Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I really struggle to see this years improvements. Toadies, Falls, Scorpion, Bubbleworks are just depressing to go on. New Market Square looks nice I guess but there's not much to it.

How is Scorpion depressing? It looks new and fresh. It's entertaining people and it has loads of little hidden touches.

Bubbleworks is looking the best it's been since 2005. As it has finally had all of the sodding logos removed, the facade is looking better than it ever did, and a hefty amount has been spent on lighting. Especially in the Fountain Finale!

Falls looks hideous for obvious reasons. But should all go well, it'll be sorted in due course.

If you don't think the park is looking good, I suggest you take a trip down to Thorpe where the Lost City, Canada Creek, Calypso Quay, Neptune's Beach, Amity Cove and Storm Surge do a fine job of looking awful. You'll soon realise Chessington is in very good condition! (Now!)

That's the spirit

No, we really don't 'need' the ducks...

What we need is a gutting of all theming and them starting from scratch...

That's what I meant with the 'for now' part. For now Chessington have no plans for any major refurbs with the Bubbleworks, so for now the ducks are the only theaming the ride has, so for now it's better to lump it. 

Bubbleworks is looking the best it's been since 2005. As it has finally had all of the sodding logos removed, the facade is looking better than it ever did, and a hefty amount has been spent on lighting. Especially in the Fountain Finale!

BubbleWorks looks great this year but only in comparison to recent years. The lighting in the finale could easily be improved with a day's worth of fiddling, it looks better than before because it has new equipment but in the world of lighting is quite generic. Not a scratch on the original lighting scheme.

The facade looked a looooooot better in 1990 than it does now. One day they might get those nice little touches like hanging baskets and fleur de lis frills back.

Never saw the Bubble works before the duck invasion (first visited 2006) but must say the area and ride as a whole definitely looks the best it has since all my visits there.

That being said, hiding some of the old Imperial Leather signs with tipex is little disappointing (especially at a park like Chessngton).

Really hope they continue area upgrade/refreshes next year as it's done the park wonders so far this year.

The blue (in my opinion) works just so much better.

Yes it looks so much smarter than the previous colour scheme, but the building had been repainted over so poorly (it never used to be such a dark pinky shade) over the years that the original 'look' had been lost anyway.

When Transylvania opened the buildings were fresh and all painted in the same muted, quaint colour palette - that was the best. But what we have now is more colourful and theme parky I suppose.

Bubble Works may look the best it has done in years, but I'm sorry to say any of it is better than it used to be is laughable.

It has a good ride system, good finale fountains and very catchy infectious music.

But that's where it ends, the theme is dreadful, the paintwork is woeful, the graffiti on the building walls heading in shows this. Tip-ex the posters is shoddy, hardly anything moves inside anymore, the music still skips and doesn't loop properly, its dirty on the walls and floors with peeling scenery all over, the finale lighting is average and poor if you rode the ride prior to the refit, the mirrors now missing again and the random boat scenery is a joke.

Yes the lights are better in the main section of the ride but again it's expected in this day and age.

People remember Bubble works for the fountain finale and the music, enthusiasts remember the ducks (or Professor Burp)

I'm sorry after experiencing It's a Small World, this ride with a decent amount of investment in just a story would out last any ride at the park and the frustrating thing is the basics are already in place!

Does anyone know why the whole of wild asia is closed off at the moment? Despite no queues on park so many rides are closed!! Dragons falls, Griffins Galleon, Hocus Pocus Hall, Kobra, Monkey swinger, Safari Skyway, Peaking Heights, Temple of Mayhem and Tuk Tuk turmoil are all closed at the moment.

Does anyone know why the whole of wild asia is closed off at the moment? Despite no queues on park so many rides are closed!! Dragons falls, Griffins Galleon, Hocus Pocus Hall, Kobra, Monkey swinger, Safari Skyway, Peaking Heights, Temple of Mayhem and Tuk Tuk turmoil are all closed at the moment.

Are you actually there? I took the website to mean that they will open later at 11am or 12pm but would stay open until 5pm like the rest.

• 5 weeks later...

Just having a nosey through the opening times for next year and there are a few things worth mentioning.

Annual pass weekend is currently on the 14th and 15th March 10-5. Again it says it will be prebook only but it's not available at the moment like previous years.

The park opens fully on Wednesday 18th March with 10-5 opening times on weekdays and weekends that aren't around school holidays. 10-6 opening for things like Easter and May half term.

From 22nd July through to Tuesday 1st September the park is currently down as 10-7 opening. Nice to see they're extending summer opening times a bit (maybe Thorpe will go back to 8?)

Halloween runs from Friday 23rd October to Monday 2nd November again with 10-8 operating hours.

So while this could and probably will all change, it's nice to see Chessie trying to have some extended hours over summer.

Good to see the park steadily improving and expanding their hours (in reverse to those cuts we saw in 2012). I'm satisfied they've reverted to 7pm summer closings as hearing previous year reports it did need it plus the continuing of howl o ween 8pm closures and a slightly earlier start to the season too.

Maybe one day hopefully we will see 2 week durations for Howl'o ween and 6pm closings for every weekend (or more).

Also the last day of the season so far (by the looks) will be Monday the 2nd which will also be another Howl'oween day with an 8pm close which is good to see.

• 2 weeks later...

10-7pm opening's are fantastic to see for the summer when they are definitely needed.

and 6pm closings for every weekend (or more).

To be perfectly honest most weekends in any time apart from school holidays are reasonably quiet anyway so not really any need to extend opening hours I think I would prefer Early ride Time on the weekend myself, 6pm closing would be nice I agree.but I don't think it's a necessity.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion