the entire ride (in the case of Space Mountain). Unfortunately I do not envisage Thorpe Park doing either of these, especially considering the cut backs right now.

The rough parts of the ride can be retracked and reprofiled, and new trains installed. That would probably solve a lot of the problems some people have (as long as its done properly). The Missile was terrible at American Adventure with the Arrow train but when it was moved it had a different train installed and is much better.

Yeah I don't have any trouble with the ride at the moment I have always liked it but a lot of people seem to have problems with it. PMBO is often having parts of the ride retracked and has work done to it to keep it running well and has just had 2 new trains built for it. I think it might be time for some retracking work on at least a few small sections of the ride, I was having a close look on Tuesday and there where a few sections of track that looked poorly aligned.