SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Stampida at Portaventura is intense and it is ONLY because it is horribly rough.

I don't even think saw is rough though it is intense but it is not rough. I have only ever felt the jolt once or twice and it has only been rough at the end a couple of times. I thoroughly enjoy saw as I also enjoy Furius baco, call me mad if you wish but everything about it is great. The themeing may not be amazing but I love the first drop in the dark and the indoor section is thoroughly enjoyable. The lift hill is always really scary for me going up vertically and the first drop is great. The airtime hill and the last section are also very good. You get the most airtime out of any ride in the park(excluding detonator).

I really enjoy saw and it is a real crowd puller always having longest queues on park. I don't want it to be removed because I enjoy it and like Furius baco it is a must as it is an experience whether you love it or hate it. Anyway, I don't see the hate on saw, it is very good for a ride in the UK and the public enjoy it.

Speed is not in anyway rough.

I rode it in it's opening year and there was definitely headbanging during the turnaround before the loop. Very peculiar shaping.

My input to this thread - at the end of the day I think we are going to have to say smoothness is a matter of opinion.

Everyone and their bodies are different and will feel different sensations on different rides. If you find something rough, it doesn't mean everyone else does too. If you find something smooth, it doesn't mean everyone will 'experience' a smooth ride too. There are way too many variables.

(Or the conversation could continue going round in circles  :P )

This is why we all have different favourite rides and not all rides are built the same...

I don't think people are ever going to agree on this but for me personally I don't see how rough can ever be a positive factor for a coaster, nor do I think it creates intensity. For instance, whatever the mine train is called at Magic Mountain happily beats up its passengers but I don't think many would call it intense. Then you have rides such as Batman and Tatsu at the same park which are smoother but also much more intense.

I agree with toofpikk's last point. That aside I also agree with Turtle when he says rough doesn't make intense. The Ultimate, is not intense, it's a fun throw-you-around ride, like Gold Rusher at SFMM. Batman is a prime example of intensity and smoothness; although I disagree a little on Tatsu, I just find it too uncomfortable to ride due to the pretzel loop.

This aside though, on the philosophy of rough=intense, some users clearly love Vekoma SLC's ;)

Sorry to change the subject, but I think I had a SAW: The Ride related nightmare last night.

There was a load of people in a room in the warehouse where the queue is (for saw the ride) and Billy said that the last person alive would win (kinda like the Hunger Games). He sent half of the people back to their lives and kept half of them, including me, there. If a person was to even think anything negative about Billy, they would die on the spot. I remember one guy just dying after thinking about him at a footie match. I got into the 2nd round where there were 6 of us left. But then I woke up and found my heart hammering.

I never have nightmares, but maybe my newfound love for Thorpe is taking its toll.

Sounds dramatic, but I'm not a drama queen.

Rode SAW yesterday and still have a bad headache after SEVERE head-banging against the restraint.  Was sat in the front row on the outer-left seat (as you face forwards).  I think the biggest thump my head took was soon after the main drop.  I don't remember the ride being this rough 2 years or so ago when I rode it - back then I really enjoyed it - yesterday I didn't enjoy it at all on account of trying to find the best way to combat the shaking - I chose to lift my head slightly forwards and use my neck muscles to try and counteract the violent movements.  Was a real shame as I couldn't relax and enjoy the ride - especially after such a smooth experience on Nemesis and Swarm.  I'm a middle age guy in pretty good physical condition - my worry is that if someone far younger, or far older, took a whacking like that, I could foresee them having a blackout.

Does anyone know the deal with the ride - does it capture ride data as to how much the cars vibrate etc. that is then used to monitor the 'smoothness' of the ride in case any remedial engineering work is needed to the track / cars?

It's funny how a few times recently I've been on it, it's been really smooth...but only last time I went on it was it INCREDIBLY rough! (This is probably due to the fact I wasn't holding on - instead I was desperately clinging onto my phone and wallet which were in my ridiculously shallow pockets of my shorts! :P)

Rode SAW yesterday and still have a bad headache after SEVERE head-banging against the restraint.  Was sat in the front row on the outer-left seat (as you face forwards).  I think the biggest thump my head took was soon after the main drop.  I don't remember the ride being this rough 2 years or so ago when I rode it - back then I really enjoyed it - yesterday I didn't enjoy it at all on account of trying to find the best way to combat the shaking - I chose to lift my head slightly forwards and use my neck muscles to try and counteract the violent movements.  Was a real shame as I couldn't relax and enjoy the ride - especially after such a smooth experience on Nemesis and Swarm.  I'm a middle age guy in pretty good physical condition - my worry is that if someone far younger, or far older, took a whacking like that, I could foresee them having a blackout.

I haven't been on SAW for my last few visits so I don't know how rough it currently is, but I think the trick is to hold on and kind of move yourself in correspondence with the ride- or the complete opposite, if that makes sense- well that's what I do anyway- however I do still sometimes get the odd rough ride if I don't focus or brace properly. I'm not sure whether it's very good that I have to focus and concentrate on a ride to stop me from feeling faint! 

On another note, I've been suffering from a number of dizzy spells lately, and I did get a few when we went to Thorpe in July (that may have kickstarted it actually whoops) so it looks like I might be avoiding SAW for a while  ^_^