Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

It is worded that way because it is an internal memo intended for F&B staff only and should not have been posted on the internet. :)

You see, I was thinking this; it just seemed too blunt.  But according to the TT article that posted the picture, it was handed out to a guest.  If true, it makes it difficult to go with the whole "it shouldn't have been posted online" argument. :/

Was on-park today! Ride queues was below average for summer, but reaching 40 minutes for some thrills and not dropping under 30 minutes for Cbeebies Land is pretty good.

All in all, the place seems to be getting back into the sync of things, Smiler needs a good clean before opening tho, filthy ride (that said, most of the park is starting to look tired).  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Busiest day in a while for towers yesterday still nothing amazing but 13,000 gate figure saying queue times were 0 at towers today simply wasnt right ...... Sonic and ritas queues were both full at times today other rides had queues due to reduced trains ect thirteen and air were both on 2 train op ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not going to do a trip report, cause you've heard the ride stuff all before, I just wanted to make a few comments based on my trip yesterday.

- Park was empty, like it was about to close down empty. At first I found it funny but then the realisation set in how badly the Smiler incident has affected the park. Only two shuttles on Oblivion and not able to fill a single one. Five cars on Spinball, nearly all empty. One train on Nemesis, Rita, Air and only really one being used on Thirteen and only the Intamin pair being used with full trains. Barely anyone around at all, desolate. Loads of rides done but zero atmosphere on park at all.

- Don't like CBeebies land. Apart from the gaudy colours which are already starting to age, the character of rides like Squirrel Nutty and Riverbank Eye Spy is completely gone. Shame that style rules over substance to get people getting into this area as I really liked the farm. 

- No breakdowns seen at all. All rides were running well (even if Nemesis was a teeny bit bumpy). Particularly liked Thirteen. 

- Smiler was moving all day and I feel for the staff who had people all the time running up to ask if it was about to open.

- Saw some pheasants. Yeah, it was that quiet.

Wow! 

that report makes Towers seem like a ghost town and just hearing it makes me feel how sad that a once bustling park is heavilly desserted. 

Towers has hit a new dark age it seems and the Smiler has severly scarred the park. It may not be until 2017 that I expect the park to receive a full recovery and appears SW8 as a result has been delayed, or worse cancelled as a result especially as I heard an application or something was supposed to be submitted in August but never happened.

I understand they are trying to save money, but these "let's close _______" are getting ridiculous. If I hadn't already sorted a date and booked hotels etc. I don't think I'd bother this year.

Oh yeah, Hex, CatcF, Twirling Toadstool, Driving School and Froghopper will open from 11. Wobble World will close on Saturday as well.

I just can't help but feel that these closures aren't that big a deal. I bet all those rides aren't popular during the hours they will be closed, so won't be missed that much. And in a time where the park is insanely quiet and need to minimise loss, what else can they do?

I don't like the fact they're doing this, and I bet Alton hate it too, but it seems to be the lesser of all the evils in my eyes.

I can't really believe most of you didn't see this coming. On the day of the crash it became pretty clear that the parks were going to have cuts, why would you expect anything less? Complaining that they're closing Battle Galleons for several hours in mid-autumn doesn't make much sense at all to be honest. 

I think they've actually done rather well. I half expected them to cut Scarefest hours back, close two major areas until 12pm each day and ditch the first week of the event all together.

I know it might be disappointing, especially if you'd already booked; but it wasn't that unforeseen, the park has been hobbling along all season.

I agree, and a lot of these decisions wouldn't come solely because of cost cutting. The operational departments must be having a very difficult time with so many rides and so few people. Much better to change times of rides that have so little ridership, than to simply close the whole park early

Being at s theme park when there are so few people there but all the rides are open is a REALLY weird experience, if any of you have done it