Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Unfortunately, flats by generally all main parks at the moment are being ignored or even culled, give thorpe 10 years and it'll probably be just quantum & detonator left.

So Thorpe are going to get rid of Rush, Zodiac, Samurai, Slammer, Rocky Express, Vortex, Dodgems, and Teacups in 10 years and replace them with nothing?

I genuinely don't see why you would think that all those rides would:

1) leave

2) not be replaced by other 'filler' attractions

Especially given that Thorpe haven't removed any flat rides at all and seem to work themselves to the bone to keep them operational...

So Thorpe are going to get rid of Rush, Zodiac, Samurai, Slammer, Rocky Express, Vortex, Dodgems, and Teacups in 10 years and replace them with nothing?

I genuinely don't see why you would think that all those rides would:

1) leave

2) not be replaced by other 'filler' attractions

Especially given that Thorpe haven't removed any flat rides at all and seem to work themselves to the bone to keep them operational...

That was excluding the dodgems, teacups & rocky and emphasising on the rest.

Given the way things are going in the industry with Merlin and the facts that:

1/ the themepaek industry is turning more towards immersive experiences where outside of Disney & Universal's additions we have seen the likes of Baron1898, Helix, Chiapas and even Merlin's in brand rides such as Smiler,Swarm, Thirteen and to a lesser extent Saw & Sub-Terra

2/ merlin haven't installed a 'thrilling' flat ride with the possible exception of Kobra

3/ two of Thorpe's flats are very much dying (one hasn't made the end of season for years and the other either opens late or closes early each year), whilst the other few arent running as fluently as they used to

4/ Thorpe isn't a massive place and once WC16 is done we will only only have the island next Swarm, what's left empty of fungle and the shark hotel (if it ever leaves) and once that's built on, the park will likely be out of land and on the assumption further I filling isn't possible will mean old rides will have to be replaced. Judging by the large footprint lost city's flats take and that they will be 21-24 years old, their area could come home to a big new ride/coaster in the future.

Kudos to thorpe for keeping slammer and samurai going for so long (towers would've culled them years ago), but it's a matter of time, ok 10 years might be too soon but quite possibly 15.

Alton have said they intend to get rid of a few haven't they? Even my dad commented about the lack of 'kids' rides at Towers last week compared to Thorpe. (He calls them kids rather than flats).

Talking of pensioners, if you have catch up find OAP's Behaving Badly (channel 5) there's a small section on there this week that was about a couple of pensioners who tour the worlds roller coasters, but their favourite is Nemesis, and they've ridden it over 3800 times, the segment follows their last trip there before one has to have an operation.

Given the way things are going in the industry with Merlin and the facts that:

1/ the themepaek industry is turning more towards immersive experiences where outside of Disney & Universal's additions we have seen the likes of Baron1898, Helix, Chiapas and even Merlin's in brand rides such as Smiler,Swarm, Thirteen and to a lesser extent Saw & Sub-Terra

I don't think that's entirely true, (besides that Helix is certainly not that much of an experience, styled rather than themed), there are still a lot of parks adding flats across the world... Lots of Sky Flys and Air Races since they're the most popular at the current time are springing up throughout... Six Flags and Cedar Fair have mostly added flat rides recently (although SF have tried to promote them as coasters, idiots)...

There's still demand for flat rides, and it is disappointing that Merlin seem to be avoiding them... Presumably because of a lack of USP, yet Chessie would do really well to get an Air Race or generally ANYTHING...

It's a shame merlin can't do more. We know they read the fan sites, and I for one have never seen THIS much complaint (that's saying something) on the forum.

Merlin need to see the damage they're doing, although they won't give a crap until no one visits (chessington especially), and that's never gonna happen until Paramount opens, and merlin have to re-approach investment (or lack of), and operations of their dated parks.

• 2 weeks later...

So the new Nitrogenie ice cream shop has opened now!

