Closed Rides

Ash

No - they have has the closed season to run the ride as much as they can - cant they then find out the potential problems and fix them ready for opening?!?!

It's not a case of that. Rides can run fine all closed season but as soon as you add people it becomes a whole different kettle of fish.

No - they have has the closed season to run the ride as much as they can - cant they then find out the potential problems and fix them ready for opening?!?!

It's not a case of that. Rides can run fine all closed season but as soon as you add people it becomes a whole different kettle of fish.

I have to agree with Perks... there is no logical reason why testing with water-dummies should cause any different problems to riding with real people. If there testing procedures are rugged and thorough enough, surely this should simulate both maximum and minimum loads, as well as a range in between allowing the majority of problems to be solved.I accept that SAW may be shut - new stuff may behave erratically. It always will without YEARS of testing. But the other rides really should have MUCH better reliability; Thorpe is getting a VERY bad name for reliability. It's becoming one of those things people comment every time you mention Thorpe - "oh was (this and that) open", "never was when I was there"

I accept that SAW may be shut - new stuff may behave erratically. It always will without YEARS of testing. But the other rides really should have MUCH better reliability; Thorpe is getting a VERY bad name for reliability. It's becoming one of those things people comment every time you mention Thorpe - "oh was (this and that) open", "never was when I was there"

To be honest it's more noticeable at Thorpe because they have a lot more very complex rides than the other parks, and they get even less closed season maintenence than the other parks cos Thorpe feel its necessary to push the engineers to get them open for February - creating rushed jobs which are just asking to go wrong.

I have to agree with Perks... there is no logical reason why testing with water-dummies should cause any different problems to riding with real people. If there testing procedures are rugged and thorough enough, surely this should simulate both maximum and minimum loads, as well as a range in between allowing the majority of problems to be solved.I accept that SAW may be shut - new stuff may behave erratically. It always will without YEARS of testing. But the other rides really should have MUCH better reliability; Thorpe is getting a VERY bad name for reliability. It's becoming one of those things people comment every time you mention Thorpe - "oh was (this and that) open", "never was when I was there"

Cheers Fraser! Your totally right - thorpe has to sort its self out or all people will do is complain and ask for their money back - hopefully this will only get better

To be honest it's more noticeable at Thorpe because they have a lot more very complex rides than the other parks, and they get even less closed season maintenence than the other parks cos Thorpe feel its necessary to push the engineers to get them open for February - creating rushed jobs which are just asking to go wrong.

The only thing I would say to Closed Seasons is places like Orlando - they run 7 days a week 364 days a year. There is a way to do this, and I for one do not believe that Merlin's margins are so tight they couldn't invest more in keeping the park running. Lets face it, a fully operational park is much more profitable than a half shut one. To put it simply: Consumer trust is everything; if TP and Merlin cannot get a majority of there big rides running - the trust that remains will not last. I'm afraid something must be done.

I do think that Thorpe's reliability is starting to get appauling. Although it has been appauling for a long time, it has only just dawned on me how bad it actually is. I can't see a dedicated ride closure list on the alton Towers website ready, just in case a ride does break. If there is a ride closure, it comes up on the scroll bar. Never, have I even bothered to check because I know that the likelihood is that no ride will be closed. The odd break down may occur during the day for half an hour, but NEVER a week. However, on Thorpe's site, there is a 24/7 ride closure list on hold! Most of the time, there is at least one ride on that list. When I lived in America, I visited Kings Dominion numerous times, and there was never any ride closed! It seems this is the case for most parks around the world. Why Thorpe Park? It's sister park (Alton Towers) seems to have it perfect. It's gotten to the point where I am checking the list weeks before I go every day like a maniac just to see if it is worth going. When we get there, we always panic and ask our selves, what if Stealth is closed. What if Rush is closed? What if there are 5 rides closed? It's ridiculous. If Alton can do it, why can't Thorpe? Saying this, most times I have been, I have had a fantastic day and rides do open, but other times, I have had horrible days. *End ANOTHER Rant :) *

tpkabz, was it really testing? at what time?, really great if it was! What were queues like?

It was testing. I was allowed on the actual park for like 30 mins (still not enough time ride ANYTHING). But it was testing with empty cars, no dummies, at around 2:45pm.Also I can honestly say those blades are just ssssshhhhhh, they might as well not spin.

To be fair to Thorpe, it's a brand new coaster - it will have a lot of teething problems, they did a great job to get it up yesterday and keep it up all day and they deserve some credit for that. It's just a shame about what happened today and it should be expected with any new coaster really.

To be fair I've paid over £150 including train fare to go to Thorpe tomorrow with main goal of riding Saw: The RideI don't buy into it's a new ride so should have lots of problems. We all saw those cars rolling out of the station building countless times with no hiccups. And for all those people who say it takes them time to get use to operating the ride with guest visitors I think says a lot about Thorpe's failure of adequate management. If I splashed out £13m+ on a new ride, I would demand. no EXPECT that the ride operators would know how to work it flawlessly before opening. Even if it means inviting 100 people off the street to help them practice for coping with visitors.I'm just hoping it opens later on in the day or that guest services will offer me a reduction on a coming back to the park or something cause this news has come as a massive disappointment to me and I'm sure it will come to many who had planned to go tomorrow.I'm not a moaner, but I've had my heart set on tomorrow for ages, and I genuinely feel let down by Thorpe. :)

If I splashed out £13m+ on a new ride, I would demand. no EXPECT that the ride operators would know how to work it flawlessly before opening. Even if it means inviting 100 people off the street to help them practice for coping with visitors.

That was one of the purposes of the Annual Pass day and that day did indeed run flawlessly. Shutdowns happen and they're unavoidable with the exception of shutdowns for cleaning puke and weather.If you're really not happy about visiting tomorrow, ring Guest Services and they will be able to change your ticket to a different date. If you're gonna travel by train still, just go down to your station and they will be able to refund your ticket / exchange it.It's not worth visiting at a time when the staff are still going through training and everything isn't running as smoothly as it should be. If you really do want the best experience out of Saw I would personally recommend changing your ticket date. I really hope nobody else experiences the shambles that we experienced today.

One thing after another for the Park this weekend.

This weekend? More like every weekend.Lets summarise thenCurrently Shut RidesSaw- The RideStealthSlammerColossusRushQuantumLoggers LeapRumba RapidsCurrently AvailableNemesis InfernoTidal WaveVortexSamuraiFlying FishX:/ No Way OutDetonatorBanana BoatCarouselRocky ExpressOctopus GardensAs you can see, the available list is only bigger than unavailable list by 3 rides, and half of the available rides aren't even that good!

Soorrrry, double post!

Welcome to THORPE PARK! We are now open for the main season. Please be aware that the Park is currently experiencing a power cut in the local area which is affecting a number of our attractions and we are currently awaiting further updates at this time.