Colossus

Adam J

Yeah I don't have any trouble with the ride at the moment I have always liked it but a lot of people seem to have problems with it. PMBO is often having parts of the ride retracked and has work done to it to keep it running well and has just had 2 new trains built for it. I think it might be time for some retracking work on at least a few small sections of the ride, I was having a close look on Tuesday and there where a few sections of track that looked poorly aligned.

Oh for goodness sake I wish they'd just let it fall apart with dignity. WOuld love to here what PBE have to say about that should it happen.*

*They'd probably blame Merlin for unsportsmanlike conduct or some crap like that.

If Colossus had trains that didn't restrict my legs for 90 seconds and were actually possible to get out of then it would be an improvement... Like it was 10 years ago...

But then again, I have the opinion of if you have to brace yourself on a ride, it's not that great, especially for the people who have never ridden it before and hence won't know this small fact between it being goddamn awful and potentially rideable...

Oh for goodness sake I wish they'd just let it fall apart with dignity. WOuld love to here what PBE have to say about that should it happen.*

*They'd probably blame Merlin for unsportsmanlike conduct or some crap like that.

I actually don't mind the PMBO getting bashed around is part of the fun, although Wild Mouse win's that award.

I would never say the roughness is enough to discourage me from riding but as we've clearly seen on this forum alone, people's sensitivity and perception of roughness is very different. I would have far rather seen trains for Colossus than Storm Surge; just saying. But like I said, doubt this'll happen as Marc has said, bracing yourself is an expectation placed on its riders by the park for their comfort and I can imagine Merlin would only invest in new trains if they offered a new experience (Vampire floorless trains), making it marketable; not aware of a train design out there which can radically change Colossus without more extensive modifications.

I think by the sounds of things, people have a different definition of "bracing themselves". I don't think anyone is expected to turn into statues during the course of a ride to be comfortable. For me, bracing just means making my body a little more rigid so that I don't get thrown about. Like Marc said, you are travelling at speed through a course which is technically not natural for your body so you have to prepare your body for it in order to be comfortable.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that doing the Colossus ERT, really changed my perception of the ride and what its done as a whole. When I wrote the feature on TPM, I was doing it from quite a factual basis but riding it last week did bring up a slightly emotional response. It was quite clear from our talk that the park is proud of Colossus, regardless of it's frequently described roughness and the ride looking like it has had better days. Standing in the station with no guests around or at the top of the lift hill really highlights the impact Colossus has had on the Uk industry. It begun a sea change of investment; never before had so many rollercoasters been built in such a small amount of time (Inferno, Fury, Spinball, Jungle Coaster, Rita, Speed. Velocity, G-Force, Cobra, Stealth, Kumali to name a few in a three year period)

Posted Image

Always loved Colossus's nose :wub:

Posted Image

• 2 months later...

Ok on Sunday when I went, I got one ride on Colossus but noticed that all around the "pond" smelt like sewage, so I decided to have a look and noticed that it was empty apart from its inch of gunge at the bottom. Them I was the masses of pumps that power this feature (when it is actually on) how many of them do you think actually work? Also do you think it is getting a refurb?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 6 months later...

I could have sworn Colossus' track was gonna get a new lick of paint. Obviously not, cos there's still rust on the track, making the experience a bit rough in places :(

Painting over rust won't remove it. Plus I don't think rusting is the cause of roughness anyway, I used to find it rougher back when the track still looked in fairly good condition.

I think roughness is caused by the wheels depending on their tightness and alignment on the track and on the track itself old be made rougher with the paint fading causing rougher areas of the track.

I think to make the ride a lot smoother it may need new trains or even track parts in areas of the ride (I find the cobra rolls the worst).

I dunno about you guys, but I find the restraints another reason why the experience on Colossus could be uncomfortable sometimes. First of all, they dont even go down to your waist, like say, Nemesis Inferno's and Saw - The Ride's do, and secondly, sometimes they could really press down on your legs. I had to learn that the hard way a few years ago!

I tend to avoid Colossus as the seats are so uncomfortable, you are squeezed in and the belts are so too short, the number of people I have seen having to get off as they can't clip in the belts. They really need to do something about this or even get seats for larger guests as guests with long legs, big tummys or large breasts really struggle.