Jump to content
Topsyturvy15

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Recommended Posts

I really enjoyed Dr Archibald, it all synced up really well and was pretty effective in creating fun scares.

 

Ridiculously, while clearly nothing like as technologically advanced it was actually more of an enjoyable experience than the £millions worth of DBGT. Makes you realise DBGT just isn't fun however clever it is, and when you are literally creating a world from scratch in a VR headset why would fun not be your starting point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't try Dr Archibald, because screw paying £9 for a ride. I felt very aggrieved doing it for Olympia, so it's going to take something special for me to part with that sort of money for one attraction again.

 

Regarding VR though, it's still very much in its infancy as a piece of technology, and even moreso in a theme park setting. Just think, how long was 3D around before it was used in a ride (not a cinema)? How long was interactive shooting technology around before it was used in a ride? These are questions I don't know the answer to, but I've no doubt they were around a lot longer than VR was before theme parks implemented them. That obviously makes a huge difference to the quality, reliability and overall success of that technology.

 

I truly believe VR (and by extension, the lesser known AR) has a place in theme parks, and in maybe 10-15 years times they'll be a part of some of the most well known, well loved attractions in the industry. But right now, it's just too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

Regarding VR though, it's still very much in its infancy as a piece of technology, and even moreso in a theme park setting. Just think, how long was 3D around before it was used in a ride (not a cinema)? How long was interactive shooting technology around before it was used in a ride? These are questions I don't know the answer to, but I've no doubt they were around a lot longer than VR was before theme parks implemented them. That obviously makes a huge difference to the quality, reliability and overall success of that technology.

My first VR experience at a theme park was in Pleasurewood Hills in about 1991, was a headset, moving chair, and glove to interact in the VR world. So it's been about quite a while!

 

I get what you are saying, and I'm sure improvements will come, but all the time you have to clean headsets between one sweaty punter and the next (and realistically, that will always be the case) VR will forever remain too labour intensive, too low throughput to be a real mainstream part of theme park line ups. 

 

What Europa have done with CanCan seems spot on; dedicated station, ride vehicle slips in between the standard ride vehicles, pay per ride, VR experience beyond the actual coaster (getting on the ride vehicle in the VR world 😮 ), and fun once it's running. They've got it right where DBGT and Galactica got it very wrong in the era of the same technology, as has Dr Archibald. It's going to work much better in a pay per ride situation like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pluk said:

My first VR experience at a theme park was in Pleasurewood Hills in about 1991, was a headset, moving chair, and glove to interact in the VR world. So it's been about quite a while!

Is that not more akin to, say, a 4D cinema though? A very different scenario if so, and yes, one that has been around since the late 80s!

 

I agree that cleanliness and practicality is a huge problem, and perhaps will always be one. I guess that's something which, in time, AR could be a solution to - just having googles that can overlay graphics onto the real world seems like a significantly smoother approach. 

 

Europa have probably consisting got VR right (or, at least, as right as you can get for now!) all the time through their implementation. The idea of putting VR goggles on before riding and integrating the boarding experience in the VR world is amazing, and again something which I think would be a part of the future successes of VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of cleaning headsets, how often does DBGT get cleaned because it’s certainly wasn’t after each go as when they were holding people right outside the carriage you were sent straight in as soon as the exit side opened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ringo said:

On the subject of cleaning headsets, how often does DBGT get cleaned because it’s certainly wasn’t after each go as when they were holding people right outside the carriage you were sent straight in as soon as the exit side opened

They get cleaned whilst your in the tunnel scene as far as I know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marc said:

They get cleaned whilst your in the tunnel scene as far as I know!

 

Bit of an issue surely if they're not cleaning them between different groups? Especially given there seems to be a chance that two people would wear one headset given seating arrangements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Benin said:

 

Bit of an issue surely if they're not cleaning them between different groups? Especially given there seems to be a chance that two people would wear one headset given seating arrangements?

That’s what I was thinking, cleaned while in the tunnel get back on watch last video end of ride then new people get on and put uncleaned headsets on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is how it has been from the very start too for the record, not something which they changed.

 

There had been discussions about how best to do it, and that's clearly what was agreed on. Not all public / entertainment VR headsets are cleaned after every use, so it's not actually as uncommon as you'd think.

 

I imagine that, on the whole, anytime you put a headset on in DBGT, it's (hygienically speaking) cleaner than, say, a roller coaster backrest. But of course, the obvious concern is that you're putting this next to your eyes, where problems can rise significantly easier. 

 

I don't think any problems have arose aside from the odd bit of makeup being leftover on headsets. Whether that's because Thorpe have got the cleaning thing right or if they're playing with fire, though, is unclear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh it's obviously a general issue with all VR based attractions, but the majority at least clean them either in between cycles or have a bulk load of them...

 

I mean the amount of cleaning just those crap little 3D glasses get over the course of their life (granted they can go through industrial steamers which helps) but should anything happen they've not really got a leg to stand on... Least Towers can say the their stuff got cleaned between dispatches...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Benin said:

Least Towers can say the their stuff got cleaned between dispatches...

I don’t know about that when it opened they were using 1 wipe to clean 1 row so the dirt was simply moved from each headset meaning only one headset actually got cleaned. Whether that’s changed now who knows as I certainly don’t queue up for VR but it was noticed by a lot at the time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×