Sparkle Project

Mattgwise

To discuss the official refurbishment project at Thorpe. Revealed in the Christmas video 2023 the following is planned for the 2024 season.

• Colossus repaint (half initially), control system upgrade, dispatch screen, rockwork and theming repairs/upgrades to queue and long term track replacement.
  • Stealth station/photo kiosk repaint, refurb to entrance & queue, new TV screens
  • Rush & vortex repainted to original colours
  • Samurai repainted red/black (AKA original chessington colour scheme)
  • Refurbished toilets in Amity Cove, Big Easy Boulevard & Swarm Island. Virtual interior rebuild of Old Town toilets including Gender neutral toilets, baby change and a second "changing places" toilet
  • Tidal wave work including new bridge, exit ramp and more open view of lagoon.
  • KFC refurb/enhancements (not removing Shark or theming)
  • New digital screens, park wide audio enhancements, further new food outlets, shade cover in some queue lines
  • Further refurbishments to some classics.

Discuss and share further ideas as the are announced. Video below... 

• Mattgwise changed the title to Sparkle Project
  • Mattgwise pinned this topic

It’s great to see thorpe doing all this work, definitely needed! Seems they have managed to find a load of spare money this season though; new coaster, new themed area and many repaints/referbs. If this money was available every closed season, why is it only now we’re seeing it being used in a positive way rather than just being kept as profits?

Let's hope this happens more than once like every other similar project akin to this at other parks.

Reverting back to old Samurai colours is a choice.

38 minutes ago, tactic said:

If this money was available every closed season, why is it only now we’re seeing it being used in a positive way rather than just being kept as profits?

That's capitalism for you. And why half the infrastructure in the country is in the state it is.

Ok so they are just doing stuff Europa park would do whilst open?!? It’s great but I don’t think they should be proud about having to make a video to say….. yeah we let these things get so run down that now we have decided to give them an uplift.

also this list doesn’t include the screen at the entrance plaza should we be concerned.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Merlin pull the budget plug at any point…..

There’s a clear shift in how Merlin spend money the last couple of years tbf, I would guess the combo of a new CEO / going back to private have made this more possible.

Agree all this stuff should be standard but I guess it isn’t in recent times here so it is nice to see.

Hopefully once it is done they can keep it up - even just smaller touches up around the park each year can keep it up to a decent standard whilst not costing multi millions which I can only assume all this is costing to bring it up from where it currently is / was.

Very excited to hear about lots of these updates. Very much needed for the park and something which should have been done years ago. 

A lot of the U.K. parks have been way behind many in Europe and America, when it comes to upkeep and presentation. But this is a strong start indeed. Would be nice if this was a regular thing rather than just an odd number of seasons. 

19 hours ago, ML27 said:

It’s all well and good and will look good for next couple of years but will need regular maintenance to keep the appearance up to scratch. They really need an onsite maintenance team specifically with an eye for quality and standards. Not just general facilities  

This is the main thing really.

By doing all these things up, they need to commit to doing other things which need doing, and keeping up appearances too.

The tart ups of Colossus and Stealth will highlight how Inferno needs a freshen up.

The effects and theming on Swarm need some attention. Again, tarting up other areas will highlight that Swarm needs attention. And then they need to maintain them.

With Stealth, Teacups and Big Easy Boulevard all getting attention, all of a sudden Rumba Rapids will look even more run down.

The Beach and Depth Charge are still things that need attention.

The Sparkle Project does have a feel of Towers Loving Care. And whilst that was great in the then and now, we've seen how things have been abandoned since. But as has been said, it does feel like the park and Merlin are putting more money into the park (/ parks in general), which is very good.

Hopefully the Sparkle Project will become a more standard winter maintenance.

And yes, more importantly, that they have a department who can maintain everything and keep on top of things.

But big thing: I'm loving the updates that they've talked about. Really looking forward to seeing what the park manage.

Looks like they are removing the rocks too in the right hand side of the second pic.

I’m glad they are doing this, amity is such a pinch point during peak periods. Just a shame there’s no way I can think of that the park could install adequate seating whilst keeping the area clear.

When asked about the Hyperia Burger King on the pass-holder group. They replied saying “they will keep us updated on this area soon”. What’s clear to me, even tho it was never included in the planning application, that ‘street’ with the toilets and Burger King is actually part of Hyperia’s area and they’ve gone the smart way in bringing it into line with Hyperia. It’s cheaper to do this way and already making good use of existing buildings. They still look pretty western though and don’t really match the black and gold of Hyperia’s station.

I personally can’t see that Burger King staying, my bets is that it’s going to be a themed Aramark unit. Which isn’t a bad thing because at Thorpe, it seems Aramark has to complement the existing brands and offering.

Unpopular opinion perhaps but I think despite the sparkle project the park will still look very run down in places, as it youths have been able to climb over everything for years with no maintaining… 

Id also question if the new area will look any better than angry birds land did, I expect a lot of printed 2d signs rather than prop pieces, at least with angry birds there was other set pieces.

I think that’s fair enough, but they do seem to be doing a huge amount in what is really a very short closed season.

Hopefully the closed seasons will be a little more like this going forward - they’re never going to fix everything in one go, but fingers crossed they keep the momentum going.

Speaking of the toilet upgrades though - I hope they keep the foot pedal operated taps. There’s something very classic Thorpe about the mass unspoken confusion around the sinks.

5 hours ago, Inferno said:

Speaking of the toilet upgrades though - I hope they keep the foot pedal operated taps. There’s something very classic Thorpe about the mass unspoken confusion around the sinks.

Thorpe said the following on their Facebook update from the 28th December... 

Screenshot_2024-01-06-01-17-51-34_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

5 minutes ago, Inferno said:

umm, WHAT.

At least they survive in the boulevard one I suppose!

Dunno how long it's been since you've been in the Boulevard Bogs, but the foot pedal sinks were removed from there when the toilets were tarted up in 2017!

They are gone for good; another quintessential Thorpe classic lost 

7 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Dunno how long it's been since you've been in the Boulevard Bogs, but the foot pedal sinks were removed from there when the toilets were tarted up in 2017!

😂 It's not my toilet of choice - I'm partial to Amity's or Swarm's - but I must have been in there since then!

• 2 weeks later...