11659343_10153325513791201_8652710545287

(Photo from Alton Towers facebook page)

A regular tub is £4.25, a cone is £4.50 and a large tub is £4.95 and there is no annual pass discount. It does seem pretty expensive, but it looks so nice! Will defiantly give it a try next time I'm there!

All sounds pretty exciting (bar the slightly expensive price tags), about time we finally had something positive after the continuous negative slack from the Smiler accident.

Hopefully the 'no pass discount' is only a tempory thing as I'm sure I heard somewhere its hoped to be sorted soon.

So the new Nitrogenie ice cream shop has opened now!

11659343_10153325513791201_8652710545287

(Photo from Alton Towers facebook page)

A regular tub is £4.25, a cone is £4.50 and a large tub is £4.95 and there is no annual pass discount. It does seem pretty expensive, but it looks so nice! Will defiantly give it a try next time I'm there!

Can't believe this has opened...the day AFTER I was there last. :(

It'll be successful.  People expect to pay money at theme parks and will be prepared to pay extra for the idea of something 'magical'.  This is just a high-end product on park.

Personally I'd prefer to try this franchise outside of a theme park as it does sound pretty cool.  But at a theme park, I look either for quick and easy food or themed food  Since this is neither, I likely won't be trying it at Alton any time soon.

When they rip you off for little bottle of coke at three times the price you can get it elsewhere then it rightly pisses people off that the captive audience is being exploited, but when it's something out if the ordinary and a bit special like this it's fine really. I'd try it.

To be fair, whenever there's somewhere with a captive audience anywhere in the world the prices suddenly shoot up...

Be it a theme park, or museum, or football stadium...

So it seems some point over the weekend this happened

11057255_896696567067455_195022627573072

11403109_896696390400806_314831471070670

11063759_896696323734146_120049243956786

11222802_896696423734136_788342483017225

'Extreme' safety signs have appeared at many ride fences throughout the park warning danger of death and trespassers will be prosecuted. Also Somic's fence near the ride has been slightly increased in height.

Justifiable extreme precautions or petty over the top safety?

Personally I'd say as annoying it seems, seeing that around 5% of guests who visit don't always oblige with safety, cause havoc and have their 'mortal' attitudes of going in to restricted areas, this is the best way even when ironically you go over to Europe and many parks there get away (and don't seem to have problems) with fences half that level.

The signs seem very over the top considering that there are over 100 around the park now (according to TowersStreet), and having them plastered everywhere ruins the escapism of the park and themes of the rides.  As for the raised fences, they could have at least done them properly - they look dire like that!

Pretty good way to summarise merlin :D.

By having something that is perfectly fine and make it unnecessarily over-the-top?  Not sure many would summarise Merlin in that way... ;)

The whole low thing about fences being too low is silly.  It's a shame UK parks can't expect people to not use a bit of common sense really.  At least these things are very minor and can be easily ignored.

If the fence was done properly it would be easy to ignore, but that is just a bodge job and if I can't believe they are happy to leave it looking as naff as that!

Agreed about common sense though, it angers me to see so many unnecessary changes occurring at theme parks as a result of people's stupidity.

As Bill said, these signs are common as much at most places sensitive to having people jump into their ride areas (I.e. USA)...

Like, the addition of these is nothing to really moan about, would not be surprised if the HSE, having been having a much closer look at the park recently, have pushed for these...

Not worth getting in a twist over, like apparently the word 'DEATH' being a step too far... It's words like that which can actually get through the rather thick skulls of the modern population... Even Russia had has to do signs over people taking selfies doing stupid things! It's the world we live in...

The way I see it is that something like that won't detract from my day. Yes, it's silly and isn't the nicest thing in the world, but it isn't going to ruin my day. It's easily ignored, and if seen, just makes you chuckle and you move on from it.

I'd be a bit more annoyed if this was a themed or styled fence we were talking about, but given it's a bog standard fence, I just find it very difficult to get worked up by something like this.