The Smiler

th13teen

Posted Image8 Inversions. Or at least, 8 on the outside.1) Dive Loop, 2) Dive Loop, 3 Batwing (2 inversions), 4) Sidewinder/Sea Serpent (2 inversions), 5) Cobra roll (2 inversions).The first lift hill is a standard one, and takes up the first four inversions. Then the Batwing hops onto the brake run and the vertical lift for the second section, which covers the last four inversions.

Everyone is saying this is '100% Eurofighter' and to be honest this is complete bull****.Althougth the manufacturer is Gerstlauer, it is clear from the track design that this is a totally new concept from them, the track with a spine is like nothing they have designed before, and may even invovle new cars/trains (althougth its gonna be single car because of the vertical lift).I like Gerstlauer, and I dont understand all of this bad press they get. They make excellent coasters at very reasonable prices - and as a result have allowed smaller park to develop their audience eg Adventure Island and Oakwood.It will be interesting to see whether they can pull this off, I have every confidence that they will... :P

I'm not sure on the Euro-Fighter but the application said

3.1 Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located atThorpe Park. The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as theproposed ride

Saw is a Euro-Fighter so if its the same type than it has to be a Euro-Fighter, but anything could happen, the next two months will be very busy, once its approved its down with the tent straight away, ill be shocked if we don't see little signs outside x-sector on opening day

Everyone is saying this is '100% Eurofighter' and to be honest this is complete bull****.Althougth the manufacturer is Gerstlauer, it is clear from the track design that this is a totally new concept from them, the track with a spine is like nothing they have designed before, and may even invovle new cars/trains (althougth its gonna be single car because of the vertical lift).

This part of your post confuses me Jack. This ride is clearly influenced by Gerstlauer's first attempt at a Giant Eurofighter. Have you not seen Takabisha? Granted, the lift is different to standard Eurofighter models in that it's not vertical, but the design, layout and track are nothing new to Gerstlauer.

I like Gerstlauer, and I dont understand all of this bad press they get. They make excellent coasters at very reasonable prices - and as a result have allowed smaller park to develop their audience eg Adventure Island and Oakwood.It will be interesting to see whether they can pull this off, I have every confidence that they will... :P

Saw hardly had the best reliability come opening :D But hopefully mistakes have been learnt from and this will go abit smoother (literally too!)

I like Gerstlauer, and I dont understand all of this bad press they get. They make excellent coasters at very reasonable prices - and as a result have allowed smaller park to develop their audience eg Adventure Island and Oakwood.

I agree with this to a point. Certainly Gerstlauer have made some fantastic rides such as G'Sengte Sau and Speed. I must admit a lot of "oh it's Gerstlauer" comes from the fact that it isn't B&M or Intamin more then Gerstlauer's reputation because Gerstlauers reputation is very positive. Basing it all on Saw is mismatched because A) It's at Thorpe and :P You can never judge an entire company on one ride.I must admit though, at this point I'm not extremely excited but that's because we've got Swarm, Voodan, European Montu to go before we reach 2013.

I must admit though, at this point I'm not extremely excited but that's because we've got Swarm, Voodan, European Montu to go before we reach 2013.

This. 2012 is an incredible year for European coaster enthusiasts! I might aim to ride all 3 before the year is out...Independently of what's opening this year and judged on their own merits though, AT's plans for 2013 do look very exciting.

With the above 3 mentioned coasters (Wodan, Swarm and Oz'Iris) - they're going to be superb rides, but I can already have a good old presume about how they will feel, because they're manufactured by companies which, although brilliant, tend to have a certain comfort zone and sensation (by the way, that's not to say it's a bad thing at all).With Alton's development, it's a lot more "crazy" and "unknown" compared to those, and for that reason I find it very exciting. I just hope it turns out a considerably better ride than the likes of Saw and Huracan, and is more along the quality lines of Anubis, Dare Devil Dive or Fluch von Novgorod.:P

I agree with this to a point. Certainly Gerstlauer have made some fantastic rides such as G'Sengte Sau and Speed. I must admit a lot of "oh it's Gerstlauer" comes from the fact that it isn't B&M or Intamin more then Gerstlauer's reputation because Gerstlauers reputation is very positive. Basing it all on Saw is mismatched because A) It's at Thorpe and :P You can never judge an entire company on one ride.

To add to this, I think Gerstlauer bashing comes from how, in the UK, they were more used at 'smaller' parks, not the big name parks people relate to the UK. I don't have a problem with them, and think that their designs are pretty great ones.

With Alton's development, it's a lot more "crazy" and "unknown" compared to those, and for that reason I find it very exciting. I just hope it turns out a considerably better ride than the likes of Saw and Huracan, and is more along the quality lines of Anubis, Dare Devil Dive or Fluch von Novgorod.

This. This new ride is just maniac, and I think the compact design of it really adds to the experience. I'm a fan of Saw, and certainly think that it would be better if those elements were more compact. Also, with rides such as Anubis, Novgorod and Takabisha from Gerstlauer, this attraction is VERY promising.

Already looks promising in the pacing department if this is anywhere close to accurate. The video reaffirms my concerns about the final turn that I got when looking at the plans though - it has potential to be a real head smasher like Saw's turn into the brakes. Fingers crossed it won't be.